Guitar Theory

gearjunkie

Inspired
Hey guys, I was wanting to start seriously learning guitar theory. (Not music theory and how to write and read it!!!) I know a little and I've been playing for 26 years. But I've always pretty much done it by ear and tab. I just looking for suggestions for books that start it all off very basic and move through scales, modes, chord theory etc. I just find most of the "30 page" one off, learn guitar theory" type books don't get very involved. I'm looking for a really thick in depth book or a series, or even a group of books (or even DVD's) that teach it well and work you through it over time. I would love to go to school but that isn't in the cards. Anyway if anyone has any suggestions or has found anything like this over the years please feel free to comment!!! Thanks guys

Hi there! Well, it always brings a smile to my face when I hear someone mention that they want to learn theory, as it's the one thing that can open so many doors to your creativity and voice on the instrument.

I learned most my theory in college during my composition courses and would suggest maybe looking into the textbooks that your local universities would use for their classes. They are available online usually and at a good price used.

For guitar-specific books, I have the entire series of Guitar Grimoire books. They are a very thorough resource of scales, modes, chord theory, progressions and exercises for the guitarist. I'm the kind of guy that understands very "technical manual" layout so if you're the same, you may enjoy these. The internet these days is an amazing resource for guitar education and would look to online lesson sources such as those offered by Dave Walliman, whom we all know on the forum here from his YouTube videos. He offers small "books" through his website that may be a great place to search as well.

I hope you find what you're looking for and best of luck in your studies. You will not regret the time you invest in learning the theory behind your instrument.

Thanks Jeff. I remember seeing ads in guitar mags years ago for the guitar grimoire books. I'll check them out. Yeah I'm a technical manual type of guy (electronics engineering technologist and journeyman electrician). I'll check Dave's stuff as well. I have a friend that went to school. I sent him an email regarding textbooks but I do believe it was music study he did and probably not "guitar specific" Thanks for the reply.

Well... basically most of the music you've been playing uses the Aeolian mode which is basically like the white keys on a piano. Seriously it's everywhere and it always works. (Everything from GNR to Dream Theater to Bon Jovi to Coldplay to hiphop etc.) That's the must-know mode. After that the other modes are easy to learn since it's mostly just changing one note here and there.

About creativity though.. I think theory can sometimes block your vision. "I can't do this because it's not in the scale" etc. If you really want to make original music try some advanced jazz theory. WARNING!! Extremely hard... but so rewarding.

Not a book but excellent nonetheless check out Truefire on the web ... lots of great instructional videos complete with pdf, guitar pro tab, and mp3 jam tracks ... IMO, the best there is for the buck ... You can subscribe to Truefire TV and watch every course they have or you can purchase individual courses on a DVD ... no affiliation just a happy customer ...

C Maj (Ionian) and A Min (Aeolian) both use only white keys. Same notes/keys but Aeolian starts on the 6th instead of the root.

True, but when someone says "only the white keys" most people would think Major (Ionian) not Minor (Aeolian)

Yeah.. I'm all about the minor. :) But like you said, a minor aeolian is the same notes as c major/white keys on a piano. And transpose them all you want. I could bet money on 90% of songs on the radio are based on that scale.

True, but when someone says "only the white keys" most people would think Major (Ionian) not Minor (Aeolian)

I guess people who don’t understand modes would think that. But, all of the modes can use only white keys. C Ionian, D Dorian, E Phrygian, F Lydian, G Mixolydian, A Aeolian and B Locrian all use only white keys. I believe Clark Kent was trying to make the point that a lot of today’s music (especially heavy metal) is based in minor keys much like a lot of classical music.

EDIT: And apparently he made that point before I replied :).

Yeah.. I'm all about the minor. :) But like you said, a minor aeolian is the same notes as c major/white keys on a piano. And transpose them all you want. I could bet money on 90% of songs on the radio are based on that scale.

I would take that bet. Most songs are in Gmaj or E min, in my experience.

Also, there was a study I read once many years ago that suggested C# Minor for some reason is the most "natural" sounding scale for people. They took a bunch of non-musicians and gave them notes arranged linearly in 1/2 steps with no discernible pattern to indicate white/black keyboard keys. They were told to pick out a scale and C# minor was plunked out more often than any other.

Edit: well, I am wrong. C/Am is by far the most common key. http://www.hooktheory.com/blog/i-an...ular-songs-for-patterns-this-is-what-i-found/

Last edited:
The best resource, IMO, is musictheory.net and it's tons of tools for picking out scales, intervals, etc... by ear. Don't just learn the mechanics of how it all works on paper. Make sure you're trying to apply it to guitar and/or your ear at the same time.

Hey guys, I was wanting to start seriously learning guitar theory. (Not music theory and how to write and read it!!!) I know a little and I've been playing for 26 years. But I've always pretty much done it by ear and tab. I just looking for suggestions for books that start it all off very basic and move through scales, modes, chord theory etc. I just find most of the "30 page" one off, learn guitar theory" type books don't get very involved. I'm looking for a really thick in depth book or a series, or even a group of books (or even DVD's) that teach it well and work you through it over time. I would love to go to school but that isn't in the cards. Anyway if anyone has any suggestions or has found anything like this over the years please feel free to comment!!! Thanks guys
I hate to tell you this guitar is a musical instrument. Therefore theory applies to guitar and music in general. There is no GUITAR theory distinct from music theory. AND you don't need to learn how to read music in order to understand theory.

@gearjunkie,

Is there any particular style / genre you are interested in?

Over the years I've gotten the most from style specific stuff.

For example, the Mickey Baker books mentioned in this thread are what I cut my teeth on learning jazz comping but I wouldn't recommend them for learning theory as it relates to rock soloing.

Clark, I think you meant to say Ionian Mode if you are playing only White Keys. Ionian is the Major scale. Aeolian Mode is the Minor scale and involves a half step between intervals 2 to 3 and 5 to 6.

If you performing in the key of C then yes all the white keys belong to the key that being said all the white keys also represent Aminor as this is the key of C relative minor.

If I were you I would learn things as you go along for instance start with the scale C major and learn how the chords are derived from the scale this is a great starting point. Look to youtube there is a lot of videos for learning thus type of stuff and have fun.

I like to use the CAGED system as a basis as the pentatonic scale works on pretty much everything. It's easy from there to make it major or minor and add blues notes, or chromatic passing notes (per Steve Lukather who is a master at this).

Back
Top Bottom