Bug? Harsh Distorted Clipping Sound

musicman0001

Experienced
(Copy Paste from 2.01 Beta release forum)
I played with Quantum 2.01 Beta2 and returned back to official release Q2.0 as I get some strange distorted like clipping like noise (not output clipping) especially at the low end range strings (Musicman Steve Morse Y2D in Eb, mainly noticable at the first 5 notes on the Eb string) especially with the 4 presets in which I use the JVM401 OD1 orange. But I also noticed this on downloaded presets from AXE exchange. (Ricky EVH preset).

Situation description:
Instrument front input (Musicman Steve Morse Y2D) via Line6 G30 wireless with AXE FX2 Q2.01 with following blocks:
Volume pedal, JVM401OD1Orange, Reverb, FXLoop (to amp), CAB (PA/SC)
FXLoop goes to Stereo Poweramp (but as this is today in rehearselroom, not tested if it occurs there aswell)
Cab (factory 4x121960B) to lineoutput (not xlr) to TC electronics Desktop Konnekt 6 to stereo HeadPhone Output with Senheiser HD595
AXE also connected to MFC-101 and USB for AXE Edit
Input gain set to 80% and only sometimes in the red
Output settings: Non output clippings, (no reds), so it should NOT be AXE FX2 output clipping.

It looks sort of sound from strings flapping to frets resonance sound, but it also makes a harsh distorted clipping kinda sound. I saw one small entry on this here as well, but not sure if the same is ment and also not if my setup is very different as I;m quite new AXE user (not new with tubes and guitar thought, playing for years and years).

Audio clip?

There is no clipping from AXE output and the TC electronics show only green with sometimes some orange leds. It also accors if I lower pedal volume or TC electronics input and outputs. Therefor I suspect something in 2.01 beta zwei.
And I did not notice these in the same presets with Quantum 2.0
But certainly will have some better and closer look from now on.

But as I do not have great reference of my setup (do I use it correctly) and if I have strange settings or use blocks incorrect I put everything in my bugreport.

As I have the same also in a downloaded preset (EVH) I also do not really think it's my own presets.

But indeed Audio Clipping is a possibility. Also my brand new Steve Morse Y2D Music Man which could have fret resonance as it's new and low action, but then I do not expect to hear any strange harsh distorted clipping like sound. And I also did not really notice this in Q2.0. I will tonight and tomorrow play around again in 2.0 and will definitely try to see if my presets and downloaded presets have similar effect in 2.0.

Not sure if it's the same as reported by 6StringScott in the Q2.01 Beta Zwei forum:
Just upgraded yesterday, like what I've heard so far, and noticed something that may be an issue:

- Turning the physical knob on the front for Out 1 caused some digital artifact sound, sort of like when tweaking parameters or moving an expression pedal at high CPU levels. The patch I was on was only around 70-80% CPU utilization, not moving any expression pedals, just turning the Out 1 knob without actually playing anything. I did have MFC-101 plugged in, and AxeEdit was connected (but not making any changes on it). The artifacts I heard are similar to clicks and pops, some type of discontinuity, but not like the abruptness of an audio buffer underflow.

Will ask him about it and will refer to this bugreport as well.

No, I meant "audio clip" as in: a recording please. :)

Ooops. Sorry ;)
As I thought about clipping I asumed that the TC electronics may be doing the clipping.
Will make an Audio Clip & send the (plain and simple) preset on which I made the audioclip.

6StringScott's zippering is normal. He just never noticed it before. AxeFx's have been doing this since the standard days. The output knobs are encoders, not simple potmeters. Most people never notice it since those knobs usually don't get fondled a lot while playing guitar. Having two hands on the guitar sort of precludes any fondling. Unless you have someone doing the fondling for you... Or take one hand off the guitar for it.

As for your clipping, I have no idea. My axe isn't around here just now.

Don't look at the way of playing, its just for trying to make the sounds that I hear. It looks to me that the Musicman deliveres some fret noise and the AXE gets choked and sound very weird to me. The preset is just JVMOD1Orange, FXLoop and Cab to keep it very simple. Oeps, have problems uploading the mp3 or wma file. Both have errors of extentions not allowed. Will make a dropbox link?

Edit:
Hope the link works:
WMA: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfjuo60prkw09ta/Quantum2.01SteveMorseClip.wma?dl=0

Edit2:
In reality and in other presets it's way worse and noticable over my own headphone through TC electronics then this recording then this windows wma direct recording which I presume goes through USB.

Attachments

• JVM401OD1Orange.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sorry, but I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to hear there. It sounds a bit thin but that could be intentional. I can't identify any sort of clipping I'm familiar with. Compression... I'm not sure.

I'm afraid I can't be of more help with this.

Sounds okay to me too.

All those little noises are normal (crackle, fizz etc) are normal and are part of the guitar tone. Just listen closely to recorded guitar tracks

I heard some kind of harsh distortion at the very end of the clip... is it what you are refering to?

Hello All,

I think what is happened is the following:
I bought a new guitar 2 weeks ago (EBMM Steve Morse Y2D) which I played on with AXE FX2 Q1, then Q2 and now on Q2.01
It was also newly set new strings and Eb instead of E tuning. I guess they didn't set the neck to match this Eb settings.

During Q2.01 it looks that the strings are now touching the strings way more then before then in Q2 and that actually this is causing the hash atrificial distorted sound (which was indeed not very good recording to have it shown) and that Q2.01 is behaving a different then Q2 on this and the sound is more noticible.

As no one has reported these problems before and you guys do not seem to hear what I hear, I guess it's NOT the behaviour of 2.01 but the combination from my new guitar (fret resonance) which just in the same time as going over from 2 to the new Q2.01 zwei is suddenly more apperent.

So instead of waisting your time guys, I will close the subject and first bring my guitar back for service!

Edit:
And thanks for listing, trying, giving feedback.

Have to say that this is one of the most workable, friendly, reactive, responsive product forums I have every been on! Thanks guys!

Reactions: yek
No, I meant "audio clip" as in: a recording please. :)

Hi Yek, I think this thread can be closed, as I do not believe anymore that its a "bug" or findings of strange behaviour. But just the unfortunate co-incidence that my guitar has fret resonance which is just more noticeble switching to Q2.01.

Back
Top Bottom