had a scare tonight at a gig

phil36uk

Inspired
Yeah so when I switched my axe fx on the led screen was scrambled and the led lights were all lit up. I switched it off and back on and it done it again so switched it off and left it for a while. When I switched it back on it worked fine. Is there anything to worry about or could it just have been dodgy power at the venue?

While not common, it can hang on boot time. It used to happen to me a lot with the II when I turned the unit on with a power conditioner. Just restart, it probably was something to with the voltage levels as you we powering up.

I had that problem once or twice with my II, but I've since switched my power conditioner/outlet strip to a sequencing unit from Carvin, the AC120S and it hasn't happened since. Each time you power up a unit, there's a anywhere from a little to a lotta surge, which can cause a brief voltage drop. Digital devices are often sensitive to such things, so they're to be avoided in order to prevent bad boots. With that unit, you don't bang the whole rack to life at once - things come up and shut down in sequence. Prevents disruptive sags, as well as eliminating the dreaded popping of your tweeters/crossovers and possibly blowing them out. They're only a few bucks more than your typical Furman unit, but to my mind they're a lot more useful. As a plus, they use LED pull-out lights (which are plenty bright and nicely diffused) instead of incandescents, so you don't have to carry around 1,459 spare bulbs. They essentially last forever.

Just before you go too mad and get carried away with the wonders (and expense) of power conditioners Phil, this little lot always gets powered up in one go straight from a standard 13amp feed with no conditioner present

Coverd-Rack.jpg

Not had any issues either... although I do know that's now gone and cursed it! ;)

This happens to me once every couple of months or so (with everyday usage pretty much). I remember reading something from one of the Fractal guys somewhere that it happens now and then and you shouldn't worry about it, it's not a defective unit.

Back
Top Bottom