Guthrie settles the tonewood debate, perhaps

Interesting. Maybe I'm naive, or maybe I'm extremely biased, but I didn't realize this was even up for debate, let alone an ongoing one. I assumed it was plainly obvious at this point that wood type affects sound/timbre on instruments, speaker cabinets, etc.

It's not necessarily a debate about if the wood affects tone, it's a detate about how much the wood affects tone - imo plenty of room for discussion on the latter and little in the way of controlled tests available that quantify anything with any accuracy.

This. It's empirically obvious that the density, mass, etc of the vibrating system that is a guitar affects how the strings resonate... whether or not a $5,000 AAAAA master built wood library deluxe reissue double-quilted flame Brazilian double secret mahogany top kiln dried in the fires of Mordor since SRV bought his first set of NOS Sylvania 6L6s makes an substantial enough difference to warrant that kind of cash is still an open question.

I personally think that wood treatment and overall dimensions of the guitar (neck joint construction, body/neck thickness, etc) have a bigger impact.

Last edited:
...kiln dried in Mordor:tongueclosed::tongueclosed:
Paying Make It Rain GIF by Travis

It's not necessarily a debate about if the wood affects tone, it's a detate about how much the wood affects tone - imo plenty of room for discussion on the latter and little in the way of controlled tests available that quantify anything with any accuracy.
I understand that part of it being an actual debate, but that's not what the linked article is talking about, really. It's discussing a respected professional guitarist taking two guitars with everything the same except the wood type, and demonstrating that there is an audible difference between them. Unless I missed it, I don't think he's attempting to quantify any of those differences in this case, is he?

Is the counterpoint in this example that "of course two instruments will sound different from each other, but who's to say that it's the wood type, specifically, that is accounting for said sonic differences?"

(I'll leave this alone moving forward, as I can see that this is clearly a triggering issue around here. I was just genuinely curious as someone who's newer to this forum. Totally didn't realize I was batting a wasp's nest with the topic.)

triggered? wasps nest? wth? - I responded with a logical comment - it's a forum, that's what happens here
Oh sorry, I didn't actually mean you in particular, I moreso meant the vibe of the posts that followed. You actually answered my question!

Back
Top Bottom