Guitar storage : looking for guitar shaped inserts

waylander69

Inspired
Hi
My son sent me this picture of some cool storage for guitars
311137517_658747132436291_3100427342658326288_n.jpg

Now this has got me thinking as I'm adding the finishing touches to my new man cave
I have a space 1800 x 700 x 400 mm ( w, h, d )that I could put a chest of drawer in.
Was thinking of making a loose bean bag to lay the guitars on,

Can anyone else think of a better idea or any reason not to lay a guitar on bag moulded tp the guitar shape ?

cheers
G \../

My 10 guitars (and other stuff) go in a large fire safe, to which I fitted my own pine wood rack. Takes up far less rrom than that chest of drawers and utilises more of the available height.

safe1_lg.jpg

Mine are on the wall where I can see them, but the chest of drawers looks like an efficient way to keep the dust off and get to them quickly.

I had a case just like the one in your pic, but it was Anvil style.
I thought it was cool as well when I found it (used)....in reality, it was super bulky and a pain in the butt to fit guitars into.
Angled headstocks were difficult to fit properly (as all guitars are different - LP vs. Strat vs. Explorer vs. Bass).
At the end of the day, I found that a multi-guitar stand was much more space efficient and let me see my guitars rather than being in a drawer.
If they're in a drawer, they may as well be in a case....and being in a case (on a shelf or rack) takes up less space than the 'dresser' style you shared.
Just my experience.

My 10 guitars (and other stuff) go in a large fire safe, to which I fitted my own pine wood rack. Takes up far less rrom than that chest of drawers and utilises more of the available height.

safe1_lg.jpg
can you share more pictures of this? I love the idea of a fire safe. That is my one fear....house fire when I'm not home and I lose a closet full of vintage guitars.

Hi
Thanks for all the good thoughts , I've now come the conclusion the space I'm trying to fill is not suitable for a drawer unit and the self made multi rack like in the fire safe is the way to go .
Would be awesome if @Gadget could post some more pictures

Cheers
G \../

Okay, some more details and pix...

My safe is made by De Raat and I bought it second hand on eBay for not alot. Internally it measures approx. 119cm high x 90cm wide x 49cm deep. It holds 10 guitars in the rack and lots of bits and pieces in the shelves. The bottom stand is separate from the top neck separators and shelving unit.

It's heavy enough on it's own, so I don't think anyone would be able to steal it loaded. It is called a fire safe, but in truth I don't know how much protection it would afford in a serious fire. I mainly have it for the high security; any other protection is a bonus. Originally, this safe was designed to house documents in hanging folders. You can see the ladder holes on the insides to hold the retractable metal frames. I re-purposed these to help hold up the upper shelving unit.

The woodwork is a simple screwed-and-glued pine frame (approx. 20mm x 65 and 35mm rectangular section, plus lots of ~25mm diameter 'broom handle'), covered with pipe lagging and with plastic screw-in doorstoppers at the rack ends.

safe1.jpg

safe2.jpg

safe3.jpg

safe4.jpg

safe5.jpg

safe6.jpg

safe7.jpg

safe8.jpg

I love the idea of a fire safe. That is my one fear....house fire when I'm not home and I lose a closet full of vintage guitars.
I don't really have anything that is irreplaceable or one of a kind so I have my gear covered on my Homeowners policy just in case of theft or fire.

I don't really have anything that is irreplaceable or one of a kind so I have my gear covered on my Homeowners policy just in case of theft or fire.
I hear you. I've got some vintage Les Paul's and a few guitars that belonged to my friend that passed away. So sentimental value.

Back
Top Bottom