Guitar Teacher REACTS: Phish

I’m not usually into “Jam Bands,” but I do love me some fish. “Billy Breathes” and “Junta” are absolute masterpieces in my opinion.

Ian you are Incorrigible.........
I gotta be me.

Zappa doc could be interesting. I finally watched Between Me and My Mind last weekend and I love/hated it. These docs never show me enough of what I want to see. But maybe that's better?

Pretty funny watching him try to figure out the main riff. I know that's how we all do it but you don't usually see that part on YT.

Killer version of the song too. Remember watching the simulcast of this show in a theater in Raleigh... way before the days of couch tour.

I gotta be me.

Zappa doc could be interesting. I finally watched Between Me and My Mind last weekend and I love/hated it. These docs never show me enough of what I want to see. But maybe that's better?
Documentarians, like journalists, rarely understand either their subject or their audience. At this point the only people keft that actually give a shit about Frank is other guitarists. Hopefully Bill S. Preston, Esq. is the guitarist we need him to be in order to do what we, the guitar-playing hoi polloi, need.

I gotta be me.

I am very optimistic about this, and very excited
Documentarians, like journalists, rarely understand either their subject or their audience. At this point the only people keft that actually give a shit about Frank is other guitarists. Hopefully Bill S. Preston, Esq. is the guitarist we need him to be in order to do what we, the guitar-playing hoi polloi, need.
I am optimistic that you will be proven wrong.

I get it. I'm getting it!

:D

And the full video from that show if you just want to get your Sunday morning groove on:

This was annoyingly enjoyable because I usually dismiss Phish as music I would seek out to listen to or to learn from. While I know the musicianship demonstrated by everyone in the band is very learned and technically proficient, I think the leagues of stoner fans I came across during my formative years as fan of guitar oriented music while learning how to play was just a turn off. I'm almost too afraid and stubborn to open up the Phish catalogue and let myself be humbled and regretful of putting them down because I can't be open-minded enough to just listen and shut up my brain from judgement. This teacher dude seems cool too, but again, I get intimidated and turned off because he's trying to break everything down to theory and I know my chops and music knowledge pales in comparison... Oh well, at least I recognize I'm a flawed asshole! ;)

Yea, because it's some kind of competition where you can't like more than one person or band. You who wouldn't give a toss about your "loyalty"? Gerry, that's who.

He was the first musician I loved to die... it was so unexpected at the time.. I know better now.
So I couldn't just jump on the next bandwagon.

I've always been critical of copy cats.. I criticized guitarist who tried to sound like Eddie... The Dead owned the scene, and Jerry was king. Trey or phish would never replace what had ended... forever.

I actually meet Jerry. He looked at me over the top of his glasses, smiled.. and said how's it going.
True story... 94' I was a stagehand and Buckeye Lake.. Dead, Jimmy Buffet Cheeseburger in Paradise and Traffic
I got some killer photos.. I'll dig them up

Last edited:
I've always been critical of copy cats.. I criticized guitarist who tried to sound like Eddie... The Dead owned the scene, and Jerry was king. Trey or phish would never replace what had ended... forever.
They were neither copying nor trying to replace The Dead. They were certainly fans and, like all fans, incorporated something of their idols into their sound, but it was a mere touch. If you think that, that's all within you. Sucks to be so full of hate and misunderstanding of the world. You've missed beauty because of your sycophantic blindness.

Sucks to be so full of hate and misunderstanding of the world.
Some people are so easily and readily ignorable
He was the first musician I loved to die... it was so unexpected at the time.. I know better now.
So I couldn't just jump on the next bandwagon.

They never tried to. That was not their goal. The absurd comparisons are generated by music critics, journalists and other people paid by the word to stir up the pot. You give deadheads a bad name by regurgitating their bilious bullshit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom