Happy New Matrix Day! NL212 & GT1000FX

I went with the FRFR when I did because I wanted to try and use the IRs to give me the best reproduction as possible, but maybe the NL12s are the way for me to go instead since I'm still searching for that something that Im not hearing in my current setup.

today is the first time I plugged into a tube amp in almost a year (I really cannot believe this myself). It was a Carr Rambler. Played it all day .. I was in heaven.

I just plugged into my Axe-FX powered by a Matrix GT1000FX amp and running two NL12s and now I realize why I have not touched a tube amp in such a long time.

There is something about the combination of the Matrix amp with their NL cabs that ties it all together for you (if you are a tube guy) -- pure and simple.

I don't have any fancy charts or power point presentations to share with you, I am not going to quote some "expert" to impress you -- ---

all I have backing up my statement is 40 years of playing in cover bands with tube amps and a couple of (barely working) tired old ears.

Don't mean to answer for Supersonic, but from what I know the FRFR (full range-flat response) is covering the entire (or near) spectrum of frequencies from 20-20k so the entire sonic "picture" is there. Whereas with the NL12, it's not a full range, so like a traditional cab, you're going to lose some of the low and high frequencies (even though the NL12 may grab more than a traditional cab), but the curve is probably going to be more flat than another similar cab with v30s, G12s, etc. that may have spikes in the mids, lows, etc.

I went with the FRFR when I did because I wanted to try and use the IRs to give me the best reproduction as possible, but maybe the NL12s are the way for me to go instead since I'm still searching for that something that Im not hearing in my current setup.

Thanks for answering because my answer was "Good question", your answer makes sense though. I use both CFR and NL12 in stereo and the NL12 fills the "cab in the room" sound for me. Although I can't give you a scientific answer why they both sound different, I guess the NL12 is hyped where it needs to be where the CFR is flat.

I will chime in here.

I received one of these last week. First off, the packing was top-notch, I had worries that UPS would throw it around during the holiday season....wouldn't have mattered....even the cardboard Matrix uses on their shipping boxes is high quality.

Secondly, it is very light and I had my doubts.....is this thing a toy or a real piece of audio equipment???

Plugged it in. Out 2 > GT800 > NL212 (no cab sim) Out 1 > CLR. Time to compare. FWIW, I received my CLR around the 1st week they were out and have been gigging it ever since. I really like the CLR. BUT.....I missed that "cab in the room feel"...not trying to start a debate.

I have many cab IR packs, Producer pack, OH, Redwirez. I generally use the Basketweave 4x12(Axe producer pack) with 2 separate mics in a stereo cab block. I have found that if I pick an IR I like then I can spend less time tweaking when new FW updates come along. I get tired of "IR tone chasing" especially if my main use with the Axe is playing live and not recording.

Well....I first turned up Out 1 and played some nice Cult licks and said.....ahhh...this CLR sounds so good. I like getting new stuff and being patient before trying it so I continued to play for about 30 minutes all the while the Matrix was fired up and just begging me to turn up the Out 2 knob.

So, while the CLR was still fresh in my head I turned down Out 1 and slowly raised Out 2.......hmmmmmm. Cab in the room tone to die for. I couldnt believe how chewy and thick it sounded. I really like it, full and very balanced. The highs are not shrill and the bottem end thumps nicely. I keep the far left Global EQ sliders bottomed out on my Axe.

So after enjoying this a while (using a BE, HBE and Plexi Jumpered) I went back to the CLR. The CLR still sounded great but "different" I think I prefer the Matrix NL212 better for jamming or playing with a band(although we havent had practice since I received it). I still need some more time with it.

The one thing I found very interesting was that when playing both side by side...I found that the cab sim/IR I had been using sounded very similar so if I choose to use the NL212 live and run Out 1 to FOH I think I will be ok without much tweaking. I did find that a PEQ for Out 1 with the IR helped get closer to the NL212's meaty thick sound.

Hope this helps some of you who were on the fence as I was. This is just my personal take.

I am completely happy with the NL212, quality is top-notch and the company has been great answering my emails prior to my purchase.

Thanks Matrix!

Great review.

Glad you are digging it.

Cab in the room is the shitz.

I don't know if I could ever go back to FRFR again -- especially when I gig. It is just not as satisfying (to me).

I will chime in here.

I received one of these last week. First off, the packing was top-notch, I had worries that UPS would throw it around during the holiday season....wouldn't have mattered....even the cardboard Matrix uses on their shipping boxes is high quality.

Secondly, it is very light and I had my doubts.....is this thing a toy or a real piece of audio equipment???

Plugged it in. Out 2 > GT800 > NL212 (no cab sim) Out 1 > CLR. Time to compare. FWIW, I received my CLR around the 1st week they were out and have been gigging it ever since. I really like the CLR. BUT.....I missed that "cab in the room feel"...not trying to start a debate.

I have many cab IR packs, Producer pack, OH, Redwirez. I generally use the Basketweave 4x12(Axe producer pack) with 2 separate mics in a stereo cab block. I have found that if I pick an IR I like then I can spend less time tweaking when new FW updates come along. I get tired of "IR tone chasing" especially if my main use with the Axe is playing live and not recording.

Well....I first turned up Out 1 and played some nice Cult licks and said.....ahhh...this CLR sounds so good. I like getting new stuff and being patient before trying it so I continued to play for about 30 minutes all the while the Matrix was fired up and just begging me to turn up the Out 2 knob.

So, while the CLR was still fresh in my head I turned down Out 1 and slowly raised Out 2.......hmmmmmm. Cab in the room tone to die for. I couldnt believe how chewy and thick it sounded. I really like it, full and very balanced. The highs are not shrill and the bottem end thumps nicely. I keep the far left Global EQ sliders bottomed out on my Axe.

So after enjoying this a while (using a BE, HBE and Plexi Jumpered) I went back to the CLR. The CLR still sounded great but "different" I think I prefer the Matrix NL212 better for jamming or playing with a band(although we havent had practice since I received it). I still need some more time with it.

The one thing I found very interesting was that when playing both side by side...I found that the cab sim/IR I had been using sounded very similar so if I choose to use the NL212 live and run Out 1 to FOH I think I will be ok without much tweaking. I did find that a PEQ for Out 1 with the IR helped get closer to the NL212's meaty thick sound.

Hope this helps some of you who were on the fence as I was. This is just my personal take.

I am completely happy with the NL212, quality is top-notch and the company has been great answering my emails prior to my purchase.

Thanks Matrix!

Hi, i am leaning towards the same rig (gt1000fx and nl212) but the user manual (nl212) states that "a degree of caution" is necessary since the gt1000fx is too powerfull... :ambivalence: I am a noob... How does that work? I don't want to blow up the speakers. :nightmare:

Text in the manual:
"The matrix GT and GM series amplifiers may also be used at the users discretion to power this cabinet, however generally they may be considered too powerful to run the cabinet without a degree of caution applied with regards to volume level demanded from the cabinet and amplifier combination. Note that driving the cabinet too hard on a large amplifier is likely to damage the loudspeaker/amplifier."

Hi, i am leaning towards the same rig (gt1000fx and nl212) but the user manual (nl212) states that "a degree of caution" is necessary since the gt1000fx is too powerfull... :ambivalence: I am a noob... How does that work? I don't want to blow up the speakers. :nightmare:

No issues ... As with any powerful amp -- you should not be careless when you use it.

Blowing out your ear drums and blowing out speakers are not mutually exclusive.

Buy the GT1000FX and the NL212 and be happy happy happy!

Hi LVC,

I know you like it alot :)
How do you set gain controls on gt and Axefx? Can you set the gain on gt on full (no attenuation) and then regulate volume with output controls on Axefx? (Starting with zero) or do you have to balance it... I am wondering if the attenuation does color the tone...

Hi LVC,

I know you like it alot :)
How do you set gain controls on gt and Axefx? Can you set the gain on gt on full (no attenuation) and then regulate volume with output controls on Axefx? (Starting with zero) or do you have to balance it... I am wondering if the attenuation does color the tone...

I start off with the Matrix controls at noon and the Axe-FX control at 9

Then I adjust from there.

When I gig I typically have the Axe around 11 and the Matrix between 12 and 3 (depending on the room)

With my GT800 I am running in parallel mode(mono) I keep the volume at about 2-3 o'clock and use Output 2 on my Axe for my volume control. Similar to how LVC uses his.

Ok guys, here are some of my humble thoughts...

I had some FRFR solutions for my Axe2 but in conclusion I wasn't satisfied enough with the sound I could get from it. 'Dang it' - I thought - 'I sold my damn whole tube rig to keep my back in good shape and to have some sonic diversity, not to struggle with these FRFR things'. So I was pretty much convinced that I am going to rebuy my cabinet and maybe the VHT 2/90/2... BUT... A good friend of mine has the GT800FX and a pair of NL12s. Why haven't I paid him a visit before?

I grabbed my guitar and plugged in.

MY GOD. That was it. I was looking for this all that time. That THUMP. That OOMPH. That TUBE FEEL. Something surrealistic, TUBE FEEL ON STEROIDS. Insane.

So this is it guys. As soon as I can, I will make an order at brilliant Matrix Amplification.

GT1000FX + NL212 come to papa...

Last edited:
I wonder what the difference will be on nl212 vs 2x nl12...

I imagine that the nl212 would have a lot more bottom end since it is wider and pushing more air, etc.

I'll tell you guys, I'm really digging the NL12 working alongside my Xitone 1x12 wedge. It allows me to hear the FRFR and traditional sounds together, rather than me committing to one or the other. I'd have no hesitations with getting another NL12 in the future. Really good stuff.

I have to apologize too because last night I said something like "really sturdy, nice metal handle" or something like that. The handle is not metal. :) That is actually one of the reasons it is not too heavy. :)

I wonder what the difference will be on nl212 vs 2x nl12...

NL12 cab is more in "the mids" and NL212 more bottom and more highs.
With two NL12 the diffusion is wider and "better" for cleans or crunch sounds.
So if you are more in vintage sounds I would go for 2 NL12.
NL212's have more punch and push more.
I prefer them with the Axe fx/Matrix GT1000FX (with tube amps I find them too neutral)

I am more of a punk rocker and use medium to high gain for my rhythm parts mostly... I am looking for an amp and cab for my old Axe fx standard. For now mostly bedroom level practice but want to use it for gigs also. I am used to the sound of mesa boogie tube amps with 4x12 cabs playing live. I sold them after i stopped gigging with my band that time. Useless at home and to heavy. Now for home use i think i can go for a gt1000fx with only one nl12 cab but i am afraid it will sound boxy/tiny at gigs. So maybe a nl212 would be better for me in stead of buying an extra nl12 later on...

I'm running a GT800FX with a NL212. It has plenty of power and sounds great on any of the amp models I've tried, clean, vintage or heavy. It's a ported cab so it has an openness to it that works just fine with clean or lower gain tones. I have not heard the NL12 but this thing has no shortage of mids, it is really well balanced throughout the entire frequency range. I'm enjoying amps that I never liked using IR's, Recto and Fryette for example. The new amps like the Liverpool, DIV/13 and Carr/ FAS Class A, sound outstanding. It is so nice just picking an amp model with little to no tweaking and just playing for a change.

What would the lf resonance value and speaker resonance frequency be for the nl212? I just finished a thread of Cliff on this. (Don't understand it) but it seems to be important when using a solid state amp with a real guitar cab.

Back
Top Bottom