Halcyon overdrive adaptive circuitry

qjawz

Inspired
Hi all, anyone have any suggestions on how something like the adaptive circuitry in the halcyon might be imitated in the axe fx?

Here is the description in its position 2 mode.

“Full adaptive behaviour. The pedal’s treble and bass roll-off will be reduced significantly as it cleans up, for a seamless transition between a mid-forward TS808 overdrive sound and a full, rich clean tone.”

Depends on what they mean by "as it cleans up".

I would guess the they mean as you turn turn the Drive, there's less bass/treble cut.

To simulate, you can probably adjust the EQ page in the Drive block. Or using the GEQ in the block.

But it also will depend on the circuitry of the pedal because of where the low and high cuts actually happen. See the block diagram here:

CD79F68D-6DEB-409F-8DF2-56B3226E1D3E.jpeg

You can see that the Low cut is pre drive and the High Cut is post drive.

Probably simplest to just use a clean boost instead of a TS808 for lower gain settings.

My bad I should’ve posted this instead of the position 2 “This enables the Adaptive circuitry, allowing the pedal’s mid-forward voicing to gradually fade away as the pedal cleans up. This gives you classic TS808 tone with your guitar cranked but reveals the full spectrum of your clean tone as you roll back the volume knob.“ meaning it adds highs and lows back into as you either roll off or play softer

Interesting... That would probably require some special update to the Drive block.

Maybe the Envelope follower could be assigned to the Bass/Treble controls on the EQ page but I don't think it's going to be the same. Invert the modifier so the bass and treble are boosted while it's not being triggered?

That would likely be hard to get right.

Maybe the Envelope follower could be assigned to the Bass/Treble controls on the EQ page but I don't think it's going to be the same. Invert the modifier so the bass and treble are boosted while it's not being triggered?

I’ll give that a shot maybe it’ll get in the ballpark!

It's kind of what happens in some NMV amps when cranked good, like a plexi, which goes from saturated and compressed to open and chimey when you roll down your guitars volume.
It's also why treble bleeds most often sounds terrible with such amps.

Back
Top Bottom