Great FRFR shootout on youtube....RCF Mackie Alto QSC

Great shootout!
To me, the mackie speakers sounded best, then the RCF and i actually liked the ALTO after Mackie and RCF. The QSC types was not very good sounding IMHO.

Were the speakers all auditioned from the same spot in the room? It doesn't sound like it.

That was my sense. The RCF 310a sounded really distant compared to others. I don't have a horse in the race as my race has been won by RCF NX10s. My main sense was, "wow, the Axe sure sounds great if that's what people are hearing through the PA."

That was my sense. The RCF 310a sounded really distant compared to others. I don't have a horse in the race as my race has been won by RCF NX10s. My main sense was, "wow, the Axe sure sounds great if that's what people are hearing through the PA."

+1

That was great thanks, and perfect timing as I was just thinking about ordering an alto so the 112 and 115 clips were very handy. Not the best of the bunch but the 115 sounded pretty good to me and at probably a grand cheaper than an RCF here in Australia, definately worth a go.

The difficulty is always with FM and variances in what the guy is playing. Ideal, I'd think, would be use use the looper and then maybe normalize all of the segments to the same level. Even then, you'd want to try and get all of the speakers the same distance from the mic or else room/distance variations start creeping in. You can hear how some speakers are farther away in the video...

TT

The demo is pointless for everyone but those present in the room. Seriously. Two room mics capturing speakers in different locations tells you zip about their quality. They will hit the mics at different angles with differing boundary reflections, phase cancellations etc. In addition, the patches are made on a certain rig and would require a somewhat different treatment on others. Totally impossible to come to any conclusions from such comparisons. You'll have to be there yourself!

Last edited:
I've got to agree with Trazan on this.

I would much rather hear the OP's thoughts on what he heard/felt while he was in the room.

Dunno why you guys on here have to criticise everything, clearly it's not a scientific audio experiment and why would it be when it's going to be a compressed YT movie played back on everything from ipad's to $10 pc speakers.

Personally I say well done to these lads, who've clearly gone to a lot of effort to produce this.

Not criticizing so much as just pointing out things that an 'untrained' listener might be influenced by.

I personally welcome all types of shootouts, as there may always be a couple of useful things learned. The impressions from the people in the room ARE important though, and I do miss that part.

A table of people in the back with 1-10 ranking cards to hold up after each speaker demo would be swell.:)

TT

Dunno why you guys on here have to criticise everything, clearly it's not a scientific audio experiment and why would it be when it's going to be a compressed YT movie played back on everything from ipad's to $10 pc speakers.

Personally I say well done to these lads, who've clearly gone to a lot of effort to produce this.

Nobody's criticizing intentions or effort. I find it only right to point out the facts to those that might think they can draw conclusions or hear speaker differences in such a recording. It's mostly deceiving. Nothing personal ;)

I wish I had the resources to do a comparison with iso booths, mic's and every FR speaker under the sun from cheep to sky's the limit. Kudos to the OP for giving it a go, I just wish I could have read the different models used in the vid.

I wish I had the resources to do a comparison with iso booths, mic's and every FR speaker under the sun from cheep to sky's the limit. Kudos to the OP for giving it a go, I just wish I could have read the different models used in the vid.

It's my understanding that they used the same guitar and patch for entire video to minimize extra variables.

If you mean the speaker models, well... never mind.

TT

I did a shootout with most of the speakers used in this vid and a couple besides and I left with an RCF HD12a. It was a no brainer too. So organic and dynamic. You could hear everything.
They all sounded good but the RCF was great. And the HD12a was a lot better than the HD10a too. More seperation and headroom.
The best guitar sound I've ever had. Easily.

Back
Top Bottom