GT1000FX help

gibvictory

Inspired
Posted this in the amp and cab section but I'm hoping for a few more responses. I've had the Matrix amp for a few weeks along with a NL12. I'm satisfied with things tone wise but the feel is not quite there. Every time I plug into my Mesa 20/20 the difference is startling. Using the NL12 by the way. I know the Mesa has it's own tonal color but that is not what I'm struggling with. It's been described on this forum many times so I won't try. Not trying to start another debate thread. I'm okay if the Matrix is not for me but I'm looking for tips you all have used to get there. The AXE is pretty deep and I don't pretend to know all the things to try. I saw a video on the Matrix site and it helped a little. I searched threads on the forum but ideas were hard to come by. I'm not ready to give up. My guitar has piezo's and is Roland 13 pin and the Matrix is perfect for that but I gig electric 85% of the night. Music is Classic rock- Eagles, Judas Priest, Pink Floyd, Genesis to Creedence so it's all over the place.

The Matrix video suggested a rough global eq to approximate a valve amps color. Played with B+ constant, sag, damping, compression, different tubes, Xformer match, built presets from scratch. I have memories of just playing my guitar.

Some info:
Amp sim on
cab sim on for FOH, OUT 1 (IR of NL12)
Mono set up
Don't use cab sim with the real NL12.

Have at it.

I'm running a Fryette 2/90/2, so I can't really say much about the the Matrix from personal use. I hear a lot of good things about them, and sometimes (especially when I'm hauling around the amazingly heavy 2/90/2) ponder the merits of a Matrix SS amp. The thing is, when I got my 2/90/2 I was blown away by how it sounded. I'd been going through a lot of amps (mostly heads) over the previous year, and nothing was quite *it* until I got the Fryette. It has a clarity and warmth that really has something almost magical about it. I'm not really sure that one HAS to run a tube power amp to get that "vibe", so I'm not saying "dude, you gotta go tube". Heck, I'm pondering the whole SS vs tube thing myself, so I figured I'd just post my observations, which probably aren't that helpful to dialing in your Matrix ;-)
(I am curious what you come up with in the end though, since I do ponder the Matrix 800 from time to time.)

If it's any consolation, I have the exact same issues with the exact same rig. I use the matrix stuff for stage volume but the preset going to FOH is designed for FOH and isn't exactly what I want to hear thru the matrix. I considered dialing in the matrix and mic'ing the NL12 but after a few sessions of trying, I decided not to compromise the FOH that I was happy with. I leave the volume low on the GT1000FX - it's there just in case someone loses their IEM mix.

I do have some presets designed strictly for matrix - I leave power amp emulation on and cab emu off (when I remember!). I also crank up the input drive considerably higher than I do for going direct FOH - mainly Twin Reverb, AC30 and 5150 models. The matrix and NL12's seem to tolerate higher input drives better for my patches.

I know it's sacrilege to say this on the forum but I feel that A/B'ing the real amp and the emulation is not a fair comparison. 99% of the time, the real amp wins. However, A/B'ing real amp mic'ed up and being fed to FOH vs Axe FX DI to FOH, I don't feel is enough of a compromise in tone coming out of the PA to lug around real amp.

I also used an amp similar to your 20/20, the Engl 840/50 in to a 2x12 V30 cab. It was very nice but it required a whole lot of volume before it got real. The lack of necessary volume is one of the major benefits of the Axe for me. I sold the Engl.

I also did Atomic FRFR. While it was more representative of the FOH tone, it lacked that realistic midrange fullness that the matrix and Engl have / had. However, this was also back in Ultra days so, those mid's I was missing may not have been there to begin with.

Anyways, I'm with ya... I'm sticking with matrix for now as it still sounds good enough at lower volumes. I give FOH my top priority and compromise a little on my stage tone and volume.

That didn't help at all, did it?

Yup, STILL belongs in the Amps and Cabs forum.

When I searched for GT1000FX, I found no less than 4 pages of threads on this. I'm sure help is there someplace.

FWIW, I had a 20/20, and I liked it, but it's also a VERY specific sound. That Dyna-Watt shite was fun, but it was also alot of the *same*...which is why I went FRFR. I remember it being squishy and spikey at the same time (which is easily attainable in the Axe II.) If that's what you WANT, then work towards that. Otherwise Matrix advice does not go in the Axe-FX section.

My suggestion is to hone your tone through FOH, then work your way backwards with the Matrix and cab to get to that.

Good luck.

R

Back
Top Bottom