Guitar music you've likely not heard

aculturemind

Inspired
Pre: if you're coming to this thread new, I recommend you keep commentary generally to comprehension of the music, unless you're interested in exploring and perhaps rectifying any lack of comprehension you may have of it.

[this is not 'Classical']

Last edited:
Guitar music you've likely not heard

I think I know why!

Even though they seem somewhat graceful at times, music is defined as a repeating pattern of sound. and I don't hear a patten to lock on to as a listener. I would be curious if they could repeat the exact same performances, same touch, dynamics, notes etc.... because most of it sounds very random to me

IMO, in general, some music resonates more with the "masses" than other music. The more that music resonates with people in any way (generally, emotionally), the more it is accepted as "popular" music. The less the music resonates with wide audiences, the less popular it is, and it lives in the vast "underground" of the music world. This stuff is deep inside the underground and probably only has fans amongst those with extreme tastes, vast tolerance, or intellectual appreciation for such things. Probably 1/10th of 1% of the general public, if exposed to this, would listen for more than 20 seconds before shutting it out.

The 2 pieces performed might come across better if they were an accompaniment to a movie or visual arts/dance performance of some kind. On their own, they are really HARD listening IMO.

I don't think I'd want either of these geeky Elliot guys rehearsing these pieces for hours on end anywhere NEAR me...but they do make some cool "guitar-gasm" faces.

If we're discussing "guitarists you might have never heard of" then I recommend people check out Ian Moss of Cold Chisel (Australians will already be well aware of him, he's a demigod in these parts).

Not a shredder, but an amazingly soulful player of SRV calibre.

I love people that push things further, that doesn't do that same old, same old.....however, I prefer (as long as sound is involved) that the performer is a highly musical person. It always shines through...the music/sound can be completely out there, but musicality comes forth no matter what. The first Elliot rendition did nothing to me...felt like expressive needs without abilities. The second Elliot rendition was another thing entirely. I could listen to that guy. 8)

Last edited:
These are new "So and So Shreds" videos, yes?

LOL. Are they? I turned on these videos and wasnt' paying close attention to the hands (was more captivated by the faces), and after about half a minute I stopped watching altogether and just listened on my ear buds. Stupid me! Should have known better!

(edit: I don't know...I just followed the youtube link to these performances, and after reading posts and watching other videos, I'm thinking that this these are the real performances...these guys are into avant garde stuff)

Last edited:
I made it through 1 minute of the first video, that was all I could take. After suffering through that, the first 5 seconds of the second (after he started playing) was enough to know I wasn't interested.

Sorry, but that didn't lead me anywhere I wanted to go.

The actual definition of music is sound and silence organized in time. So really, everything that makes sound can be considered music.
But these guys just remind me of this.

Still laughing at these :D
Yeah, first guy reminds of StSanders, not the second guy methinks.

I'm betting the majority of the people in this thread don't know this, but those guitarists are performing pieces by Elliot Carter, who is a VERY famous and celebrated composer, who specializes in atonal music. He's over 100yrs old and still composing, which is very cool. One of my instructors in college was fairly obsessed with him and in an effort to "broaden our horizons", he played a different Elliot Carter piece every morning as we walked into class. Not my cup of tea, but it's interesting how hears the world.

I can usually get onboard with avant-garde guitar playing.
Huge fan of David Torn, Bill Frisell's more 'outside stuff', Belew, Fripp, Nels Cline, Marc Ribot and all that.

Elliot Simpson and Elliott Carter are not players I would ever listen to for musical enjoyment.
They remind me of more technically advanced versions of Derek Bailey.

I bet they listened to a lot of 'Jazz from Hell' period Zappa.
No disrespect but not for me.

Well, the first vid was 2.44 I will never get back :lol. This guy is right up there with Henry Kaiser dumble amp demos.

Well the first piece doesn't sound anything like Elliot Carter to me. I used to listen to a fair amount of Elliot Carter. He was known for his remarkable metric modulations. Very difficult music rhythmically. And no, it's not new at all. Very academic and has been since the 60s or earlier. But I was aware of recordings for guitar like this from the 60s. Hell Anton Webern wrote stuff like this for the guitar in pre war Germany, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe it was post WWII.

I loved the second piece. I hated the first. Atonal, serial, aleatoric, free form have all been around for a long time. Quite old by now actually. A lot of "modern" composers" have been including guitar in their repertoire for some time. Doesn't have much of a home outside academia unfortunately.

Last edited:
Nope. That's not Elliot Carter. Carter was-- IS a very "famous" american composer. And he had nothing to do with Zappa's Jazz From Hell. It's from the classical tradition.

Back
Top Bottom