Guitar / Computer Chair?

I ran into this quite a few years ago. But what I didn't realize is most of the comfortable office chairs have removable arms. I bought a really nice chair at "Staples" here in Canada (not sure if you have that outlet) but all those Office Depot etc. have very similar models. Sometimes it isn't listed in the info at websites. Find some you have in local stores (even Walmart?) and check them. Most do have removable armrests

I use a fairly standard office chair in my music room at home. I removed the arms and adjusted it so that I can sit flat-footed comfortably. A lot of office chairs have sort of a bucket seat profile, which means when you're sitting, the sides of the seat curve up 3 or more inches. That may interfere with your guitar, depending on how you like to hold it. My chair has a fairly flat seat, but with a bungee / mesh material that flexes comfortably and stays cool.

The one I bought is no longer available but amazon has tons of task chairs with flip up armrests. Great for the guitar room.

I use an office chair I bought at Costco. It is padded for my bony tush. I just did not attach to arms during set up. I have had that chair for quite a few years, but I still see the same chairs at Costco.

Good suggestions. I don't see much added value in buying a chair that purports to be specifically for guitar playing. A good stool is also a fine choice. I prefer to play standing most of the time, but it's nice to have the choice of sitting at the DAW when tracking / engineering.

As mentioned by another poster I too use a chair which has folding arms and it works perfectly for me.

my youngest kid has a gaming chair with folding arms, not sure the brand but it looks like a race car seat designed by NASA.

I've used the same chair/tool for about 10 years. I was looking for one with a back, no arms, wheels and a piston lift. That way I can be low when typing, but up higher with my guitar above the desk when playing. Found on in an office supply store (not big box, the local alternative). Works absolutely great and cost me about $60.

Herman Miller Aeron user here. The arms can be lowered quite low, but i can get away with just rotating them to the sides. Most comfortable chair ever. (IMO of course)

I did see some of those racing seat looking chairs online but a lot of them had reviews saying they were cheaply made. I'll have to checkout the local office supply stores and costco. I remember looking years ago and they had 1 type of chair without arms and it was super hard.

My wife threatened to get me one designed by her .... comfy cushioned, no arms, tiltable, height adjustable, curved back .... and a hole in the seat with a large gentleman's appendage toy loaded on a spring mount that went off every 2 hours in order to force me out of the man cave more often.

Back
Top Bottom