Headphone amp/Monitor for home use?

paultanderberg

Inspired
So I'm in the process of trying to figure out if the AxeFX route is the way to go for me and the AX8 (I'm on the wait list) seems like a great alternative to the AxeFX II cost-wise but the fact that it doesn't have headphones out worries me a little for creating presets at home. I'd be using it live through IEMs (1964 V6-stages) and I'd love to create presets using them so there's no huge variation between home use and live monitoring.

What's the best headphone amp to use with the AX8? Or would you guys recommend using flat, active studio monitors to create presets?

I would prefer not to use headphones for preset programming. Use monitors instead. When I need to go with headphones, I would go thru my audio interface.
Live, I use a Rolls personal monitor system.

Get one of those little 4x2 desktop mixers or a USB audio interface and run it in to that. I'd say grab one that supports 48k sampling over SPDIF if you can because then it's one little coax cable to hook it up. I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro with my AFII and it works great. You don't even have to layout that much money though. A Scarlett 6i6 gets you the SPDIF connection for, I think, under $200.

Headphones.jpg
Lots of good monitoring options out there, but configuring presets on the same gear it will be performed on is more accurate.

Last edited:
Mackie 402VLZ4, 4-channel Ultra Compact Mixer with High Quality Onyx Preamps Amazon product ASIN B00EDRUQXC
That's what I use for headphone monitoring and it works and sounds great. I can also plug my phone into the tape input and jam along with backing tracks and stuff.

I'm pretty sure I've come across this before and I believe it was shared that someone could use a Y-cable into the outs to use for headphones.

Absolutely. You can use an Y-cable. Like the one below (with two additional cinch-to-1/4" jacks).
Output level is loud enough, even with 250 Ohm headphones.

hqsa-013.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've come across this before and I believe it was shared that someone could use a Y-cable into the outs to use for headphones.

But it'd be difficult to mix in other sources. I can't help but recommend an audio interface for the computer/recording or a small mixer to mix in pther audio sources and for headphone amplification and Studio Monitor mix.

It's all good. I was just reading his question as could he use headphones with the AX8 to adjust his presets without waking up the family. A mixer/audio interface would offer additional options. :)

Yes, to mix multiple inputs/outputs, a small mixer (with a headphones jack) is handy. I use the Yamaha AG06 (after reading a post from Chris).
It's cheap and wonderful.

I support the mini-mixer idea. Nothing like having a physical fader to drop the volume fast when a Youtube ad popup about diapers (because your daughter watched an episode of My Little Pony before ... it wasn't me, I swear!) is way louder than the video you just watched.

Reactions: yek
What you want is the Roland Octa/Quad-Capture. This is the solution to all your problems. It's a sound card, a mixer, a headphone amp, everything. Volume knob on the front. Advanced volume control, 4 seperate direct monitoring sub mixes, fastest drivers period, really great mic-preamps.

The Komplete Audio 6 is the best deal (at under $200) that I could find for I/O with:

• S/PDIF for recording the AX8 directly
• Preamps that are highly regarded by pros
• Headphone out
• Direct monitoring of all 4 inputs
• Quad ins/outs
• Cubase LE is a bonus

Really love this little interface. Wish I bought it sooner.

Sweetwater will probably sell you one for $180 if you ask.

The Komplete Audio 6 is the best deal (at under $200) that I could find for I/O with:

• S/PDIF for recording the AX8 directly
• Preamps that are highly regarded by pros
• Headphone out
• Direct monitoring of all 4 inputs
• Quad ins/outs
• Cubase LE is a bonus

Really love this little interface. Wish I bought it sooner.

Sweetwater will probably sell you one for $180 if you ask.
I got my eye on this too.. .might need to pull t he trigger to get S/PDIF abilities on my Mac-Mini

Back
Top Bottom