Headphone amp needed?

I recently picked up a set of the beyerdynamics dt770 80ohms. I love the way they sound but am having low volume issues compared to my old, cheaper, sennheiser headphones. Would it be recommended to get a headphone amp? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a pair of the Beyerdynamic 770 Pro 250 Ohm headphones and the FM3 will get comfortably loud. It’s pretty much maxed out but I see no reason to use a separate headphone amp.

Same here, i see no value ad in adding a headphone amp, FM3 is capable to drive your headphones to reach "tinitus" level

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll probably take the weekend to see if I'm happy with the output as is.
If your output seems too low, make sure your signal level in the grid is appropriate using the meters views in layout grid or the home screen meters view.

For perspective, on the afore-mentioned headphones I usually have to turn the output 1 volume control on the front panel to maybe 10 o'clock to get plenty of volume.

For me, not at all. I've used headphones up to 300 ohms and never get past half volume.

I have the 770 Pro 80 ohm headphones as well and they barely need more than 1/4 to 1/3 volume.

I use 300ohms headphones with no issues, vol1 around 14:00. I suggest looking at your presets level. I used to have mine set for recording (-10db at DAW) which will be too low for headphones.

I still occasionally struggle with levels on my presets, so I'll go back and see if I can make some adjustments. I appreciate everyone's responses, you saved me some money this weekend haha.

Back
Top Bottom