Guitar feedback with AX8

I though the threshold of the noise gate was set too high but even without a noise gate there is no feedback. On reharshals speakers are behind me, in my back.
Try turning around towards them and see if that helps. Are they far away? How loud are you playing?

Just throwing in a wild guess here....

In the song(s) requiring feedback, you are not using pitch shift, right?
You can't get feedback from a note pitch shifted.
Had that issue in my old days using a Roland GR55 and guitar/amp models. If I set for say E-flat tuning on the synth but the guitar was tuned standard, forget feedback!

Put the guitar pickups directly in front of the speaker - like 6 inches away, and start turning up the volume until you get feedback. Work from there.

Hi,

I wonder if it would be possible to obtain a guitar feedback with hi-gain amp simulation and the guitar just plugged directly in the AX8. I tried but even with FRFR or phone connection I'm not able to make it.

I tried to desactivate the noise gate, but nothing changed. Tried to push all the knobs to max but nothing changed too.

Any ideas ?

Thanks by advance.
add drive boost before AX8

Do you have a separated noise gate in your chain or do you use the "simple" one which is at the first place of the chain? Just in case, check both.

I have a Telecaster with noiseless mic, not an easy guitar to get feedback due to the mic, and I get feedback depending on my patches. Overdrive also helps. I can share my main patch if you want to test.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your messages. I upload pictures from one of my patch just for you to see how I make my settings. This is a high gain rythm patch. I plug the AX8 in two different ways.
1/ At home : directly in a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with headphones as an output.
2/ At rehearsals AX8 is plugged directly into the console and get output sound through speakers.Capture d’écran 2019-07-10 à 21.47.11.pngCapture d’écran 2019-07-10 à 21.47.56.pngCapture d’écran 2019-07-10 à 21.48.09.pngCapture d’écran 2019-07-10 à 21.48.19.png

Do you have a separated noise gate in your chain or do you use the "simple" one which is at the first place of the chain? Just in case, check both.

I have a Telecaster with noiseless mic, not an easy guitar to get feedback due to the mic, and I get feedback depending on my patches. Overdrive also helps. I can share my main patch if you want to test.
Hi,
Sure why not ! Thank you

Fytz, you're not going to get much feedback if you don't have a good physical relationship with the speakers you're coming out of. As many have pointed out, as much as anything else, you'll need a reasonable volume. And you need to be able to get right in front of the speakers.

Output choice 1 - headphones - forget it. You're never going to get feedback that way.
Output choice 2 - going through console (you mean mixing board, right?) into "speakers" - what speakers? What are they? Where are you in relation to them? What are they doing to your sound? Are they coloring it in some way?

I've not gotten very satisfactory results getting harmonic feedback from PA speakers. With my Atomic CLR? Yes, sounds fantastic.

i.e., it is the output volume from speakers that causes the components of your instrument -- the strings, wood, pickups(windings?) to vibrate further (that's what feedback means--it's a loop between the guitar feeding the speaker...which then feeds back to the guitar). Only when you have a good physical relationship between the guitar and the speaker (and enough volume) can you produce good, natural, harmonic feedback. With the right sounds/physical orientation, it may not require that much volume. With the "wrong" sounds and/or physical relationship to the speaker, you'll never get natural harmonic feedback.

Fytz, you're not going to get much feedback if you don't have a good physical relationship with the speakers you're coming out of. As many have pointed out, as much as anything else, you'll need a reasonable volume. And you need to be able to get right in front of the speakers.

Output choice 1 - headphones - forget it. You're never going to get feedback that way.
Output choice 2 - going through console (you mean mixing board, right?) into "speakers" - what speakers? What are they? Where are you in relation to them? What are they doing to your sound? Are they coloring it in some way?

I've not gotten very satisfactory results getting harmonic feedback from PA speakers. With my Atomic CLR? Yes, sounds fantastic.
Yeah I know that trough headphones i’ll Have no feedback. The question concern the output choice 2. By console I mean mixing board right. I don’t remember what are the speakers but they’re not coloring my song. They are in my back.

I’m playing with a very reasonable volume. But maybe I have to set better the relation between the Ax8 and the mixing board. AX8 output is set between 10 and 12 o’clock. If I set it higher the input of the mixing board is saturated, even if I put the input volume down from the mixing board.

In all case, thanks for your advices and your time

i.e., it is the output volume from speakers that causes the components of your instrument -- the strings, wood, pickups(windings?) to vibrate further (that's what feedback means--it's a loop between the guitar feeding the speaker...which then feeds back to the guitar). Only when you have a good physical relationship between the guitar and the speaker (and enough volume) can you produce good, natural, harmonic feedback. With the right sounds/physical orientation, it may not require that much volume. With the "wrong" sounds and/or physical relationship to the speaker, you'll never get natural harmonic feedback.
Understand that. But the other guitarist of my band can get feedback without the need of being in front of the speakers.

Are the speakers you're coming out of used by the PA system? I.e., are there others signals (vocals, other instruments, etc.) besides your guitar coming out of them? If so, I suspect that's your problem. If not, then they're speakers that are simply not good speaker for amplifying your AX8 (or any guitar signal). With the preset I sent you, using my AX8 directly into an Atomic CLR Neo, I get fantastic harmonic feedback at a volume that I can talk (loudly) over. I use a Les Paul with low output humbuckers (the stock Custom Buckers that came in the guitar).

You may want to have your other guitar play plug his guitar into your AX8 and see if it produces feedback when played through you mixer/speakers. If it does, then you know there may be some issue with your guitar itself (ime, seems kind of unlikely). Also, you can try plugging your guitar into his rig and seeing if you can get feedback from it as easily has he does....

Last edited:
Understand that. But the other guitarist of my band can get feedback without the need of being in front of the speakers.

Is he running direct? What equipment? Next time, trade guitars with him and see who gets feedback. Maybe his pickups are microphonic.

Are the speakers you're coming out of used by the PA system? I.e., are there others signals (vocals, other instruments, etc.) besides your guitar coming out of them? If so, I suspect that's your problem. If not, then they're speakers that are simply not good speaker for amplifying your AX8 (or any guitar signal). With the preset I sent you, using my AX8 directly into an Atomic CLR Neo, I get fantastic harmonic feedback at a volume that I can talk (loudly) over. I use a Les Paul with low output humbuckers (the stock Custom Buckers that came in the guitar).
You may want to have your other guitar play plug his guitar into your AX8 and see if it produces feedback when played through you mixer/speakers. If it does, then you know there may be some issue with your guitar itself (ime, seems kind of unlikely). Also, you can try plugging your guitar into his rig and seeing if you can get feedback from it as easily has he does....

Speakers are PA speakers and yes there are other signals besides my guitar (other instruments and vocals).

Is he running direct? What equipment? Next time, trade guitars with him and see who gets feedback. Maybe his pickups are microphonic.
He’s running through a Kemper unit plugged directly in the mixing board. Next time I’ll plugged my guitar through the kemper and see

I am using an alto TS210 and have no problem getting feedback so there is most likely an issue in your chain or the preset. I noticed in your preset you are using the petrucci mix, to me that was always a very dark sounding cab that didn’t do well for me...that is just me though.

Back
Top Bottom