Having trouble recording - only getting clean signal?

freaktorn

Hi! I'm a bit stressed out. Probably because I haven't eaten in six hours. Anyway, here it is:

I'm trying to record my Axe FX II, and I have som trouble. This is a little embarrasing, since I normally know my way with sound cards and Logic. I only get clean sound through the Axe. And sure, I think that could happen if I used USB, but I've plugged my mac into my M-Audio sound card, and an XLR cable from the Axe balanced output L to input 1 on the M-Audio. The guitar is inserted in instrument input (front), and when I play, I get sound, but it's clean.

:shock

I'm using a Mac with Logic 8. I know how Logic works. Amp similation is activated, so is cab. I run it like i normally would run it in a monitor, but in a sound card. The guitar is a Gibson ES-335, and right now I'm playing the "1987x Treble", and there's no distortion or effects! Clean.

Help! Am I going crazy?

PS: Axe is in version 5.07

Bypass button should result in no sound, so it's not that. I did check it out though :)

Feel like I'm not seeing something here.

Update:

OK, change of scenario! I just restarted the Axe, and plugged my headphones in the front "Phones" out. Clean. On every preset. It's like playing through a damn expensive DI unit!

I have somehow disactivated the cab, amp and effects simulations?

Yup, sounds like the global Bypass is on, or the Amp block is bypassed.

I did push the "bypass"-button on and of, and the result was either sound or no sound. Weird.

Anyways - everything's allright again! I ate some pizza, and got back to it, reset to the factory settings, and it works again!!

False alarm! :)

I did push the "bypass"-button on and of, and the result was either sound or no sound. Weird.

Anyways - everything's allright again! I ate some pizza, and got back to it, reset to the factory settings, and it works again!!

False alarm! :)

Probably because you're running USB? When you are running the AXE with the audio outs the bypass just gives you unaffected guitar signal.

So, I got the analog recording to function properly. Now for the USB recording, it's not going that well.

I'm on a late 2008 aliminium MacBook (not pro), with Logic Express 8. Right now the unit is plugged in the USB port, and the first thing I notice is that "axe fx ii audio input" doesn't exist - there is only "axe fx ii audio output", which doesn't really help me much because I want an audio input :)

I created an aggregate device, checking off the "axe fx ii audio in", and the built-in output, because I like to have my volume at my Mac when there's no volume knob for the headphones on the Axe (or is there one?).

So, I get clean sound when the unit is bypassed, and nothing at all with it not bypassed. Tried input 2, sounds like 4-bit sound coming through when I play at first, followed by a delayed clean sound.

I think I'm missing something here again! The sample rate should is correct. I am however getting a strange failure when plugging in the Axe to the USB: "Device "automap mixer" is assigned to MIDI port "Automap Logic Mixer" which is not present.

I believe that has something to do with my novation keyboard, not plugged in at the moment.

Any help would be great! I just wanna make some sweet music :-/

BUMP!

Still no sound through USB. Weirdest thing ever!
What I expected: 1. plugging the unit in my mac, 2. finding the "axe fx ii input" in the Logic device menu. 3. hitting "rec" and play!

What I got: "Axe audio out" in the device menu, which does nothing in terms of recording audio. Creating an aggregate device didn't help much either.

I'm doing something wrong! Help please :)

If you are not seeing axe as an input, it would appear to be driver related. There is a beta OsX driver floating around.

Also, you can check in garageband to see if it shows up as an input to eliminate Logic as the problem...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

If you are not seeing axe as an input, it would appear to be driver related. There is a beta OsX driver floating around.

Also, you can check in garageband to see if it shows up as an input to eliminate Logic as the problem...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I agree, it looks like it's driver related. Will try to update my whole system later, and reinstall the driver. Hope it works :-/

Back
Top Bottom