Had perfect clones - Firmware 2-6... Sounds Changed Firmware 7-14

RackAddict

Previous handle "Djenter"
I had decent rendition clones of my favorite tones on earlier firmwares. Why does the sound of all the amps always change with every firmware update?

Progress... more authentic... list goes on and on. Just have to roll with it or stay on the firmware you like.

Because the process of heading toward the holy grail of tone in mimicking real amps/cabs changes what once was just decent.

I had decent rendition clones of my favorite tones on earlier firmwares. Why does the sound of all the amps always change with every firmware update?

A: They don't
B: You just picked up a used Axe II in January 2014 and it was still on a FW version from 2 years ago? Smell test failure here.
C: Go get FW 2-6 and Djent yourself to happiness.
D: Good bye now.

I'm lost. So go back to firmware 2-6 and get all the other bugs that existed?

I just can't get that DAR future breed machine tone anymore with the smooth bass and straight up raw rip. Can fractal possibly comment on whether that sound will come back? No matter what I do there is still this unwanted breakup of bass frequencies on current firmwares. I'm not able to get the focus in the lows or in the gain. I have tried every concievable configuration of deep amp editing dials.

Last edited:
Because basically I got the call. I was on a two year waiting list for my DAR future breed machine and its my turn. Its either the axe 2 goes and that comes or the axe 2 stays and I give my spot on the list to someone else.

I have about 36 hours to make the final call.

Last round of axe 2 tweaks before the decision.

Last edited:
What amp sim are you trying to do this with?
What ir are you using?
What are you running the Axe trough?
What kind of guitar?
What kind of pups?
Which parameters have you used?

There are a lot of variables, so if you want some help, people need to know the basics...

The other similar tone is Brujeria Raza Odiada album (the first 7 tracks or so off the album)
-Ibanez K7 modded with Dimarzio d-activators
-axe 2 models Hbe freedman, 5153, 6160s
-redwirez big box 1960B IRs blend of 57 with 421 or with u87 (can't seem to get the right IR blend recipe but those seem possible to that album)
-pro tools HD through omni interface

But it seems the deep amp editing parameters just do the same thing across all the amps

There is really nothing special about this tone actually.... Its just a basic 90s metal sound that bands got all the time back then. The difference with the DAR is just the power tubes which are very instand and percussive on attack allow for extreme wattage to still stay that tight. But the powertube modeling is not what I am worried about. If a tone clone of this is not as tight as the DAR, well its no big deal. Unless fractal feels the need to model those giant tubes as in the FMB one day then that would be a bonus.

Last edited:
Tough jumping that much firmware ... brutal, in fact. So many changes that you are beter off starting from scratch with a new preset and going for the tone. The firmware tonal changes are not a big deal when you follow the path one step at a time, but jumping from one end to the other is rough.

The amp modeling has improved in many ways. I think a blank canvas is worth a shot.

Last edited:
I've tried that also. The thordenal custom model in the Axe. Is that supposed to be the DAR model? I can't really get the intended response or sound out of that.

I do agree that the amp modeling has improved. But its not really the issuse. I'm more worried about tweakability for particular styles.

If this sound is possible then I will not sell my unit. DAR FBM100 - Playthrough - YouTube

That's one of the worst tones I've heard from Ola Englund's channel.

You can get those tones easily. Using Guitarhack Thisone IR I could get close with the 5153, USA Lead Bright, FAS Brootalz, Euro Uber, FAS Modern and a couple others I can't remember. The closest match is the Thordendal so I would start there.

That's one of the worst tones I've heard from Ola Englund's channel.

You can get those tones easily. Using Guitarhack Thisone IR I could get close with the 5153, USA Lead Bright, FAS Brootalz, Euro Uber, FAS Modern and a couple others I can't remember. The closest match is the Thordendal so I would start there.

Ok then please do so with various tunings both regular and low tunings and please post the soundclip of the guitar hack file.

Would like you to reference it to that as well as to the first half of the brujeria raza album.

Please don't bad mouth the tone. You might think its easy to get but its extremely harder than you might think. On the Axe 2, I can try to go for something similar.. but the bass still breaks up even at the low cut dial for the preamp filter stage. And rolling that all the way up renders a nasal quality especially in combination with a mid boost before the amp block is also used. Im trying to locate a diferent parameter that does not exist in the amp tweak modules available in the axe FX 2... unless there is a method of using the dials in some sort of combination that I am not aware of. all I know is one cap dials interaction with the bright switch. But this is not the issue.

And always present will be the negative comments such as "I can get that sound with a Samick on a Crate combo." If anyone can get that sound with a crate, or a marshall or an axe fx 2 or whatever you use, then as the saying goes "please show me the money".

Im at a point of terminal desperation. It is a very hard tone to get.

(The other very difficult tone to achieve which I would like is the Randall Satan that Ola has recordings for. He re-amped the Immolation Kingdom of Conspiracy album with it... that's an amazing display of that amp. I have tried the euro uber but am having some issues as well.

Yep, sell the Axe. get the Dar. Problem solved.

As Cliff has suggested many times, life's too short to waste time beating your head against a brick wall. If the Axe doesn't meet your needs, move on.

If you haven't been able to dial in a reasonable facsimile of the tone you're aiming for out of FW 13+, I'd venture to say you won't ever be satisfied with the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom