Ground Loop/Hum etc...

King Tone

Inspired
Hi, I have a question concerning ground loop hum, line noise, etc. I can't be the only one with this issue...

First of all the axe fx in general is a really quiet piece of gear especially with a little light tasteful use of the noise gate and not go super crazy with gain and so on. However I do run into something a lot of the time on the road. I don't always get to run stereo but definitely prefer to do so when I can. The direct line/s is what gives me the noise. I know there is the ground lift button on the back which can try to eliminate such noise and it definitely improves things if not totally correct them. Problem is greater if I run stereo. I almost never get that to work quietly. A lot of times I can run mono and that helps. I also know that many venues do not have the best/cleanest power. It is odd though that it seems quiet on stage but the direct line can still be noisy. Are there any tips that may help this? Usually I end up running a mic and then it's ok. My power conditioner and ground check plug seem to say the ground appear good although I don't know how accurate that may be as far as noise. Maybe a couple of direct boxes and flip some switches..? I thought the axe direct lines would be just as good.

My rig is monster power conditioner-axe fx 2-matrix power amp wired very cleanly to my port city cab. I use suhr guitars and mogami instrument cables and evidence speaker cables. I wired all my cables, board, etc, I make custom boards, so I feel good about wiring at a pro level.

Check if your rack is causing a ground loop between devices. Rack isolation tabs can help clear that up. I don't seem to have any issues with my Axe rig, but my old Boogie Triaxis rig had some hum until I isolated each rack unit.

Check if your rack is causing a ground loop between devices. Rack isolation tabs can help clear that up. I don't seem to have any issues with my Axe rig, but my old Boogie Triaxis rig had some hum until I isolated each rack unit.

That is an idea to try but do you think it would fix the direct only signal? I mean... it is always quiet without direct outs plugged in.

It's always possible that a ground loop is being created between you and the main board. If you have more than 1 unit in your rack that is connected to ground, you could still be grounding YOUR entire rack. Like mr_fender I use isolation tabs ('Humfrees'). This way your unit is not unintentionally grounded. If that doesn't work, you might also try one of the Ebtech units (Hum Eliminator) - effectively a pair of isolation transformers, but I think you'd need to use 1/4" ins and outs. NOPE - just checked their site (Ebtech - Audio Solutions) and they make an XLR version as well. FWIW, I keep two of these units around just in case.

Thanks for the replies! I will check into some of this. I actually think I have an ebtech somewhere around here…inherited it.

It is odd though, seems like you would not need to do anything but plug this thing in but I guess it's the nature of the beast.

Back
Top Bottom