Having trouble matching brightness of tone examples on U tube(even AFXII examples)...

BillyZeppa

Power User
So i have been on a quest to get the juicy sound i am hearing on u tubes of Stryper (using orange amp / Jet City cab, and treb boost in front of amp), Tony Iommi (with amp in studio), and now with U tube of 'Silent Underground' preset, that actually uses an AFX in the video.
The tone i'm after can be heard in the video linked below, when the guitar player holds the first chord (C power chord)
I just can't find the magic formula - even though i can see that the player is using a 'USA' preset called 'James Rhythm'. i have tried the USA lead preset, but there just sin't the upper midrange presence that's in this video, or any of the others? any ideas, guys?
Is it the speaker in the room/to camera/to u tube that i'm hearing?
Is it the tweaking of the 'USA' amp in the preset in the video? My attempts just sound a bit flat. I have gotten this sound before however, both with my MarkIII and with the AFX a few FWs ago.
Does maybe Rain know how to get this tone?
Is this preset (or one like it for AFXII MII) still available?
Here's video with the AFX patch i want to achieve - the chord i want to sound like is at 14 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntyDuejehLc

Last edited:
C'mon ... this is not the raw AxeFx sound ... is post processed ;) then is mixed with others instrument and bass is loud soooo....

I dunno... I get tones like that all day long. What are you monitoring through? Does it suck? There are about a million variables in addition to the AFX/patch. If your tones are unilaterally dark, I suspect a basic setup issue (including outboard gear limitations) or methodology problem. You can easily go to that point and overshoot to "waaay too much of a good thing" with this unit.

Last edited:
I dunno... I get tones like that all day long. What are you monitoring through? Does it suck? There are about a million variables in addition to the AFX/patch. If your tones are unilaterally dark, I suspect a basic setup issue (including outboard gear limitations) or methodology problem. You can easily go to that point and overshoot to "waaay too much of a good thing" with this unit.

Thanks zenaxe. I would suspect that you might be right, except that i have gotten what i am looking for as recently as 17.04. I am hoping that I can get 8.xx into this same zone. I am using Adam A7s, at moderate volume, driven by RME UCX, same as always.
I think i know what you mean about 'overshoot', and i would try cranking the volume but 'im trying to keep things the same as for previous firmwares.

That's why i am starting to wondering if the 'magic' in these videos is coming from the acoustic interaction with the guitar and a LOUD speaker cab... I'm sure that contributes at times to these videos, right? i would love to crank it up but i am in a wood frame apartment.

how loud do you monitor, zenaxe? loud enough to excite the strings?

Last edited:
C'mon ... this is not the raw AxeFx sound ... is post processed ;) then is mixed with others instrument and bass is loud soooo....
Thanks Noriuky73. Ya, that can fool ya, for sure. but i took that into consideration, and i think i can mentally isolate the tone i'm looking for in that guitar part, especially at the tail where the chord holds, and because I have gotten in previous firmwares, and also with my Mesa markIII. Good point though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom