Had to reboot FM9 both gigs

tommyh

Inspired
I've been using Fractal since 2016 : Love their products; However last night i did 2 travel gigs with FM9 ; Both nights i had to reboot unit during the shows
because it stopped working I had the same problem with AX 8 .....

I've been using Fractal since 2016 : Love their products; However last night i did 2 travel gigs with FM9 ; Both nights i had to reboot unit during the shows

Preset related? I have/had both, still not gigged with the FM9 but never had any issues with either.

what's the CPU on your presets when it froze?

my AX8 and FM9 have never done that ever on a gig.

I've done 5 rehersals (3 to 4 hours each) with the FM9 without any issues so far. Before the FM9 I used the FM3+FC6 for MANY such rehersals and only had a problem with one particular preset which turned out was pushing the cpu limit too far on a few scenes. Once I fixed those scenes, everything was fine. Can you share the preset(s) where the issue happened?

I've done 5 rehersals (3 to 4 hours each) with the FM9 without any issues so far. Before the FM9 I used the FM3+FC6 for MANY such rehersals and only had a problem with one particular preset which turned out was pushing the cpu limit too far on a few scenes. Once I fixed those scenes, everything was fine. Can you share the preset(s) where the issue happened?
Well what was the issue when you pushed the CPU? thanx

Well what was the issue when you pushed the CPU? thanx
I had a few scenes that would very occasionally go beyond 85% or so and the FM3 would stop producing sound. It turned out that those scenes used a channel of the pitch block that was set to a more cpu intensive pitch algorithm which I wasn't actually even using. After I switched the pitch block over to a less cpu intensive type on those scenes, it solved the problem for me. This is how I learned that blocks affect the cpu even when bypassed and not all types within a given block use the same amount of cpu.

Did the problem happen when you were playing the same preset?
Not sure bro. I only use 5 presets ,i was in the middle of a show so it didn't register which presets it was ,i have to think about what songs it happened during

Not sure bro. I only use 5 presets ,i was in the middle of a show so it didn't register which presets it was ,i have to think about what songs it happened during
Do you solely use presets or scenes with in the presets as well? Sometimes we can forget to check a certain scene with in the patch that can take us off the cpu cliff. Hope it gets figured out.

You’ll have to look at the presets you use when you’re not at a gig and look at the CPU meter as you change scenes/presets. Anything over 80% is probably the reason it froze because that’s too much CPU being used.

Do you solely use presets or scenes with in the presets as well? Sometimes we can forget to check a certain scene with in the patch that can take us off the cpu cliff. Hope it gets figured out.
My main preset uses 8 scenes with 3 amp models , i spent the last couple hours eliminating 2nd reverb as well as eliminating the Plex delay , i am now at 68% +/- hopefully that will rectify the problem ,thank you

I had a few scenes that would very occasionally go beyond 85% or so and the FM3 would stop producing sound. It turned out that those scenes used a channel of the pitch block that was set to a more cpu intensive pitch algorithm which I wasn't actually even using. After I switched the pitch block over to a less cpu intensive type on those scenes, it solved the problem for me. This is how I learned that blocks affect the cpu even when bypassed and not all types within a given block use the same amount of cpu.
Thanx you for your comment

My main preset uses 8 scenes with 3 amp models , i spent the last couple hours eliminating 2nd reverb as well as eliminating the Plex delay , i am now at 68% +/- hopefully that will rectify the problem ,thank you
Sounds like you probably (hopefully) fixed it. Good luck!

The number of scenes or channels used don’t add to CPU, it’s the specific settings/types used at that moment that contribute to it. The FM9 has a dedicated core for Reverb so you can add that back most likely.

You’ll have to look at the presets you use when you’re not at a gig and look at the CPU meter as you change scenes/presets. Anything over 80% is probably the reason it froze because that’s too much CPU being used.

It is bit strange that it already freezes with anything over 80%! Never had that with my Axe fx II. I can go to 90% or more without freezing.

It is bit strange that it already freezes with anything over 80%! Never had that with my Axe fx II. I can go to 90% or more without freezing.
the suggested limit for the 3rd gen products is 80%, has been for a while. the Axe2 generation is different.

it won't "freeze" the moment you go over 80%, but right now, the FM9 really wants you to stay under 80%. on all 3rd gen units, you might be able to get a bit more than 80% depending on what specifically is causing that increase, but the FM9 seems to be more sensitive to that limit at this time.

for this thread specifically, chances are some Scene/Channel caused it to push maybe to 85% or more suddenly (since changes are immediate) and that's what caused a freeze. personally, i have never experienced a freeze due to CPU staying under 80%.

the suggested limit for the 3rd gen products is 80%, has been for a while. the Axe2 generation is different.

it won't "freeze" the moment you go over 80%, but right now, the FM9 really wants you to stay under 80%. on all 3rd gen units, you might be able to get a bit more than 80% depending on what specifically is causing that increase, but the FM9 seems to be more sensitive to that limit at this time.

for this thread specifically, chances are some Scene/Channel caused it to push maybe to 85% or more suddenly (since changes are immediate) and that's what caused a freeze. personally, i have never experienced a freeze due to CPU staying under 80%.
Thank you for your response

Back
Top Bottom