Guitar Rig - Native Instruments

Unfortunately, Guitar Rig doesnt sound very good and NI has a long history of not supporting/developing it. I was an early adopter of VST amp sims and purchased Guitar Rig 2 with interface etc when it was released in 2006-2007(ish). I held on for years waiting for them to take that next leap in realism but it never really happened. It started to become clear that NI loves DJ's more than guitarists and I eventually switched to Amplitube, which is far better (except for GUI, Guitar Rig has the perfect GUI IMO).
I purchased my Axe FX III in January 2023 and, while it's not 100% perfect amp simulation, it's miles ahead of most everything else I've had experience with.

I think the Axe-FX III has the indelible quality of tube amps. You can truly bring them to life, exactly like the real thing, in the Axe, but Guitar Rig is very much like a crude prototype from a bygone era in comparison. I believe you can return the Axe, so if you have an inkling to try and the funds, you instantly end up owning the best in the world. So many users, me included, don't ever need anything else. Any GAS you have past that point is purely for fun, but not at all for need.

I think the Axe-FX III has the indelible quality of tube amps. You can truly bring them to life, exactly like the real thing, in the Axe, but Guitar Rig is very much like a crude prototype from a bygone era in comparison. I believe you can return the Axe, so if you have an inkling to try and the funds, you instantly end up owning the best in the world. So many users, me included, don't ever need anything else. Any GAS you have past that point is purely for fun, but not at all for need.
yea this is pretty accurate.

any GAS you have past that point is purely for guitars. My appetite for amps and pedals has been thoroughly satiated by the Axe FX III.
Guitar Rig was a source of constant frustration. As were all other modelers I tried. Line 6, Amplitube etc. To me they all sounded like a crude caricature of guitar sounds; usually too compressed, often times nasal and constricted. Add to that the unbearable latency.
The Axe FX III was the first modeler that felt just right to me. But I had to create my own presets; the factory presets wouldn't do it for me. So be prepared to spend some time with it.

Last edited:
If you’re going for natural sounding guitar amp emulations, Guitar Rig… well, as others have mentioned, it’s not good.

However, if you’re looking for something that makes unnatural sounding and experimental sounds, it’s actually pretty good. Not surprisingly, it sounds great on a mono analog synthesizer. I don’t think it really has any capabilities that the AxeFX doesn’t have… maybe the crossover stuff. That is fun.

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

I hated guitar rig compared to other computer based ampsims I own. Could never get it to sound good. Trasferred the license over to a friend who seems to be getting better reaults. No comparison to Axfx.

Last edited:
Helix Native for a all-in-one package. It’s cheap if you got a serial-number from a hardware unit. If not, not so cheap.

If you already got a AxeFx, I’d record it over USB rather than dive into plugin-options. With axe edit running, and easy reamping if needed, it’s a pretty practical sollution. And then you can utilize the presets you allready know and have spent time adjusting to your taste.

Back
Top Bottom