Ground Loops with 4CM - Already using Humbuster Cables

I had a similar issue with the FX3 in the loop of my amp. I ended up making a handful of 1/4" TS cables with the ground disconnected at one end, to help troubleshoot things like this. I tried them one at a time in the send and then return of the amp, first with the disconnected ground on the amp side, and then on the effects side. That told me which end of which cable needed the disconnected ground. I'm not sure this does anything that a humbuster doesn't, but it worked in my case.

I may check one of those out. Ideally I’d like to run a stereo setup but the EVH with the Friedman doesn’t seem to gel well. I talked to Dave Friedman about it and he said it could be the ground loop creating the issue so I wonder if that would be enough.

I’m actually running everything through some type of Furman. I have a P-1800 PFR, an M8LX, and an SS-6. I’ve tried every combination of all three and cannot get it to quit.

I haven’t tried the Boost/Pad yet and I did see that tip in there. I’m glad that worked for you, I’ll definitely need to try that.
Boost/Pad will make all the difference in the world

Whenever I use tube amps with my axe I use these on the amps power plugs. (Ebtech Hum X https://a.co/d/89GdC2x) My experience is they work fantastic. Humbusters work as well but if you break one before or at a gig you are not going to find a replacement at your local music store as easily as a regular instrument cable.

A dedicated transformer isolation device is what I’d try next. I have a DIY box with 2 lines available, but several options are mentioned above.

Another option is to add a switch that lifts the audio ground (NOT power ground) for one of the cables - for example, built into a patch box on the board or at the amp side - I prefer this to a cable with the ground lifted since you can easily flip it when you need the ground (re)connected.

A transformer-isolated reamper could also work if you have one already and can configure your rig to appropriate impedance/levels (for example, balanced line level output from Fractal unit into unbalanced instrument input of amp).

Back
Top Bottom