Harbinger MLS 900 Line Array - Thoughts?

Harbinger MLS 900 Line Array
Saw this coming through recently. Super new, virtually no reviews I've found. Can get one for about 5 bills. What are your thoughts? I was about to drop $ on a qsc 10 but I feel this might give me more range with the sub and wide angle of sound. Its 450w each section with an 8in sub. This would be for just some fun jamming with friends or if I want to feel some bump better than my desk monitors (BX5's ya ya ya I know.. lol) I'm mostly studio work so its not for gigging really. I would like to take it with me to play along to some live drums occasionally. I would be running xl+, some vocals, my e-drum kit and maybe some vst synths. I like the blue tooth option for playing music off my phone. Anyone had any recent run ins with this unit or maybe a similar personal pa?

I would avoid this one. It's been around for about a year. Have you played any of the Harbinger speakers? They sound pretty bad. This might sound amazing, but I doubt it

I think you're confusing it with the previous model. This one is new and the one review i did see said it was a much better sounding build. Curious if anyone has even tried an axefx through one. th 900 not the 800 wich looks similar.

I'm confused... the date is less than two weeks ago? I think these are pretty new. Still interested to hear if anyone has tried them out.

I own the Harbinger mls 800, previous version. Have had excellent results in a good size sports bar performing with a live drummer. I play guitar, harmonica, bass pedals and vocal with vocal harmonizer through it. On my breaks I walked around the bar listening to the break tape and it covered the room well. The bar was busy so there was noise from the people talking and it still covered the room well. I don't understand how some people can say these units aren't good. We are not loud heavy rock but the music fills the room well. The sound is very clean and puts out nice bass from the little 8" sub. Surprising. I can only imagine the new mls 900 is just as good. The compact size and price is hard to pass up. Not sure why they felt the need to re-design the mls 800 into the mls 900.

Beware the dispersion characteristics - line array speakers do have a very well defined horizontal dispersion, which gets tighter with each speaker you add to the line array. I'm not sure if line array was your intended use. If so, please continue!
Thanks
Pauly

Beware the dispersion characteristics - line array speakers do have a very well defined horizontal dispersion, which gets tighter with each speaker you add to the line array. I'm not sure if line array was your intended use. If so, please continue!
Thanks
Pauly

Can you explain what you mean by this?

Hi Vertigo,
I guess the big this is the word 'Array' - IE; the whole concept of these boxes is that you apply them in multiples to get your desired characteristics. I should add that there are 'horizontal' and 'Vertical' line arrays, each with a specific dispersion characteristic to cover multiple requirements - See the 'Cover the audience, not the walls' section of this article;
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/line-arrays-explained

Thanks

Can you explain what you mean by this?

I’ve owned everything from Qsc thru peavey and own of a DJ business for 30 years ! When harbinger first came out let’s face it bad speaker through years of trial and error they really turned things around and have passed Mackie and peavey in quality and sound! I own a par of mls800 ran them hard for small events for a year reliability was awesome! Sound quality was much better than the Bose compacts I owned. Now I listened to a pair of mls900 on sale for $399 they sounded some much better and with a spl of121 better than the msl800 at 114 . I bought 2 mls900 . Now for a room 250 or more out come my Ev s and sub for a acoustic or DJ small room you won’t be disappointed! Buy pro coverage turn them up and don’t listen to the negative comments they pretty much haven’t seen heard or used them or just repeating what bob has said lol

I own the Harbinger mls 800, previous version. Have had excellent results in a good size sports bar performing with a live drummer. I play guitar, harmonica, bass pedals and vocal with vocal harmonizer through it. On my breaks I walked around the bar listening to the break tape and it covered the room well. The bar was busy so there was noise from the people talking and it still covered the room well. I don't understand how some people can say these units aren't good. We are not loud heavy rock but the music fills the room well. The sound is very clean and puts out nice bass from the little 8" sub. Surprising. I can only imagine the new mls 900 is just as good. The compact size and price is hard to pass up. Not sure why they felt the need to re-design the mls 800 into the mls 900.
Bose told them to stop copyright thing

Update:
Bought the harbinger unit after all. Ended up taking it back because I didn't realize the center portion of the stack doesnt have speakers. Its just a riser that looks like a speaker. They're all on the top. It didn't translate well in my studio room.

So now sit two K10.2s on both sides of the room running wedge style playing my whole rig in stereo. Sound card and all. Its heaven. I am so grateful that these inventions exist. It's so unnecessarily loud and sounds so good. I get it now.

Update:
Bought the harbinger unit after all. Ended up taking it back because I didn't realize the center portion of the stack doesnt have speakers. Its just a riser that looks like a speaker. They're all on the top. It didn't translate well in my studio room.

So now sit two K10.2s on both sides of the room running wedge style playing my whole rig in stereo. Sound card and all. Its heaven. I am so grateful that these inventions exist. It's so unnecessarily loud and sounds so good. I get it now.
You should be able to run the MLS900 using only the column with the Speakers to shorten the stack. The dummy section is only to act like a speaker stand to raise the drivers but can be left off to keep the drivers closer to the sub.

negative. the column connectors only allow the speaker portion to sit on top. the connectors are set up in a male/female type alignment. you cannot bypass the stack riser.

I have two of the 900s. I play solo piano and organ, keyboards. But these are having very light use. What I want to do is use them where I have no electrical outlet. Does anybody have an idea what kind of giant power bank I can get to run these, either one of them or two of them? I have no idea how much power it would take.

Back
Top Bottom