Headphone jack question - Axe FX II

Tex777

What is the impedance rating for the headphone jack on the Axe FX II? I was only able to find the specs for the impedance of the front and rear input / output jacks (i.e. line and instrument) but unless I missed something, none for the headphones. I ask because I'm using a pair of AKG 240's to monitor with, and everything sounds dark and muddy through them via the headphone jack on the Axe FX II. Yet they sound perfectly fine if I use them from my computer output, or if I monitor the Axe FX through my M-Audio monitors.

Any ideas and suggestions would be welcome. I usually run the Axe FX through my Firepod / FP10. If I use the headphones through the output on the Firepod I still have the same issue.

I,m using akg 240 mII and they sound great,had a pair of the 240's with ultra and sounded good? Maybe try a different pair with the axeII .some times the adapter for 1/8 to 1/4 gets lose .

Headphones sound the same with axe headphone output or external interface output?

I'll just try to format it like this to prevent confusion:

AKG 240's:
Axe FX II -> Muddy
Firepod -> Muddy
Computer Headphone Jack -> No problem
iPod (Lol) -> No problem

Studio monitors:
Axe FX II -> Fine (same patches that sound muddy through AKG's)
Everything else -> Fine

And when I say muddy it's not something subtle like a +/- 3db change, it's like I'm listening to it through a wall. Complete lack of high end and definition. As a hobbyist audio enthusiast I'm really, really confused as to why this would be happening, since it should sound /better/ through a 'tuned' headphone jack on my Firepod or on the Axe FX.

I tried a different 1/4 adapter and it seems to be a little better now. I don't know. Maybe I'm just losing my mind. :shock

I used a variety of headphones with my AxeFX II ranging from Sennheiser HD 497, HD650, Shure SRH840 and Sleek Audio SA-1 and they all sounded great, no muddiness at all.

The only common factor I see there is that the AxeFX II and the Firepod require a 1/4 adapter while your computer jack and iPod do not. I assume your output to the firepod is not from the front headphone jack of the Axe II but from one of the outputs from the back right? If that's the case my suspicion is that something is wrong with the 1/4 adapters or with the 1/8 plug of the headphones with those said adapters.

Are you 1/4 adapters loose or tight? if they are loose they might not make proper contact to send the signal properly.you should try with other headphones or earphones to compare if you can.

I tried them against my ATH-m50's and I guess maybe it's just that I didn't realize /how/ bassy the AKG's were until I put them on the Axe FX. The ATH's sounded fine. I tried using two or three different 1/4 or 1/8" adapters on them, but nothing much changed. I originally was using the included screw-on adapter, which I may not have had on all the way when I was testing it. -shrug- Like I said, I may just be losing my mind over here, lol.

Back
Top Bottom