Guitar Cabinet Users seeking lightweight amp options

Chris Hurley

Power User
Like a lot of people, I've been interested in lightweight solutions for powering my Axe-fx. I currently use guitar cabinets rather than an FRFR solution. I respect those using FRFR, but I enjoy using the cabinets that I already own and get the sounds I'm looking for with them.

I mentioned previously that the Electro-Harmonix 22 Caliber has worked well for me as a non-FRFR amp with the axe-fx. Like a tube amp, it will get dirty if you drive it hard, so you have to use it within its cleanish range. I use a pair of them to drive both sides of my stereo 4x12.

The best part is that even with the AC adapter, these things weigh something like a pound.

The reason I bring this up again is simply because EH now has a 44 Magnum variant of this with twice the power. It costs about 50% more for double the power. The weight is likely similar to the 22.

I'm sure this isn't the best solution for everyone, but I've certainly been enjoying mine and wanted to mention it in case anyone else is in a similar situation.

If you're looking for a light rack amp, the Carvin DCM200L is hard to beat. I have one and it sounds great through my speaker cabs - 200W and only 4 lbs.

kruzty said:
If you're looking for a light rack amp, the Carvin DCM200L is hard to beat. I have one and it sounds great through my speaker cabs - 200W and only 4 lbs.

I tried one of those and it certainly was light. I ended up sending it back because I didn't really perceive it to be much louder than the 22 rig that I already owned. I'm sure the dcm200L would have been vastly superior in terms of distortion because it likely isn't producing much. With the 22 caliber, it doesn't stay perfectly clean at loud volumes but I don't notice it as a problem through guitar speakers.

If I owned neither of them, the DCM200L would have gotten a bit more consideration for sure. It just wasn't a big enough improvement over what I already owned to warrant keeping it.

I'd still like to try the Velocity 300 but its "real money" and what I have is working pretty well.

Another option is finding a used Crate PowerBlock. Weighs a few pounds, very compact and has a carrying bag to boot. At 4 ohms, 75w per side stereo, 150 bridged.

It can be used as a head with gain/vol/low/mid/high or the preamp can be bypassed to use it as a straight ahead power amp. I've used one a number of times in small clubs with Vox & Digitech modelers to power a couple of 1-12 cabs in my pre-Axe days.

Pretty handy little sucker and makes for a useful backup unit when the other guitar player spills his drink on his Fender (bzzzzt - ZAP!).

TT

I installed a Power Block in my rack and use it with my Ultra, works great mono or stereo for clean power, and supplies backup via it's preamp if the Ultra ever has a problem.

I used to have a powerblock and it was quite a versatile backup. My bass player used it one time... i used it for a PA power amp once... played shows with it as a backup and even as a primary a time or two. It was a steal when they were being sold discontinued at 99USD.

Someone busted my truck window out and stole it and another piece of gear. They caused something like 900USD worth of damage to steal 150USD worth of gear. Needless to say, I was not amused.

Back
Top Bottom