Guthrie Govan tone

samvallen

[EDIT] - So this is a pretty old thread now. The patch in question has featured all over my album "Moments From Ephemeral City" by my band Caligula's Horse. You can hear the patch and download the whole album (for free if you like) at Caligula's Horse

The patch is attached below. I've thrown a couple of other patches up in the thread I started for the album, they can be found here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/recordings/34748-free-caligulas-horse-moments-ephemeral-city.html

I used an original 70's Gibson L6-S and an Ibanez RG with Dimarzio Blaze II's for the recording. The sound works equally well for both of these guitars. Also, note that the patch is tuned for live play (a little duller), you may want to increase the treble a bit for recording depending on your taste. Once you crank it up it'll make sense....

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Lead Cornford.syx
    2 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Wow dude! That's some sick stuff! Who cares if it sounds like GG or not! :D
Thanks for sharing the patch though, I'm going to see if some of the mojo rubs off ;-)

Wow indeed! Incredible playing. I'm gonna try that preset.

lol, Well I think it sounds like Guthrie!

It's certainly a tough tone to nail but I think I'm in the ballpark at least.

Anyway, thanks heaps guys, I look forward to sharing more of my patches soon.

Haha, I get told I sound English all the time. My dad's English and the accent's rubbed off on me......

Thanks again guys;)

The guitar I used is a 1971 Gibson L6-S, from the research I've done the pickups are amongst the first designed by Bill Lawrence. The guitar has a much warmer and mid heavy sound than any of my other guitars, which are all super strats with high gain humbuckers.

Very Well played, enjoyed every second of that!!!!! Thanks for the patches. Guthrie is one of my all time favorite guitarist, one of the reasons i ordered my Suhr.

Joe

I've edited the first post to include the latest version of the patch, and a youtube video as an example of the sound.[attachment=0:189btemx]Govan Cornford update.syx[/attachment:189btemx]

Attachments

• Govan Cornford update.syx
    2 KB · Views: 280
Hey sam i really like the tone but for some reason my axe-edit is not recognizing the files..can you please list the settings? thanks.

Back
Top Bottom