Heading to Hawaii - Bring Laptop for Long Flight?

Warrior

Power User
The wife and I are headed to Hawaii in 9 days and I'm tempted to bring my laptop to work on some tracks during the 10 hour flight. I'm just wondering if I would regret having that extra weight, etc when I will not be using it except for the plane ride.

I'll be bringing my iPad for my other computer needs while there (looking up vacation related stuff)

Anyone else do this and have any thoughts?

Well, I do it, but my laptop holds longer than an iPad.

Other than that, or picking an airline that has AC plugs on board, I’m not sure what can help.

Up to you. Theft of property from vehicles used to be a huge problem at tourist sites here. Now it's just a problem. LMK if you want any travel tips, especially for Oahu.

A whole vacation without my laptop? Just a tablet? Please shoot me now. I'd ditch the tablet to go laptop only in a heartbeat. :cool::D

Up to you. Theft of property from vehicles used to be a huge problem at tourist sites here. Now it's just a problem. LMK if you want any travel tips, especially for Oahu.

Would appreciate any tips you can offer!

Thanks!

My last trip to Kaui, I just took my iPad. Wanted enjoy the natural beauty of the island. Mostly slept on the plane.

I've traveled in the last 2 years 2 times on a 17 hour flight

half the stuff I brought was just for the plane

so- it's def worth it

Business trip or vacation? For business, it's your call.

For vacation, I would leave the laptop at home, unless you can convince yourself that you're actually going to get things done on the plane, lol. And for me at least, my hearing isn't quite the same at altitude as it is on the ground. So, if you'll be mixing any tracks, you might be hearing things somewhat differently.

I brought my laptop on a trip last month, never used it once. Red eye flight one way, early bird flight the other way. Basically I slept on the plane, lol. I ended up regretting bringing it. I kept it locked in the suitcase at the first hotel, locked in the safe in second hotel. My wife didn't say anything, but I know she thought I was an idiot. Basically I used my phone for everything, even for work email & google spreadsheets.

BTW I love airplane food. It's like backyard camping at 37000 feet.

Yeah, I would not leave it in a vehicle, that's for sure.

My last trip to Kaui, I just took my iPad. Wanted enjoy the natural beauty of the island. Mostly slept on the plane.

Would only be for plane ride. Enjoying Hawaii is priority 1. Any usage on the island would be for making reservations, looking up attractions, etc.

I've traveled in the last 2 years 2 times on a 17 hour flight

half the stuff I brought was just for the plane

so- it's def worth it

Yeah, I can only watch so many movies and don't sleep well unless in business class and can lay down. Still thinking.

Business trip or vacation? For business, it's your call.

For vacation, I would leave the laptop at home, unless you can convince yourself that you're actually going to get things done on the plane, lol. And for me at least, my hearing isn't quite the same at altitude as it is on the ground. So, if you'll be mixing any tracks, you might be hearing things somewhat differently.

I brought my laptop on a trip last month, never used it once. Red eye flight one way, early bird flight the other way. Basically I slept on the plane, lol. I ended up regretting bringing it. I kept it locked in the suitcase at the first hotel, locked in the safe in second hotel. My wife didn't say anything, but I know she thought I was an idiot. Basically I used my phone for everything, even for work email & google spreadsheets.

BTW I love airplane food. It's like backyard camping at 37000 feet.

Vacation. Would not be mixing. I would work on arrangements for songs I'm working on and also developing drum & bass parts (via VI's) to either use the VI's or give to bassist/drummer to lay down tracks.

Definitely don't want it to get stolen. It certainly wouldn't leave the room. My wife would also think I was an idiot. In fact, she already does. LOL!

I always bring like 4-5 separate things to do that I go between so I don't get board
So- movies, then maybe a real book, then maybe bullshit computer busy work, some sort of work

BUT my last flight I discovered sleeping pills and that was awesome

Been to Hawaii 5 times....Laptop and Tablet for plane. You need options.

I've mixed on my Thinkpad on a plane....but after a couple hours of doing it in a cramped seat (it's hard to folk out the laptop enough to see the screen...and my Thinkpad is tiny), you will want a break.
When you want a break, pull out the Tablet and watch some movies or TV series.

Last trip there with my wife, we downloaded a couple seasons of some good TV shows and watched them all on the plane rides.

I had them both in a backpack and it's an easy carry. And as noted, put chargers in that bag as well.

Heading out tomorrow..... bringing laptop with several sessions I want to work on (not mixing) and iPad with a bunch of episodes of "The 100" - a Netflix show I got hooked on over the holiday.

Hey which Island are you going to? I lived on the Big Island for a year and if you can make it over there, Hilo is one of the most beautiful towns you can have the pleasure of being in. It's not the tourist side of the island (that would be Kona, where the coffee comes from) but it's thick and lush and beautiful and if you can make it, do it.

Just out of curiosity - if you have a laptop, what's the point of carrying a second device for watching movies?

Hilo is nice as Max H said. Saturday's alert was a bit unsettling. At least we played a gig the night before with excellent Fractal tone so I had that. Plus doubts about whether Kim Jong can aim. Considering I live pretty far from Pearl Harbor that wasn't necessarily reassuring.

Back
Top Bottom