Has anyone gotten the Yamaha UD-BT01 working with the AX8 and Windows 10?

Dave76

Inspired
I recently purchased the Yamaha UD-BT01 in hopes of being able to use my Windows 10 tablet for AX8Edit. This works fine with the tablet connected via a cable but with the UD-BT01 I'm not getting the AX8 showing up as a MIDI device when I pair the UD-BT01 with the tablet. I upgraded the UD-BT01 to firmware 1.03 and it shows up on my iPhone as a MIDI device so all that appears to be working. Windows 10 recently added support for Bluetooth LE MIDI and I am up to date with the latest version. I've read some things that suggest that only applications using the latest MIDI API in Windows can take advantage of this but I'm hoping maybe there is a workaround (like some 3rd party application that makes BLE MIDI devices look like classic MIDI devices).

Has anyone tried this and had any success?

I use the MD-BT01 with my iPad and Setlist Maker. I think that sysex does not work correctly with these bluetooth adapters which is required by AX8 edit.

Interesting post just looked up the D-BT01 and was wondering if there was a IOS FAS App for AX8 edit and there was for $43.99! Outch no reviews either so my question is if u get it to work please let me know! I want to be in on it, I thought a IOS app would be good complement to the AX8

Yeah, I know it works on iOS with FracPad. There are other post about that. That's why this post is explicitly asking about AX8Edit and Windows 10. :rolleyes:

I recently purchased the Yamaha UD-BT01 in hopes of being able to use my Windows 10 tablet for AX8Edit. I've read some things that suggest that only applications using the latest MIDI API in Windows can take advantage of this but I'm hoping maybe there is a workaround (like some 3rd party application that makes BLE MIDI devices look like classic MIDI devices).
You knew before buying this that the UD-BT01 only supports iOS and OSX, right?
upload_2017-1-21_0-31-26.png
There's only just support now in Win 10 for MIDI over BT, done with a new API which is not available for previous windows versions. Only "Windows 10" apps will currently work with MIDI over BT so nobody's going to write software that doesn't work on previous versions of Windows.
As you suggest, perhaps someone someday will make a wrapper to go between the two styles of MIDI...

Last edited:
You knew before buying this that the UD-BT01 only supports iOS and OSX, right?
Actually, the UD-BT01 works fine with Windows 10. Presumably the official specs don't say that because the device was released long before Windows 10 got support for BLE-MIDI and because Yamaha doesn't want to deal with support questions about why all MIDI apps on Windows don't work with it out of the box.

In any case, so far I've figured out how to bridge classic MIDI apps to the UD-BT01 but only one direction at a time. I can either send or receive over the UD-BT01 but haven't figured out how to get both directions up and running at the same time which is obviously needed by AX8Edit. Just being able to send program changes, etc. from my tablet to AX8 could be useful though so at least I can do that. Getting close...

In any case, so far I've figured out how to bridge classic MIDI apps to the UD-BT01 but only one direction at a time. I can either send or receive over the UD-BT01 but haven't figured out how to get both directions up and running at the same time which is obviously needed by AX8Edit. Just being able to send program changes, etc. from my tablet to AX8 could be useful though so at least I can do that. Getting close...
I'm very interested to know how you managed to bridge "classic" MIDI apps and the new Win10 MIDI API if you were interested in elaborating...

I'm very interested to know how you managed to bridge "classic" MIDI apps and the new Win10 MIDI API if you were interested in elaborating...
I was being somewhat intentionally vague due to not having a enough of a handle on how things were working to give a reasonable explanation and because I didn't want people going off and playing around with this and messing their AX8 up. I'd urge extreme caution with experimenting with this. Backup your presets and don't blame me if you brick your device!

I am using two Windows applications. One is MIDIberry -- a Windows 10 app that lets you bridge Windows 10 MIDI API ports to classic MIDI API ports. The other is loopMIDI -- this lets you create virtual classic MIDI ports that echo data received on the virtual MIDI input to the virtual MIDI output and vice versa. Point a Windows 10 MIDI port at a loopMIDI port in MIDIberry and then you can send or receive data with a classic MIDI app using that same loopMIDI port.

My experiments with getting bidirectional communication going with AX8-Edit have failed so far but I still have some ideas to try.

I am using two Windows applications. One is MIDIberry -- a Windows 10 app that lets you bridge Windows 10 MIDI API ports to classic MIDI API ports. The other is loopMIDI -- this lets you create virtual classic MIDI ports that echo data received on the virtual MIDI input to the virtual MIDI output and vice versa. Point a Windows 10 MIDI port at a loopMIDI port in MIDIberry and then you can send or receive data with a classic MIDI app using that same loopMIDI port.

The MIDIberry description says :
You can send MIDI signals from INPUT to OUTPUT, between defferent MIDI devices. Support Bluetooth MIDI (BLE MIDI / MIDI over Bluetooth LE)

From your experience, "MIDI device" in MIDIberry only means "physical" ports and not virtual ports ? That's why you have to use loopMIDI (which works pretty well) to make the connection ? I am asking, cause I am looking at ways to communicate MIDI over Bluetooth for my MidyAX2 project and I have a working WIN10 (anniversary) version that could use the new WIN10 BLE-MIDI protocol.

"MIDI device" is from the standpoint of Windows devices which may be physical or virtual. MIDIberry itself does not have the ability to create a virtual MIDI device but it can work with virtual devices such as those created by loopMIDI. Hope that helps!

Yes that helps.

So MIDIberry is useful for WINDOWS version that don't have MIDI over BT LE (pre anniversary update) but with the latest WIN10 anniversary update there is no need to use it, or am I mistaken ?

So MIDIberry is useful for WINDOWS version that don't have MIDI over BT LE (pre anniversary update) but with the latest WIN10 anniversary update there is no need to use it, or am I mistaken ?
No, MIDIberry only works on Anniversary with the new MIDI features. As far as I know, these features (including BT LE MIDI) are only available to UWP apps but UWP apps can also see "classic" MIDI ports so it is a useful way of bridging to a "classic" non-UWP app.

OK thanks for the precision.:) I get it now. I have not followed much what's going with Window and UWP. Wikipedia was useful but does not mention MIDI or anniversary update :(

OK thanks for the precision.:) I get it now. I have not followed much what's going with Window and UWP. Wikipedia was useful but does not mention MIDI or anniversary update :(
I think midiberry is to allow old applications that don't use the latest Windows midi api to communicate through bluetooth, it's a sort of bridge. If the app uses the latest api midiberry is not needed for bluetooth.

Anyway I think the issue the OP is having (unidirectional communication) is because of the poor implementation of midiberry, it just allows one direction, it links the output of a device to the input of another device. To have bidirectional communication you would need two inputs and two outputs connected. Maybe it's possible to run two instances of midiberry?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom