Have you ever been dragged along to see a band...

Dixiethedog

Experienced
Have you ever been dragged out to see a band that you thought might be "not to my taste" or simply rubbish?
Many (many many...)years ago I got dragged to a pub in Newcastle where some American blues band was playing. I was not that interested at the time as I liked more rock music.
Anyway, this gentleman shuffled to the stage, which was just the floor in the pub, his Les Paul Deluxe was plugged into something like a Peavey bandit and then they started to play. Within about 2 seconds of the band starting to play I went from not interested to "blooming heck, they are something special".
What a performance it was, it was one of the best blues shows that I have ever heard or seen.
At the end of the show, the band announced that they had copies of their new CD for sale. One bought and signed by the man himself Mr Jay Owens. It was at this point in the night I noticed his black glasses were worn because he was in fact blind and not hiding from the lights. Not that there were any.

Well, I have just had to buy a new laptop and load it up with all of my music files etc.
One of the music items I noticed was one by Jay Owens.
I'm guessing that the show must have been around 1993/94 but having heard his music again for the first time in a while has brought some lovely memories back.

Feel free to check him out on Youtube. At the time when I saw him, I was into twiddly diddly one million notes a minute players and Mr. Owens was just so refreshing. A note here, a note there.. with a surprisingly lovely live tone and a superbly tight band.

I believe he has since passed away. RIP Jay Owens.

I was dating a girl in college who was really into The Decemberists. We went and saw them on the Hazards of Love tour in a college hall. I was blown away. Sometimes the best experiences are ones you don't expect.

The only time I got dragged along to a concert I wasn't interested in going to, is when my parents forced my big sister to take me to a Peter. Paul & Mary concert back in the 60's, despite me not wanting to go. I enjoyed it a lot. Also hearing a live orchestra for the first time on a school trip no one in the class wanted to go to was an ear opening experience.

1976 or 77. My high school buddy dragged me to a concert in Logan Utah in the middle of winter. He told me I wouldn’t believe this guitarist. I had my doubts. I was into Yes, Al DiMeola, King Crimson, Alan Holdsworth. He thought the guys in Kiss were great guitarists.

Turned out to be Van Halen. Eddie was turning around to hide his finger tapping.
That night I entered a whole new world. It was like I was reborn as a guitarist. Most profound moment I’ve ever experienced!

I saw Hendrix when I was about 7 but I was too young to appreciate it. I was like a turtle watching a spaceship land. I couldn’t comprehend what I was seeing.

Have you ever been dragged out to see a band that you thought might be "not to my taste" or simply rubbish?
Yes, the Shania Twain concert that was filmed in Dallas in September of 1998 that aired for DirecTV.
Being surrounded by drugstore cowboys/cowgirls.
Me hating country music. Me hating country-pop music.
The stage show was like a countrified Def Leppard show with all of the pyro and glitz.
Despite being on about the 8th row or so for a great view, I hated almost every minute of it.

I was dating a girl in college who was really into The Decemberists. We went and saw them on the Hazards of Love tour in a college hall. I was blown away. Sometimes the best experiences are ones you don't expect.
My daughter was way way way into the Decemberists.
I didn't care that much for them, but she and my wife had seen them live, and it was life-changingly amazing, legendary in their eyes.

They came around again, outdoor show in a nice place, so I went along.
Not a great show in my opinion, or my daughter's.

Kind of sad, given how moved they were by their first one.
Oh well.

My daughter was way way way into the Decemberists.
I didn't care that much for them, but she and my wife had seen them live, and it was life-changingly amazing, legendary in their eyes.

They came around again, outdoor show in a nice place, so I went along.
Not a great show in my opinion, or my daughter's.

Kind of sad, given how moved they were by their first one.
Oh well.
I had the same experience. I only like that one album and that night they played it front to back with theater like set pieces on stage and it was really great. But then me and that girl broke up and i listened to the band after and i prefer to just keep the memory.

In 2000, I was at the Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota. The lady who's yard I was camping in asked if I wanted to go and see some guy named Johnny Lang that evening as there was an extra ticket. I reluctantly agreed, reluctant because my musical tastes and favs were set in stone oh so many years ago, and although I love the blues, this wasn't Buddy Guy. Blown away of course by his playing and I would check him out again in a heartbeat if given the chance!

Yes, the Shania Twain concert that was filmed in Dallas in September of 1998 that aired for DirecTV.
Being surrounded by drugstore cowboys/cowgirls.
Me hating country music. Me hating country-pop music.
The stage show was like a countrified Def Leppard show with all of the pyro and glitz.
Despite being on about the 8th row or so for a great view, I hated almost every minute of it.
Was that the show where the band (guys) wore pink fluffy shirts and shiny silver pants? That was one of the many moments when I thought musical Armageddon was just around the corner.🤢

Let's peer into my wayback machine....oh yes...In 1991, I was dating a girl in Cincinnati who wanted to drag me to Indy to see some country-western acts. I grudgingly went. I had certainly heard of Bonnnie Raitt, but who was this dude Chris Isaak opening for her? Lol.

Got another. In April 1983, I went to an Adam Ant concert and really thought the band opening was a hell of a lot better. Turns out they were. It was INXS.

Last edited:
A buddy had asked me if I'd like to join him and a couple guys to see Joe Robinson & Tommy Emmanuel at a music hall upstate. Tommy I'd heard of, but didn't own any of his music, and Joe, it was Joe who? My buddy had won 4 tickets from a PBS fundraiser, so my feelings were why not. I just didn't feel comfortable with people I didn't know well, and perhaps my feelings were justified.

The guys were rowdy and in the mood for more fun than I was, simply because I usually don't do well with unfamiliar places or crowds. Anyway, after my icy exterior was worn down, it was possible to relax a little, and Joe took the stage and wowed the audience with his acoustic playing, at a level I'd never experienced before.

Then, Tommy got up and launched into numerous songs my buddy was familiar with, and encouraged me to listen to. I was floored. Two acoustic players I'd never heard before and they brought the house down.

I recall purchasing a Joe Robinson "Time Jumpin'" CD and asking Joe to sign it when the concert finished as he mingled with the crowd in the lobby.

Yet once the concert was finished, the guys were still feisty, and I wasn't having any of it. I guess it would have been better had I not been a wet blanket than going along with the crowd, but my instincts tell me there's good times to enjoy when everyone enjoys, and not be the odd man who has to mind his tongue and not say anything.

A buddy had asked me if I'd like to join him and a couple guys to see Joe Robinson & Tommy Emmanuel at a music hall upstate. Tommy I'd heard of, but didn't own any of his music, and Joe, it was Joe who? My buddy had won 4 tickets from a PBS fundraiser, so my feelings were why not. I just didn't feel comfortable with people I didn't know well, and perhaps my feelings were justified.

The guys were rowdy and in the mood for more fun than I was, simply because I usually don't do well with unfamiliar places or crowds. Anyway, after my icy exterior was worn down, it was possible to relax a little, and Joe took the stage and wowed the audience with his acoustic playing, at a level I'd never experienced before.

Then, Tommy got up and launched into numerous songs my buddy was familiar with, and encouraged me to listen to. I was floored. Two acoustic players I'd never heard before and they brought the house down.

I recall purchasing a Joe Robinson "Time Jumpin'" CD and asking Joe to sign it when the concert finished as he mingled with the crowd in the lobby.

Yet once the concert was finished, the guys were still feisty, and I wasn't having any of it. I guess it would have been better had I not been a wet blanket than going along with the crowd, but my instincts tell me there's good times to enjoy when everyone enjoys, and not be the odd man who has to mind his tongue and not say anything.
Joe is a beast and one of my most favorite new artists. He writes and sings just as well as he plays.

For me I had way way low expectations for Rick Springfield. It was free and out in a weird club in the burbs but went along with it. Man this guy could play. 3 hour set and high energy show. Not bad for a dude that just turned 60 that year.

Joe is a beast and one of my most favorite new artists. He writes and sings just as well as he plays.
Joe performed "Nubeck," which coincidentally is The Colbert Report's former closing theme song. If perhaps acoustic is something you like, be sure to check out Casper Esmann's YT channel. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Was that the show where the band (guys) wore pink fluffy shirts and shiny silver pants? That was one of the many moments when I thought musical Armageddon was just around the corner.🤢
Haha, Fortunately no - the one you're talking about was at Texas Stadium a year after I saw her.
I just remember how beautiful Shania was in the first place with her hair when seeing her in other pictures and videos, but when she got on stage, she had it in long braids. WTH???? I remember her opening the show with, "Man, I feel like a woman" ---- but man, I felt like a goon while being surrounded by all those fakey sh*tkickers. ;) :oops:

Last edited:
For me I had way way low expectations for Rick Springfield. It was free and out in a weird club in the burbs but went along with it. Man this guy could play. 3 hour set and high energy show. Not bad for a dude that just turned 60 that year.
I saw Rick twice in '83 and '84 and he was kick ass. It helped that Tim Pierce was his guitar player, too. Those shows were very impressive.

Back
Top Bottom