Hardware pedals you rebought after going 100% Axe ?

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
When I went Axe-Fx II, I basically tried to see how closely I could match most of my favorite effects before selling them. When one buys a $2k modeling unit, be it an Axe, a Kemper etc, most of us probably try to sell off some other gear to offset the cost.

However, sometimes no matter how much you work at it dialing it in, there are just those effects you can't quite seem to duplicate and perhaps consider buying again, OR, maybe didn't (wisely) sell in the first place.

For me, it was the CB Echorec, just had to break down and rebuy it, because I just loved that percussive nature of the repeats. The Axe has the ability to let me dial in up to what, 10 delays?, various divisions, diffusion, etc settings, so I technically maybe could get something close (with a ton of work) but the Echorec is a pretty unique sound and almost like an instrument into itself. It really responds to pick attack giving you either a smooth wash of delay or a percussive rhythmic attack.

Upside of course is that I now have the option to drop via the FX Loop anywhere into the single chain I want for a given patch, and can have some cool routing options such as putting a volume pedal in front of it, routing a modulation effect onto the repeats, mixing it 100% wet/dry etc.

So... what are some hardware effects that you find/found you just can't live without and had to repurchase after going 100% modeler ?

The only 2 pedals my Axe 2 can't currently replace are my EHX HOG2 and my Ibanez Airplane Flanger. It can do 90% of the AF, but obviously doesn't easily do the 'stunt' oscillations.

I never sold anything, or at least haven't sold something because I own and Axe II, as great as it maybe.

Hell, I still even have my Ultra. I use it as my home unit (Axe II is in the studio). It's nice to have other options if possible, I guess that's my point.

SOrry for hijacking but its going to be fast question how do you find pitch shifter/ whammy comparing ultra and 2?

SOrry for hijacking but its going to be fast question how do you find pitch shifter/ whammy comparing ultra and 2?

Good questions, that I only have a limited answer for...

"Pitch Shifting" is probably "my" least used effect. I only used it once really for "Aerials" by "System of a Down" so I could tune a "whole step" down without the need for changing the guitar for one song.

Because there are no real solos in that song and its a kind of "behind the beat", the "Ultra" worked out quite well (very believable IMHO) even with the slight latency. However, I haven't tried it yet with the "Axe FX II", I could only imaging it would sound somewhat better.

I don't think I've even ever tried the Whammy thing. I guess with the selection of songs we play, I just haven't had a need for it (yet).

Sorry I couldn't give you better metrics..

My MXR EVH Flanger. I just can't seem to dial in that "Unchained" Flanger sound with the Axe Fx ii....has anyone else? I'd love to see their settings.

Also my HBE Comp... Don't know why...Just love it.

i haven't bought them back, but I seriously miss my Diamond Comp and Eventide Space. I know the Axe can probably cop what the Space does, but its just easier on the Space. That pedal was harder to let go of than my Timeline.

I would like to have a Strymon timeline, and the Eventide pedals, also the crybaby 535q but I don't want to lug anything around but the Axe
and mfc. I keep hoping the effects of the Axe receive as much attention as the amp modeling soon, although we have seen some very nice upgrades in most all firmware updates.

The only thing I got since being an Axe owner (standard in 2009 and AF II in 2011)is the TC Poly Tune great pedal yes but I really like being able to reference all six strings at the same time (great for floating trems) that’s it!

However I do have some interest in the BOSS Adaptive Distortion pedal DA-2.

John

Back
Top Bottom