Ground Control Pro - Expression pedal Calibration?

Izzyprad

Inspired
Hello,

I just bought a Boss FV 500L expression pedal to use with my Ground Control Pro. Everything works fine but there is a sudden change around 30% when going from heel to toe position. I am thinking that is because I need to calibrate the pedal with Ground Control Pro. I went through the GPC menu and all that, but I can't seem to locate where I can do the calibration.

Anyone?

Well .... from what I see over on the Voodoo Labs forum there seems to be no way to calibrate an external pedal via a GCP function.

I used Mission pedals into my GCP and I let the Axe 'learn' them and got a full cc sweep range - the Boss FV might not do this quite as well due to the nature of it's pot.

Here's another forum reference

Last edited:
Calibration on the Axe is only for Axe pedal port(s). GCP has no calibration function. The only real options here are verifying that things are set up correctly or trying a different pedal. Some things to check:

TRS cable, connected to FV Expression jack?

FV minimum volume knob at 0?

What's the pedal controlling? If it's an Ext Ctrl assigned to some parameter, not enough details in OP to know if you've ruled out auto-engage as the cause of the sound change.

Guys, thanks for chiming in!

Well everything works fine, I can control anything. It is just that going from heel to toe...
> The first 30% movement on the pedal only changes the MIDI controller from like 0-20
> Then the next 40% movement on the pedal changes the MIDI controller from like 20-110
> The the remaining 30% movement on the pedal only changes the MIDI controller from like 110-127.

So my problem is that it is not acting linear. Yes, I was assigning knob control to "External 1" on the Axe FX.

To answer your questions:

1. TRS cable, connected to FV Expression jack?
>> Yes

2. FV minimum volume knob at 0?
>> Yes

3. What's the pedal controlling? If it's an Ext Ctrl assigned to some parameter, not enough details in OP to know if you've ruled out auto-engage as the cause of the sound change.
>> I was trying to control wah wah pedal, I also tried volume pedal. I haven't assigned auto engage.

Calibration only sets the minimum and maximum values to the position of the pedal itself. Some units like the Midimate and GCP have no calibration function.

What your issue is, is the taper of the pedal. When you set the pedal to External 1 or whichever, and set it as the controller for something, you can set the taper curve in the Axe Fx.

Is there any change in value at all during the first or last 15% or so of travel? If not and the value change is pretty linear throughout the 15-85% range, that's not uncommon. One thing that might improve how it seems is adding some kind of stoppers to limit it to that physical range. I've done the same with a Roland EV-5 pedal and it's much nicer to have immediate change from either extreme instead of dead zones.

Even if there aren't true dead zones, you could still limit it to whatever range is fairly linear, then turn up modifier scale to make the new value range cover the full Y axis.

Back
Top Bottom