had some noise issues... solved for the most part - maybe useful to others...

mistermikev

Experienced
so only on week 3 here new to the axe fx (loving it). When I first setup I was hearing more 'psu' noise from my pc. I have chased this demon many times and before the axe... I had it down to where if I just turned my guitar away from my monitor a bit it would be almost completely silent when not playing.

Thought a number of things might be contributing... the axe is very much hifi so thought I might be just hearing it a bit more.
I had just replaced my power supply so though it could be poor power filtering. had also swapped power conditioners between two racks so thought that might contribute. re-checked power saving settings in my bios. Ruled out that it was specific to a guitar.

Figured I was likely going to have to buy a dif power supply for my pc.
then I was reading that by default the axe output1 was set to -10... I'm running via xlr to a liquid saffire. so bumped it up to +4, re-adjusted my trim on the two channels, and s2n levels are much improved.

On occasion I have gone on 5+ day noise hunting excursions so thought this might save someone else from that insanity.

One other thing that was causing hum for me. My AXE FX III AC line frequency came defaulted to 50hz. The AC Line Frequency parameter, in the Global Settings menu, should match the line frequency of your country, (60 Hz for North America and 50 Hz for EU, etc.).
Once I change mine to 60 Hz for USA, my hum was gone.

One other thing that was causing hum for me. My AXE FX III AC line frequency came defaulted to 50hz. The AC Line Frequency parameter, in the Global Settings menu, should match the line frequency of your country, (60 Hz for North America and 50 Hz for EU, etc.).
Once I change mine to 60 Hz for USA, my hum was gone.
thank you Tommy - good to know. Right now, when I turn my guitar 45 degrees or more from the monitor I get almost dead silence listening through headphones but I will check/try this when i get home tonight. once I go back to a single coil guitar I suspect it might get a bit more audible.

furman m 8x2 solved all my unwanted sounds..i was picking up modems and wifi stuff( its all on the same desk) works well

thank you for the suggestion, but my rack has a livewire pc1100 and a rack rider 15. computer is on a separate acm pc8c. I have ferrite chokes by the dozens, even inside my pc, off the power supply. (I also do rain dances in the name of my computer being quite... hehe)
it's all drive noise from the pc I'm hearing. my boot and recording drives are solid state, but I have lots of data so... 4tb solid state drives = spensive. on my list tho.

thank you for the response... I don't want to give the wrong impression: at this point there really isn't a "problem" per se, anymore. My initial post was in the interest of solving that issue for anyone else who notices noise + is using xlr + didn't change the default output level to +4 and didn't make the connection between the two like me.

Totally acceptable at this point. The noise that's left can really only be heard in headphones and coming from single coil guitars in single coil mode, but some of that is just par-for-the-course of using single coils (without a faraday cage around them). I get the same result from copper foil shielded and shielding paint guitars alike. All that said: can always improve so I've taken into consideration all the comments and i do appreciate them.

Back
Top Bottom