Ground Control Pro preset question

BillE

I'd like to know whether it's possible to programme the Ground Control Pro so that the presets call up any preset of my choosing on the Axe, not just one with the same number.

I'm in a cover band, so the preset changes are rigid for each song. For this particular situation, I'd like to just step on the +/YES switch on the GC Pro to scroll through prearranged preset changes. Let's say a song has the 6 preset changes clean > distorted > clean > distorted > lead w/wah > clean. These might be presets 0 (clean), 1 (distorted) and 2 (lead w/wah) on the Axe-Fx. I'd like to programme the GC so that presets 0 to 5 switch to presets 0 > 1 > 0 > 1 > 2 > 0 on the Axe.

Is this possible? Can I programme, say, preset 17 on the GC to call up preset 105 on the Axe? I've gone through the GC manual and it seems that it's not, although I may be missing something. Of course, I could programme these changes in a linear fashion in the Axe itself, but I'd need to duplicate presets in different locations and this starts adding up after a while.

yes...(going from memory here..) you just set each device as a midi channel in the gcpro and name them. then on each preset, just tell it what midi device you want to send the change to, and what number you want to change. You could have (insert max program change number here) different things, all get a different midi change number.

dave

Thanks for that, I have it figured out now. The only slight limitation, if I'm reading the manual correctly, is that the GC only lets you access any program (I guess they mean preset, on the Axe-Fx) from 0 to 128. I doubt I'll use that many presets on the Axe anyway.

The other slight limitation is the GC's 200 presets. I've just programmed the first song and there are 14 (GC) preset changes. But the others should have 3 or 4 at most. Realistically it should be enough.

cool.. glad i could help. I sold my gcpro a long time ago for an fx1.

hmm.. 14 preset changes for a song? wow... maybe you would do better with doing the split mode of the gcpro.. bottom for presets top for cc's, and use the cc's to turn stuff off and on?

dave

Yep, I'm definitely considering doing it this way after programming that first song. Ultimately I'd like to have it set up with cc's for original material anyway, but it's very convenient to just have to step on one button for the cover stuff. Perhaps I'll give it a try both ways and see which I prefer. The cc route is definitely more flexible ultimately.

Back
Top Bottom