Had some djenty fun with Ableton Live 9

Rhiza

Inspired
Hi guys, Ableton Live 9 was released couple of days ago. I upgraded from 8 to 9 and decided to celebrate.
Came up with a goofy riff, still think it sounds funny haha!

Djent djent djent all the way baby haha!

Hey, how do you like Abelton (in comparison to other DAWs if you have the experience)?

Riff almost sounds like a straightforward rhythm until it's thrown off beat. Haha. Nice.

Hey, how do you like Abelton (in comparison to other DAWs if you have the experience)?

Well, to start off. All DAW's are great. There are some I like more than others, but every DAW has it's Good's and Bad's. Even Ableton has some bad points.

I started off with Pro Tools, had LE and worked a lot on HD as well (Before it got native) I was really frustrated by the lack of features you got with Pro Tools and I realised how much money I spent, it wasn't even cross platform friendly. I then tried Cubase but I really didn't like the user interface and it got that stupid dongle thing. I tried Logic too, great features, but mac only. Since a lot of my friends used mac and win, I needed something that was cross platform friendly and could be used live on stage.
A fellow musician I know told me to try Ableton Live. At that time it was version 6. I couldn't really get use to that interface, but I knew there was something about it. It's midi features are just plain amazing!
After some time I stopped using pro tools completely and went Ableton all the way and have never looked back!

The thing I love about ableton is the workflow and how fast I work on it. Everything is on one window, I wanted a seperate mix and arrangement window, but I realized I don't need it. Especially in version 9 the features are amazing! I use the features of ableton all the time. I've used it in studio sessions, used it on stage and it has never failed me once! It's a DAW that just works for me. I also tried Reaper, great DAW for cheap money, don't understand why people don't use it more.

in version 9 the reworked the EQ, Compressor, Gate and added a SSL mix bus compressor clone. They also made some tweaks to the user interface :)

But as I stated before all DAW's are great, just depends what you are looking for.

I was messing with Ableton 8 the other day and couldn't get the input (USB from AFX) adjusted properly. It was far too high constantly. How do you set the input level?

I haven't experience those kind of problems. On Live you can't adjust the input level. That is left to the interface completely.
Could be the Master or the output on the Axe FX that is too high?

THAT was really fun to listen to, and the guitar sound was perfect for the feel.
The drums are a touch compressed for my tastes, but they sound good with that guitar sound and the overall feel of the riff. Fun!
Say, is that your own preset, or perhaps one you found elsewhere?

Cheers !

THAT was really fun to listen to, and the guitar sound was perfect for the feel.
The drums are a touch compressed for my tastes, but they sound good with that guitar sound and the overall feel of the riff. Fun!
Say, is that your own preset, or perhaps one you found elsewhere?

Cheers !

Thanks buddy! I have to admit I like compressed drums hehe. It was just something I threw together in matter of minutes, a lot of fret noise too. I guess the overall thing is overcompressed as it is :p
the preset is something I've been tweaking for months. It's nothing fancy.
Pedal: T808 OD (no drive, full tone, level about 2 o'clock but added a mid boost on the pedal about 1.4 khz)
Amp: 5153 RED with a bit of drive, bass 1 o'clock, mid 12 o'clock treb at 2 o'clock with bright switch.
Cab: Third party IR from RedWirez, it's a Mesa Rectifier Cab with V30's using a SM57 at cap edge (3 inches).

On it's own the guitar doesn't sound big or high gain. It's pretty flat with not too much bass or high end. It just sits well in the mix so I rarely EQ at all :)
The bass makes all the magic. I use a Fender Jazz bass. I duplicate the track having one distorted and one clean bass. Eq them together and compress them so it doesn't sound too floppy.

Using my Gibson Les Paul Baritone with stock pickups (Changing them to Duncan Distortion's soon)
That's about it :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom