head phones

Sennheiser HD280 Pro. $95 at GC. Better than the Audio Technicas that got stolen, more comfortable, sound great. Bonus: curly cord for when I forget they're on and decide to move.

I have the AKG 702, and they sound good and have had some very long sessions and they felt comfortable right till the end, only downside looks like you have 2 mattresses strapped to your head when wearing them :)

I use the exact same ones...I can hear my Utube (U2-Tutorials) thru my computer speakers and my geetar via Orange Cab !! They are great and lightweight...!
they're definitely not your neighbor friendly headphones, but yes, i like them cos they don't wear my head down which my audio technicas do..
i have a delicate noggin :D

I've owned Byerdynamic Dt 770s and Audio Technica ATH-M50s, but ultimately ended up with V-Moda M-100s. Love them! Excellent cans for EVERYTHING including un-amped iPhone and/or laptop use. They sound absolutely incredible with the Axe-Fx too.

Isn't the goal for speakers/headphones a flat response, regardless of source?
Which is where the whole comparison thing tends to fall IMHO. Flat, neutral monitoring that doesn't color anything or show the warts typically don't sound good. :)

So the question is which is more important, great sound or great accuracy?

And it's surprising how many times you hear someone that says that they want true accurate sound and are miserable once they get it.

Which is where the whole comparison thing tends to fall IMHO. Flat, neutral monitoring that doesn't color anything or show the warts typically don't sound good. :)

So the question is which is more important, great sound or great accuracy?

And it's surprising how many times you hear someone that says that they want true accurate sound and are miserable once they get it.

You've hit the nail on the head. When I get a new set of headphones it takes a while for my ears to 'break in'. I find them boring at the start until a period of time passes and I have to critically listen to something. Then the joy I get is more subtle, like a satisfaction more than an excitement.

I find if the sound of an audio system excites me, then it's probably too hifi.

For me, if I'm being paid to listen and analyse, then accuracy is the most important aspect. But for pure listening enjoyment I don't spend any more than €100.... the law of diminishing returns and all of that.

EDIT: Plus, there's really no such thing as a purely flat uncoloured audio system.

Sennheiser HD280 Pro. $95 at GC. Better than the Audio Technicas that got stolen, more comfortable, sound great. Bonus: curly cord for when I forget they're on and decide to move.

I have a pair of these I use for mixing. High quality and cheap.

My Sennheiser Momentums blow them away for music listening, but I keep the 280s around the AxeFX for occasions when I don't want to wake anyone.

I think I just inhaled my dinner.

Do you think the price is due to the cost of the tubes, seeing as the components are so exclusive?

And what do you reckon is the difference between that and this? Schematic Pleiades Electra Only Tubes No Other Components Headphone Amplifier | eBay

EDIT: Ah! Just realised the second is schematic only. Still though........

Dude with a budget of $600 you are living the life of Riley.

I own a pair of AKG K702 for my open back studio reference monitor headphones and Shure SRH440 for closed back which I use to track vocals and acoustic instruments. The other great thing about the SRH440 is they are inexpensive and durable so I take them with me in my rolling bag when I travel (don't check headphones or speakers in airplane cargo unless you have to, changes in pressure and temperature will kill them plus baggage gets man-handled).

With a bigger budget I would probably have stretched and tried to get Sennheiser HD650 or HD700. Really anything at that price point is going to be awesome.

It's been a while since I compare/try headphones for the Axe, i'm looking for the most neutral.
My tests:
DT990 pro- (for now my favorite) good bass and high but a little scooped.
DT770 pro- same as the 990, a bit close.
AKG K271 MK II -too light in the bass and the hi-middle are too high.
HD25 SP: very good for this price, good balance and good dynamic.
HD25 II: worse of the HD25 SP for me, the high are too shrill.
GRADO 325is: Very good, hi definition but a bump to the 2,5Khz false the balance.

I hesitated a long time with the Ultrasone Pro 2900 but finaly i ordered an AKG 712 pro, I will receive tomorrow ;)

I can't seem to find an acceptable sound directly from a Sennheiser HD700. I find the sound quite harsh. Any tips? I haven't tried it with a headphone amp.

Blue Mo-Fi for around $325 was the answer for me.

I went through 5 others (Beyer dynamics DT 770 and 880 - super comfy, sounded horrible); Tried some Beats (from Andre personally to my GF) which just laying around the house but, since powered offered some clues since it was sounding better versus the others (minus the over-emphasized bass) and even tried some Bose 25 (Noise cancelling which I use when flying). None of those worked.

I bought an amp for the beyers, (however realized I had the gain structures sub-optimized in the AXE), but nothing worked until the Mo-Fi's showed up. Perfect for the AXE FX for me.

I've owned many others incl. some electrostatic Stax (which I wish I still owned), but all long gone. Was considering Focals since I really like their speakers, but reviews said they hurt (on ear).

Use Amazon (so you can return easily) and keep trying until you get what you want/like.

Last edited:
Blue Mo-Fi for around $325 was the answer for me.

I went through 5 others (Beyer dynamics DT 770 and 880 - super comfy, sounded horrible); Tried some Beats (from Andre personally to my GF) which just laying around the house but, since powered offered some clues since it was sounding better versus the others (minus the over-emphasized bass) and even tried some Bose 25 (Noise cancelling which I use when flying). None of those worked.

I bought an amp for the beyers, (however realized I had the gain structures sub-optimized in the AXE), but nothing worked until the Mo-Fi's showed up. Perfect for the AXE FX for me.

I've owned many others incl. some electrostatic Stax (which I wish I still owned), but all long gone. Was considering Focals since I really like their speakers, but reviews said they hurt (on ear).

Use Amazon (so you can return easily) and keep trying until you get what you want/like.

Hi Fractals,

We're about to record some tracks soon. Is it possible to use the Blue Mo-Fi as an accurate Reference Monitor for recording? Thanks!

I can't seem to find an acceptable sound directly from a Sennheiser HD700. I find the sound quite harsh. Any tips? I haven't tried it with a headphone amp.
I have the HD700's as well. Magical! Did you break them in first? They have a 200 hour recommended break in cycle.

I have the HD700's as well. Magical! Did you break them in first? They have a 200 hour recommended break in cycle.

Hmm, note sure if we have reached that break in cycle. But either that or I have a lemon set of cans. : ....... (

Thanks for confirming that it should sound great. :) At least I know that I shouldn't be looking to buy another set of headphones just for the axe fx 2

But listening to music with it IS magical... just finding most of the amps sounding fizzy in general. Although I think I have to change my perspective as a couple of helpful folks pointed out that I might have been used to the amp in the room sound and what the axe gives is a mic'ed sound.

Back
Top Bottom