Guitar Center Purchase

Man. I remember when I used to want to work at guitar center back in college. They hit me up nearly 5 years later to schedule an interview😂.

On topic, is there any reason you have to buy from guitar center specifically vs sweetwater?

Man. I remember when I used to want to work at guitar center back in college. They hit me up nearly 5 years later to schedule an interview😂.

On topic, is there any reason you have to buy from guitar center specifically vs sweetwater?
Yes he said he has a 10k credit there in the 3rd post above.

I would just take advantage of the 30 day return policy and swap them out until you get one you like.

BTW: You can return any online purchase to your local brick and mortar GC - so you don't even need to mess with return shipping.

Last edited:
. The most disturbing thing is seeing a $4000 PRS full of greasy and other various hand funk.

You must have a good GC. I have never seen a new PRS on sale at any of the Phoenix metro GCs I've been to.

Basically, I can’t ever remember a situation where the sales dude knew more about their product line than I did. I guess this is too much to ask for these days.🤨

One can probably guess they are a bit underpaid, and work up to their salary level.

Employees are like hookers. Most times you're lucky if you only get what you pay for when you are that much of a tightwad....

IMO the only reason to actually go to a local gc is to physically try something out, but it's worth it to me if they have what I want, which is, uh, rare.

Not a fan of buying a guitar without pictures and weight. Painted finishes might be an exception. GC has really gone downhill since their heyday. CME had a guitar I was interested in. I messaged them that I needed to see pics. The guy said with their volume he couldn’t do it. And then he got off his butt and sent pics, and made a nice offer. Didn’t buy it but I appreciated the effort. GC is being dumb. Almost like they don’t want to sell guitars.

IMO the only reason to actually go to a local gc is to physically try something out, but it's worth it to me if they have what I want, which is, uh, rare.
That's just about my mindset as well. What might encourage a visit is some online research first, then perhaps a heads-up phone call. The GC website actually said the closest GC that had what I wanted in store was in NE Massachusetts, but a phone call to my local GC revealed that they had something else that was on my wishlist that I'd not researched.

The local GC rep was pleasant enough, but didn't pursue any direct sale. The rep simply said, "This is what we have, if you need any help, just ask."

I don't know if this is the preferred sales method GC is using now, but I kinda liked the no-pressure/no hassle approach. For those who found it difficult to flag down a sales rep when they needed help, yeah, something at your GC isn't providing enough assistance.

Whatever the results, I walked out with a new Epi Modern and case for my Epi Sheraton trade-in plus cash, plus a free 6-pack of jazz picks. Although I usually sell my gear on eBay whenever something new comes in, this was one time where I didn't wish to bother with eBay and took a loss of purchased value.

I didn't plan on buying a new Epi, though the Epi has its own features that were enough for me to want to take it home. What GC had in stock wasn't exactly what my visit was for, though the visit's purpose was to trade-in my Sheraton for something else. What that was, though, was something I didn't expect it to be.

You must have a good GC. I have never seen a new PRS on sale at any of the Phoenix metro GCs I've been to.
Well honestly the last time I was there which was the first and only time since the lockdown the selection was very slim. I imagine since this location is located an hour from the PRS factory helped give them an inventory advantage. 15 years ago they had a good many PRS on hand at any time.

I guess I’m sort of lucky being within reasonable driving distance from Philly, Washington DC, Baltimore MD.. Chuck Levin’s Washington Music Center was the place to go for any serious gear for a long time. Where I purchased my first PRS.

Guitar Denter don't care. I was shopping for a 7 string EBMM Majesty a few months back, found one at the flagship store in Atlanta, but having been abused on the wall it had some loose hardware etc. that I wanted to tighten up before I made a $4k purchase. Waited for their "tech ", left and called back later, still no attention. I was ready with literal cash in my pocket to buy a high end instrument from them, but they couldn't be bothered to do the bare minimum for a paying customer.
I ordered the finish I really wanted off Reverb, and saved almost a grand in the process. I hate buying anything from guitar center, but do prefer to actually handle the guitar I'm going to buy when at all possible.

What makes ordering online from GC even more of a guessing game is all of the other music companies they own and share stock with. I ordered a Charvel from them a few months ago because I had a store credit and Sweetwater didn't have it in stock at the time. The label on the box said Musician's Friend when it got to me. I got lucky, it was a good looking guitar and played well out of the box. That was a little bit of Charvel's doing too I guess ;)

What makes ordering online from GC even more of a guessing game is all of the other music companies they own and share stock with. I ordered a Charvel from them a few months ago because I had a store credit and Sweetwater didn't have it in stock at the time. The label on the box said Musician's Friend when it got to me. I got lucky, it was a good looking guitar and played well out of the box. That was a little bit of Charvel's doing too I guess ;)
Definitely, GC and MF are one and the same. I have already tried to insist MF make sure they don’t send me a GC stocked item. Not sure if they ever listened. When I was buying a lot of gear I got pretty familiar with a specific MF sales dude. He would call every 30 days. Either he moved on to greener pastures or decided I became a dry well. I don’t hear from him anymore. I did get a text from another sales person saying he can take care of me from now on.🤔😀

Congrats on the guitar!👍

Edit:
I should clarify that I dont know which way I would go on a guitar. This was mostly small electronic gadgets, etc. one time I ordered some lighting from MF and wanted two of the same thing. It came from two different GC’s one was new and never opened and had all the parts. The other was definitely opened and used and missing a bunch of hardware.

Last edited:
Definitely, GC and MF are one and the same. I have already tried to insist MF make sure they don’t send me a GC stocked item. Not sure if they ever listened. When I was buying a lot of gear I got pretty familiar with a specific MF sales dude. He would call every 30 days. Either he moved on to greener pastures or decided I became a dry well. I don’t hear from him anymore. I did get a text from another sales person saying he can take care of me from now on.🤔😀

Congrats on the guitar!👍

Edit:
I should clarify that I dont know which way I would go on a guitar. This was mostly small electronic gadgets, etc. one time I ordered some lighting from MF and wanted two of the same thing. It came from two different GC’s one was new and never opened and had all the parts. The other was definitely opened and used and missing a bunch of hardware.
I thought their stock would be the same, it's the same company. Not so?

I thought their stock would be the same, it's the same company. Not so?
The stock is the same. It’s what condition something will be in when you get it that’s the question. I have to say I think much of this was happening when the lock down and supply chain issue was at its peak. Take the lighting equipment, there was a point where they were scrambling to fill orders and I believe these particular lights were for the most part out of stock except for the few they had at various GC. So they filled the order that way. They came in two different shipments on different days from GC locations a 1000 miles apart. Yet it was MF that ultimately billed the order. It was also Christmas time.

Recent GC Update:

The Epiphone Modern you can view on page 1 of this thread is being returned because I couldn't bond with the guitar. My FM9 would require a major overhaul regards what user presets jive with the Modern for it to be worthwhile. Am happy to report that GC has agreed to take the Modern back, and refund my purchase price and trade-in for CC credit and cash or check.

Will be visiting a GC affiliate Sunday to pick up a new Epiphone ES-339VS. I'd normally have done business with GC for a used ES-339, but the used in an older model with Kluson tuners. The newer ES-339s sport Grover tuners, which are more desirable than the Kluson's.

I personally prefer the lighter klusons.
Older models usually are equipped with Klusons. The more recent ones (2020 moving forward, IIRC) are equipped with Grover Rotomatics. My old Gibby SG had Rotomatics, and were a joy, though they were easy to knock out of tuning because they moved freely within the tuner housing...neither are locking tuners like the Instamatics.

It's relatively simple to view YT for tips on how to DIY set-up your guitar with non-locking tuners correctly. Klusons used to have a two-point screw vertical attachment (maybe it's one-point, I didn't check GC's example), and I'm not sure about the Grovers...

The new Epi ES-339 will have butterbean Grover Rotomatics...I kinda dig the butterbean because they don't catch on clothing or objects as easily with the rounded edges...

tJlsJIC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom