Guitar vol roll off, vs lower block level in the fx8?

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
I'm really resisting using the volume knob mid song. I play in a loud band and it's very difficult to tell if I hit the sweet spot. For clean sounds it really sounds much better if the vol is rolled down a bit. Is lowering the level in one of the preblocks going to achieve the same thing?

Probably not by just dialing back the level alone. When you roll back the volume on your guitar the potentiometer loses a little bit of high end as well as hitting the preamp a bit softer and the resulting tone is what you are perceiving as the sweet spot. You may be able to approximate that tone using an EQ as well as dialing back the level.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Try a filter block set to high shelf (in slot #1 of course) to achieve the same sound, if your guitar circuitry is standard and doesn't have some sort of treble bleed installed. Easiest way to find out is to try it - A/B test between lower knob / block bypassed and full knob / block engaged. To be slightly more precise, run the output of the FX8 into an RTA or scope that can show you exactly what happens as you roll your volume knob down.

Ok, ya I guess it's not quite the same. I'm really just trying to get my clean channel to sound warmer like a rolled down vol pot. I wonder.. What about the input impedance resistor and caps that are selectable on the fx8? I realize this is only selectable per preset but might be worth trying out.

Back
Top Bottom