Guitar Center Purchase

Maddface

Inspired
Anyone here ever have any luck with getting to choose what guitar you want out of multiple at Guitar Center? Rep is saying that it is not an option.

Wish they had a system Like Sweetwater where you can actually see the guitar and weight that your purchasing.

Anyone here ever have any luck with getting to choose what guitar you want out of multiple at Guitar Center? Rep is saying that it is not an option.

Wish they had a system Like Sweetwater where you can actually see the guitar and weight that your purchasing.
No, I haven't. It's just a box in a warehouse. Your GC rep can't tell you what's inside the box. Sweetwater has spoiled me for buying guitars online from anybody else.

No, I haven't. It's just a box in a warehouse. Your GC rep can't tell you what's inside the box. Sweetwater has spoiled me for buying guitars online from anybody else.
For sure, you would think others would pay attention to those details to compete in this digital age.

In store you might get someone willing to pull a couple out of the back to compare, if they want that commission bad enough...

Online, you're probably out of luck.

It is a great feature that Sweetwater offers. Nice to see the actual weight and grain patterns.

Visited my local GC yesterday and traded in my Epiphone Sheraton 335 for an Epiphone Modern LP. The Sheraton was OK, but the neck was more of a 50's wide C and wasn't as comfortable in my hands as I would have liked. The Modern felt much better with its variable contoured medium C neck plus the weight relief and Grover Locking Instamatics was a plus.

My goal that day was to trade in the Sheraton for an acoustic, but GC's selection and my desired price point didn't coincide. Before visiting, I'd researched several acoustics and my choice was either a Yamaha AC1R or A1R. I was about ready to walk out with a used Yamaha AC1R Vintage Natural, but the upper bout had a noticeable finish crack like someone had taken a chisel across the bout near the binding. Instant turn-off. What surprised me was that the GC website said that my local GC did not have what I was looking for in stock, when in fact they did. Used and new. Just not what I was hoping to find.

The last 10 minutes of my visit I stumbled across the Epi Modern that had new tags on it and was strung with new strings. Pelham Blue, about 7.8 lbs. The weight relief chambered body and Grovers are a nice draw for folks who prefer lower weight guitars & locking tuners. 15 minutes later, the Epi Modern was on its way home.

Regards choosing from multiples, GC typically carries one of each make and model in associated color (did not see their burgundy or graphite black Moderns, but might have overlooked things...) and hand-weighed their Egyptian Gold Classic which cost $50 less. Felt like a 10-lb heft. Once I picked up the Pelham Blue Modern, though, I realized this was what my visit was for.

It isn't always possible to view multiple choices on the GC website (their search engine and page design precludes this), but if you need to try gear first, the old adage holds true...test it and see how it feels in your hands, plug it in and see how it plays, examine any structural and cosmetic issues before you commit, ask about trade-in deals and discounts.

I was thankful that the GC rep took adequate time regards my initial acoustic guitar questions, and didn't push me towards any one guitar. I did tell him what my budget was, and he gave me what I consider adequate for my trade-in. Normally, I sell used gear online, but yesterday, didn't feel compelled to bother with online sales. Multiple choice or not, all it took was an in-hands assessment of what GC had in stock.

This is what was brought home:

Zg6lLnB.jpg

I used to work at GC many moons ago. They would get the crap, poor QC Gibsons. I would make sure to buy one you play and like. Inspect it closely.

My recent experiences with GC have been very negative. Walking in with cash in my pocket to buy is an odd experience. They have next to nothing in stock. Browsing guitars was a joke. Anything even slightly desirable was either locked or out of reach. Assistance was playing hard to get in the nearly empty store, and I didn't have hours to burn while waiting. When I asked whether the GC across town might have what I want, the sales guy badmouthed the other location. I ended up crossing the street to an independent place. They didn't have what I wanted either, but at least they were friendly and responsive.

Pretty vague. What is it you actually want?
I’m referring to online purchasing. Been considering purchasing a MM Sabre Cobra Burst and or JP15 trans black. GC is out of stock of the JP15 until sometime in October so I inquired about the Cobra burst quantities they had in stock. Rep replied that they had 4 so I asked if I could get the choice of which one I purchased and he replied there was no way to handle the special request in the warehouse. Me personally, for a $3500 guitar I think they could take the 4 guitars and snap a few pictures but they refuse. They have a 45 day return policy and MM quality is always good so I’m really not concerned. I simply wanted a choice though.

I used to work at GC many moons ago. They would get the crap, poor QC Gibsons. I would make sure to buy one you play and like. Inspect it closely.

My recent experiences with GC have been very negative. Walking in with cash in my pocket to buy is an odd experience. They have next to nothing in stock. Browsing guitars was a joke. Anything even slightly desirable was either locked or out of reach. Assistance was playing hard to get in the nearly empty store, and I didn't have hours to burn while waiting. When I asked whether the GC across town might have what I want, the sales guy badmouthed the other location. I ended up crossing the street to an independent place. They didn't have what I wanted either, but at least they were friendly and responsive.
I think that GC in its own right does have some decent stock, perhaps not what you haven mind, though. And that your experience with GC may be contingent on the workers and management of said store.

That being said, there are 2 local GC's in my region that I might visit, and I've found that one has better employees on any given day than the next. However, remind yourself that GC may be cautious as to who they let check out the high-end gear in their "quiet room," simply because they may not wish to let just anybody test drive the high-end gear.

If you're sincerely interested, say so, and then consider purchasing a high-end piece of gear. You're not doing GC any favors by test driving their high-end gear and not purchasing.

And yes, GC keeps their higher-priced gear up high or locked away for a reason. It prevents the average joe from potentially damaging an expensive piece of gear. As was said, if you communicate your needs to a sales rep, they will accommodate you. It's up to you to initiate contact, because GC does not always initiate customer sales.

Unfortunately, what it sounds like that your GC was short-staffed the day @ElectricPhase was there, which may have caused his issue.

In conclusion, it was noted that at the GC I visited, there were plenty of sub-$1000 guitars in reach of customers whereas the above $1500 were placed beyond customer reach, or in the quiet room. They had plenty of used or demo gear on the floor, semi-hollow separately behind a counter above reach, and acoustics available upon request.

Before settling on my Epiphone Modern Faded Pelham Blue, I tested several acoustics with GC's assistance (the sales rep happily used his step-ladder and took several acoustics off the upper wall), but within the last 15 minutes of my visit, chose the Epi because of its price point, weight relief, neck contour, and playability. GC did not steer me in any way as to what my purchase would be; they let me choose for myself. Had I been less experience regards guitars, it might have involved more sales rep interaction. That was not my case.

Last edited:
I think that GC in its own right does have some decent stock, perhaps not what you haven mind, though. And that your experience with GC may be contingent on the workers and management of said store.

That being said, there are 2 local GC's in my region that I might visit, and I've found that one has better employees on any given day than the next. However, remind yourself that GC may be cautious as to who they let check out the high-end gear in their "quiet room," simply because they may not wish to let just anybody test drive the high-end gear.

If you're sincerely interested, say so, and then consider purchasing a high-end piece of gear. You're not doing GC any favors by test driving their high-end gear and not purchasing.

And yes, GC keeps their higher-priced gear up high or locked away for a reason. It prevents the average joe from potentially damaging an expensive piece of gear. As was said, if you communicate your needs to a sales rep, they will accommodate you. It's up to you to initiate contact, because GC does not always initiate customer sales.

Unfortunately, what it sounds like that your GC was short-staffed the day @ElectricPhase was there, which may have caused his issue.

In conclusion, it was noted that at the GC I visited, there were plenty of sub-$1000 guitars in reach of customers whereas the above $1500 were placed beyond customer reach, or in the quiet room. They had plenty of used or demo gear on the floor, semi-hollow separately behind a counter above reach, and acoustics available upon request.

Before settling on my Epiphone Modern Faded Pelham Blue, I tested several acoustics with GC's assistance (the sales rep happily used his step-ladder and took several acoustics off the upper wall), but within the last 15 minutes of my visit, chose the Epi because of its price point, weight relief, neck contour, and playability. GC did not steer me in any way as to what my purchase would be; they let me choose for myself. Had I been less experienced regards guitars, it might have involved more sales rep interaction. That was not my case.
I use to go to the GC that supported the greater DC and Baltimore Maryland area. 15 to 20 years ago it was more like you describe. Not anymore!! All of GC’s problems are of their own making. Their business model sucked from the point they started sleeping with the manufacturers to the exclusion of all others. It was a bad faith business model.

You’re right they’re severely understaffed. Music stores have always kept their higher end guitars harder to easily pull off the wall. The problem with GC is you can’t find someone to pull the guitar down and then spend some time actually trying to sell the instrument and at the same time making sure you’re not a goofball. OR, the vibe from the staff is not accommodating to even want to ask. The most disturbing thing is seeing a $4000 PRS full of greasy and other various hand funk.

Basically, I can’t ever remember a situation where the sales dude knew more about their product line than I did. I guess this is too much to ask for these days.🤨

What is the return policy? Maybe you buy one, inspect it, and return it if it isn't good. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I use to go to the GC that supported the greater DC and Baltimore Maryland area. 15 to 20 years ago it was more like you describe. Not anymore!! All of GC’s problems are of their own making. Their business model sucked from the point they started sleeping with the manufacturers to the exclusion of all others. It was a bad faith business model.

You’re right they’re severely understaffed. Music stores have always kept their higher end guitars harder to easily pull off the wall. The problem with GC is you can’t find someone to pull the guitar down and then spend some time actually trying to sell the instrument and at the same time making sure you’re not a goofball. OR, the vibe from the staff is not accommodating to even want to ask. The most disturbing thing is seeing a $4000 PRS full of greasy and other various hand funk.

Basically, I can’t ever remember a situation where the sales dude knew more about their product line than I did. I guess this is too much to ask for these days.🤨
Again, it may be dependent on the worker and management of said store. In Connecticut, we've been fortunate regards staff. Although somewhat aloof, you kind of expect that from the many people GC sees each day who just walk in and not buy anything of value other than some strings or accessories. That's the problem. Most folks who just walk in don't plan own buying something of value...they're just browsing inventory...

You really can't charge anyone with wrongdoing if they only wish to try your products in order to make future purchase decisions. Problem is, GC is often a test-grounds for folks who wish to try gear, then buy online elsewhere...that may lend itself to the reason why GC staff isn't actively pursuing sales and lets you test drive gear...they may believe that if your experience is acceptably good, you'll buy from them, in store or online...

That may be one of the reasons why I visit GC at all...my experience has not always been good, but when I've researched their website first and called ahead before visiting, the service almost always is better than not doing the research/phone call...

My exact experience

LOL, no. To repeat what I said before "assistance was playing hard to get in the nearly empty store". They had plenty of staff, but willingness to engage with customers was non-existent. Same thing happened another time when I took a friend ukelele shopping there. Same result too. Went across the street, and she did find what she was looking for.

I spent several of my early years working retail, so I know the drill. From what I can see, GC has just given up.

LOL, no. To repeat what I said before "assistance was playing hard to get in the nearly empty store". They had plenty of staff, but willingness to engage with customers was non-existent. Same thing happened another time when I took a friend ukelele shopping there. Same result too. Went across the street, and she did find what she was looking for.

I spent several of my early years working retail, so I know the drill. From what I can see, GC has just given up.

Sadly a good number of the millennials and gen-z'ers in such jobs "quiet quit" a long time ago - meaning they stand around looking at their phones and pretend they are invisible. It isn't limited to GC.

And if you have the nerve to actually ask for help - what you get is often passive-aggressive responses for interrupting their TikToks.

Back
Top Bottom