Wish Green Ringer - analog octave up without fuzz

pavel.dashkov

It would be great to add Dan Armstrong Green Ringer model or one of its clones - EQD Tentacles, Lovepedal Believe etc.
It provides most of octave fuzz charm but without fuzz, so you can combine it with your favorite amp or drive. Or use it with clean amp for ringing artifacts.
It is the only pedal I miss since moving from pedalboard.

Attachments

• Green-Ringer-Schematic.png
    Green-Ringer-Schematic.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 8
Just back off the drive on the octave fuzz and it’s pretty much a “clean” octave up.

I used to have all the Armstrong plug into the guitar jack “pedals” and also tried the EQD clone. Both were just that pretty generic 12th fret octave sound ala an Octavio, octavia etc

Isn't that just a Ring Modulator? There's one in the box already
When you play intervals it sounds similar to ring modulator, but it fit to harmony much easily. In fact it is rectifier - totally different mechanics.

Just back off the drive on the octave fuzz and it’s pretty much a “clean” octave up.
I've tried it but I haven’t got the same softness and dynamics yet. Sometime it's too dark, sometime too sharp, but not in the between. It is ok for Hendrixish stuff and leads, but not as good for rings on chords etc.

When you play intervals it sounds similar to ring modulator, but it fit to harmony much easily. In fact it is rectifier - totally different mechanics.
Did you turn Pitch Tracking on in the Ring Mod? With that on and Multiplier set to 1 I think you should be getting an octave higher.

I'm fairly new to Ring Mod and no experience with Green Ringer but maybe that will help?

I think is like digitech silver pedal FreqOut with a feedback in different harmonies

Last edited:
My understanding is that the Green Ringer isn't a ring mod, but a full wave rectifier. A ring mod can do full wave rectification with the right modulator settings on a simple waveform, but guitar waveforms are a lot more complex than analog synths'. +1

My understanding is that the Green Ringer isn't a ring mod, but a full wave rectifier. A ring mod can do full wave rectification with the right modulator settings on a simple waveform, but guitar waveforms are a lot more complex than analog synths'. +1
Would that not be the same as the Rect drive type in the Drive block? As used by the Octavia Drive type?

As @unix-guy notes, I use a drive block with a low gain OD, keep the gain low, choose FW RECT as the clip type - gets super close to the Green Ringer. Run this into a second drive block with fuzz and, blammo, you can pretty much nail things like the EQD Hoof Reaper.

Would that not be the same as the Rect drive type in the Drive block? As used by the Octavia Drive type?
Indeed, it would be that drive type. I wasn't aware of that feature and presumed it was unique to the Octavia. I think the treble boost or FET boost set to "FW Rect" sound very similar to the Green Ringer.

Similar idea as the Octavia. Green ringer uses a transistor phase splitter to provide out of phase copies of the signal for full wave rectification while the Octavia uses a small center tapped transformer. Both use a matched pair of diodes to chop the signal.

Back
Top Bottom