Have we reached the end of new amp models in the Axe 3?

Not a criticism by the way; obviously I'm aware of the massive challenge that goes into modeling a new amp, so not trying to make it seem like anyone is slacking off.

The Axe has way more amp models than anyone else, and they all sound amazing. But I have noticed that it's been some time since we've had a flush of new models (not just expansions of existing models) and I'm wondering if this is it, or if Cliff has some super secret amp models up his sleeve.

If this is it, so be it--I am quite happy with the models that are already here. I'm just curious.
I doubt we’ve seen the end, but it’s always based on something catching Cliff’s ear, and requires time, because he wants to have the actual amp and its real schematic. And he doesn’t want a generic version of that amp, it needs to sound like the perfect version of it because that’s what he’s going to try to replicate with the modeler.

Even if someone offers an amp to be modelled and has a schematic for it which does not appear to be generally publicly available, I'd bet fractal would be cautious about modelling that amp without specific permission from the amp builder. I get the impression older amp circuits are openly available, or maybe knowable" via examination, where as it seems more modern amps (Revv) have more going on under the covers which may be guarded info. Lots of schematics to a lot of stuff gets "published" on the internet but that does not mean it's available to use.

Even if someone offers an amp to be modelled and has a schematic for it which does not appear to be generally publicly available, I'd bet fractal would be cautious about modelling that amp without specific permission from the amp builder. I get the impression older amp circuits are openly available, or maybe knowable" via examination, where as it seems more modern amps (Revv) have more going on under the covers which may be guarded info. Lots of schematics to a lot of stuff gets "published" on the internet but that does not mean it's available to use.
I think if the schematic revealed something that's patented then there'd be cause for concern, but the tweaks and mods have been out for years, so they'd be prior-art, and not available to a patent. It has to be a new, unique, and non-intuitive improvement if I remember right, something that shows a whole new way of doing whatever it is. For instance, Mesa's Randall Smith has a number of them for things he came up with. Implementing algorithms to model those things in their schematics might have to wait 20 years until the patent expires as they're quite protective of them.

Not until the long overdue Death Monger Seal Clubber 3000X gets done. 😈

Seriously though, I still hope for the day we get the Peavey JSX. Even IIRC one fellow forumer kindly offered to loan his to Cliff, mentioning it was an actual Satriani-owned amp or something like that, but I remember him praising the sound of his particular JSX head.

I'm curious about more FAS amps, though I'm not sure what he would want to do, since so much is covered already. He knows as much or more about tweaking and modding amps than anyone, so I think his creations are always incredible. For me, that Supertweed just hits the spot so perfectly, but really all the FAS amps are so awesome and usable.

I think what might be really really cool would be a section on the wiki explaining how to recreate requested amps with what we have already. There could even be downloadable Amp Block channels with the deep tweaks already done. I know there's something out there for the ADA MP-1, e.g., and people have written about mods of existing models to equal other amps. That might really take care of so much. I'm amazed at the in depth knowledge members of this forum have about the inner amp workings, so I think an organized community effort might really pay off.

Beyond that though, I think probably the very best idea tonewise is just education. From the manual to the Tech Notes to the tidbits all over the forum, there are so many resources for the infinite tweaking possibilities that maybe the holy grail is just finding your tweaks to make the perfect amp for your guitar and your playing style. That's the crazy thing about this, that in a very layman's but effective way, we can all kind of act as our own Dumble, making an amp just to fit just one's self.

I guess if there weren't new amps, it would be awesome if Cliff found a way to create a "schematic lab" that would let us turn our own schematics into amp models. Including using different types of components (different resistor and capacitor types, etc).

We have not reached the end of firmware updates... the Axe is powerful, and they have engineering talent that is STELLAR. People say well there will be a next best thing.... but it will never go out of style and good luck getting every possible tone out of the unit with every signal chain possibility and setting. That is the beauty of owning a Fractal. If the internet died tomorrow and there was no more updates, I would still be making presets in 10 years with it and finding satisfaction.

We have not reached the end of firmware updates... the Axe is powerful, and they have engineering talent that is STELLAR. People say well there will be a next best thing.... but it will never go out of style and good luck getting every possible tone out of the unit with every signal chain possibility and setting. That is the beauty of owning a Fractal. If the internet died tomorrow and there was no more updates, I would still be making presets in 10 years with it and finding satisfaction.
If Keith Richards had one of these back in the day…

If it all stopped now I'd be just fine. How many amp models... or real amps does one really need? How many are already in the magic box... 200+?

How many OMG incredible new tones are coming out of these new tube amps today,.. that hasn't been copied ad nauseum times already? Or some 'older' amp like... the ADA preamp (Personally... I don't get it. Maybe it's nostalgia)

We already have unlimited options to craft tones. FAS also has some great amp models. If you haven't already... try some. Honestly, I don't need another Marshall, Fender, Vox, Mesa/ENGL copy.

YMMV.

I use a Plexi and Tweed Twin for 99.99% of what I do. I couldn’t care less about anything else. I’d rather see some development on the the synth block. If you can’t make it happen with what’s in this machine the problem may just be you. But then again, I’m actually out playing live and not holed up in a basement bored with myself.

I’m hoping fractal can think of a better way to handle IRs. Maybe a GUI type interface like the two notes stuff. Auditioning hundreds of files while keeping your ears honest is not the greatest experience. And the cab has such a big impact on tone.
Prefer some more of these quality of life updates, since the amp modeling problem is pretty much solved (in my books)

Back
Top Bottom