Guitarists and gear obsession

I've bought and sold a couple of hundred guitars in my life, easy. Looking back on it, I wish I would have spent all that money on lessons, and used all that time to practice. Then I could make any guitar sound good.

i was a sucker for marketing, thats what it was .. marketing = making people believe they need something they dont,, imo

I tend to agree with these perspectives.

Also - a good point was made about the # of variables in an electric guitar signal chain.

I'm going to make a commitment to practice and focus on playing and quit obsessing about gear!

And this time..... I mean it!

can be a good investment - if you know what to look for / prepared to hang on to the good stuff for a long time.

I believe it's pretty much the same with every hobby.
I paint and draw a lot and it causes the exact same symptoms. "I want that drawing tablet. Those markers would be awesome! Aand those brushes, oh boy oh boy..."
In sports most people spend a fortune on the equipment - It's some inner urge to spend more.
Doesn't matter what the hobby is.

In the end it all comes down to this:

Modern people are looking for fulfillment in stuff. They will never find it there.

For me, it is the ever movable feast that is technology :encouragement:

Violins and bows etc are what they are - ok, a whole world of difference between good and bad for sure, but technology isn't necessarily replacing the 'classic options' to quite the same degree as guitars & drums etc

I believe gear focus comes from the difficulty of replicating the heavily massaged and manicured sounds we hear on pro recordings.

I suspect devices like the Axe-FX are the cure. In my case, the only gear I looked at after the Axe-FX Standard was the II. I'd be hard pressed to justify any further upgrade after the II.

I've kissed a few toads in my life for sure .... the way I played my gear seemed to attract them

The way I play they run for the hills. ;)

Edit: rather they hop for the hills, hee hee hee.

Last edited:
FAS definitely cured GAS. From time to time I will check a guitar but rarely come to buying one. 5 guitars over 20 yrs : one Epiphone J200 (new - 1990), a jap strat (new - 1985), a (G&L Asat custom new - 2005), a Peerless NY (occasion - 2009) and Fame Forum IV (occasion - 2011). I occasionnaly owned an Washburn ES335 copy (new 1988), a Fender Mex Deluxe strat (occasion 2003) and a Danelectro (new - 2004). I had only one amp all those years : A Fender Superchamp, the old version and was so stupid to sell it in 2003. Followed for 4 years an endless row of amps, preamps and poweramps that crossed my place and were bought and sold over Ebay, until in 2007 I found again my happiness with a modded Fender Deluxe (combined with the Digitech 2101LE), it got sold after acquiring an Axe II early 2012.
For effects I always was rackbased, starting from the UE400 (Ibanez occasion - 1987), a Quadraverb (occasion 1990), a Digitech 2101LE (occasion 2002, sold in 2012) and an ULTRA (new)from 2010-2012. Further a tiny few stompboxes, the ordinary stuff : Wah, & disto).
The difficulty in the start with the Axe was FRFR amplification but I only bought and tried one amp, a new Traynor K4 that I'll change before summer for a dB Technologies FM12 as the K4 is too damn heavy. I'm too tired of trying out tons of amps again, what counts for me is to have the monitor function. The sound of the AXe over PA, even different and smaller ones, generally is "good enough", so all what counts is to have a "sufficient" monitoring.
Since 2012 the only thing I occasionally look after is changing PU on my jap strat and - an old dream - a Les Paul Custom maybe in few years from now, but I consider myself cured from GAS definitely compared to the "horror years" 2003-2007.
For reasons I don't know and what I understand from hereabove classic instrument players don't have so much of what I'd call a "learning and development curve" over the years. As an amateur I very slowly "grew into my instruments" and whenever I changed instruments it really was because I needed "something new", fresh sound to devellop my skills and sound abilities. PRobably for this reason only the instruments I bought were new, all the other stuff almost always was second hand stuff, except the Axe Fx and the K4. And when I change instrument, generally it's predecessor doesn't get played a lot anymore, but if the instrument was "good enough" for me I'll keep it for recalling old sounds/styles from time to time.
Ah....and I have it all in the attic, as I don't have a basement !

I wouldn't consider myself a guitarist yet as I haven't been playing that long but what I lack in time played I make up with enthusiasm and in the 18 months or so I have been playing (I'm a late bloomer at 40) I've owned 5 amps trying to find a sound I like whilst also having an amp for every direction my learning takes me, the axe has fulfilled my AMP GAS now as I have a little black box that can feed my need.

I now have 5 guitars also and I am yet to find one I truly love so I still have guitar GAS whilst I am extremely fond of my EBMM JPXI and LTD H1001 (these are my favourites) I am still on the lookout for THE GUITAR for me.

So once I find the one my GAS will be cured, luckily I have an understanding fiancé who allows me to follow my new found love of guitar

I wouldn't consider myself a guitarist yet as I haven't been playing that long but what I lack in time played I make up with enthusiasm and in the 18 months or so I have been playing (I'm a late bloomer at 40) I've owned 5 amps trying to find a sound I like whilst also having an amp for every direction my learning takes me, the axe has fulfilled my AMP GAS now as I have a little black box that can feed my need.

I now have 5 guitars also and I am yet to find one I truly love so I still have guitar GAS whilst I am extremely fond of my EBMM JPXI and LTD H1001 (these are my favourites) I am still on the lookout for THE GUITAR for me.

So once I find the one my GAS will be cured, luckily I have an understanding fiancé who allows me to follow my new found love of guitar
You will never find the guitar you love. It's the basic principle of conservation of GAS. Once your amp GAS is cured, it hits on guitars even harder. :(

You will never find the guitar you love. It's the basic principle of conservation of GAS. Once your amp GAS is cured, it hits on guitars even harder. :(

No truer words have ever been spoken. I have acquired 4 guitars since switching to axe fx and I'm constantly looking at others.

No truer words have ever been spoken. I have acquired 4 guitars since switching to axe fx and I'm constantly looking at others.
Well, could be worse, I guess. At least expensive guitars have a good resell-value.

Just imagine you got car GAS or shoe GAS, like some women have...

Very true. I'm quite relieved that I no longer have GAS for amps and effects.

The Axe is brutally honest and really lets you hear what you're putting into it like no other piece of gear I've ever owned. Therefore, my GAS has greatly increased for guitars and pickups/electronics.

I've bought 4 guitars since my Axe purchase and I just recently got to the point where I'm satisfied (give it enough time, and I'm sure that will change).

Right now I'm going through the pickup change phase. So far, I've tried out about 10-12 different humbuckers in all my various guitars and have almost settled. Now it's time to start experimenting with pickups for my Strat.

I've noticed that GAS affects people of all hobbies, not just music. I've known people that have had serious "GAS" for cars, ATVs, motorcycles, photography...you name it. The invention of the internet has just made it a thousand times worse.

Well, could be worse, I guess. At least expensive guitars have a good resell-value.

Just imagine you got car GAS or shoe GAS, like some women have...

This is very true. Over years of acquiring, buying and trading gear, I've never lost even a dollar on anything ive owned. Most stuff I made money due to buying things right. Even moving from my ultra to the II I broke out even because I took a few things on trade for the ultra that I got super cheap and sold for a lot more. If you buy things right and are patient this can be a great inexpensive hobby

Back
Top Bottom