Guitars & basses in progress now......

Here are a few instruments that I've been building since the beginning of the year.

Last weekend I put a new top on a Mahogany Strat body that I built 13 years ago. One of my friends owned it & I swapped him an uncarved Mahogany Strat so he could mount a different style of tremelo. I ended up w/ his original in exchange.
The only downside was that his Mahogany body had half a dozen extra holes in it from various tremelo systems. So I sanded of the top & glued on a nice set of Indian Rosewood in its place.
It came out better than I expected, so I made a solid Indian Rosewood neck & Honduran Rosewood fretboard to match. I found some smaller Laotian Rosewood scraps that I glued together & cross grain laminated for the pickguard & rear cover plate.
I just started fitting the parts today. I'm really looking forward to hearing this one out of all the others.

Cheers!
Gabe

Attachments

• IMG_7472.JPG
    IMG_7472.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7460.JPG
    IMG_7460.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7445.JPG
    IMG_7445.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7448.JPG
    IMG_7448.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7469.JPG
    IMG_7469.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7443.JPG
    IMG_7443.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7477.JPG
    IMG_7477.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7478.JPG
    IMG_7478.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7479.JPG
    IMG_7479.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7480.JPG
    IMG_7480.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
Very nice. The S style would make a great looking HH guitar.
I don't doubt that at all. I have another pickguard blank that I made & so It's definitely feasible.

Right now I'm on a bit of a single coil kick. I've been a metal head since I was teen & have always had humbucker loaded guitars.
Now I'm 52 & I still like the high gain, but there's something about that glassy single coil tone that's pulling me in that direction.
Not to mention, I have so many awesome amps & cabs in the AxeFx3 that I really want to see what it can do w/ some of the cleaner/ edge of breakup tones. :)

Thanks for pointing them out. New to me.
I'll read up on them now. :)

My ideal is a realistic noiseless split, and Scott Lawing has, from all accounts I've read, created the most convincing noiseless Strat tones. These are some of the only"noiseless split" pickups out there. They are noiseless, but it's not really a split; you've got one humbucker sounding ZexCoil (one coil per string single coil sized pickup) next to one that sounds like a single coil. Then you can combine them for a high output P90 tone.

Back
Top Bottom