Guitar Picks, What do you play?

I use a clone of the Dunlop 1 mm (Blue) from In Tune (intunegp.com) with my bands name on them. I have pink ones and white ones. I tend to use the pink ones more for outside gigs and the white ones for indoor gigs with lights, just because the white look cooler under the light. They are pretty much dead on the Dunlops though, so I have a stash of those at home for practicing since the bags of the other ones ride in my rack drawer and I always forget to bring some home.

I've tried a million, including expensive fancypants picks from $10.00 to $80.00 apiece. I loved the agate (stone) "Min'd Picks" of the 70's and 80's (always have liked heavy picks, and these had a 'glossy' sound that didn't 'chirp' as much as v-picks), but now SWEAR BY the Dunlop Ultex Big Triangle (they also make a more traditional smaller pick) in 1.0 thickness. They're the yellow picks with the rhino on them. They come in many thicknesses. They LAST FOREVER. They have a nice molded 'speed edge' that also seems to last forever. I get 'em in bulk: Ultex Tri 1.0mm 72 pieces

That said, I definitely keep a large selection of picks for recording - from v-picks (screamer, freakishly large, some others), the aforementioned Min'd picks, some old carbon fiber ones (like those too for general use - someday I'll have to put them head-to-head with the Ultex), an old quarter I left on a railroad track to get flattened, then filed, and various other oddities - they all have personality and excel at different things - in terms of speed and accuracy for picking or strumming, and timbre.

Last edited:
Eric Johnson Jazz III. Played medium fender's forever, thought I might have issues but adapts fine. The raised lettering is great for grip.

I have been using the JP JazzIII's for a bit now but I'll also go to Dunlop Tortex TIII 1.5mm, or InTune Jazz 1.14mm.
And I just ordered some Dunlop Tortex JazzIII XL's in 1.5mm to try out.

I am currently trying to switch from Dunlop Tortex .50 mm to Jazz III. It's tricky. I'm stuck between the two of them.

Tried all manner of v-picks, too slippery, keep spinning/flipping over as I play. I keep going back to the same Dunop 1mm Tortex Standards I've been using since forever. Nothing else feels right, everything else feels alien and weird.

What works for me currently are; in no order of preference: V-Pick Dimension, V-Pick Screamer, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 2.0mm, Jazz III XL, Petrucci Jazz III

Have settled on Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 for a couple of years now after trying out a ton of different picks/materials/shapes....I love the feel of stone picks (have several different ones) but the chirp drives me mental...

Ultex sharp 1.14 here too. They are sharp like a jazz pic. Slightly larger and have fantastic grip for my slimy hands.

Back
Top Bottom