Great AxeFX results @ last nite's auditon.

rmbaylin

Inspired
Went to an audition last for a country band that plays the new hot country sound. I played my Axe-FX II through my Matrix 1000 and into Port City 1x12. I used my Godin LGXT guitar, because I was too lazy to re-string the PRS or Tele. It all sounded great together. MFC on the floor to turn on/off effects. Easy setup, no buzzes or cabling issues, no noise either.

Patch I used was the Mr Z 38 stock (cab sims off) and swapped the drive to the Eternal Love and added a bit more drive. They were really happy with my tone. The other guitarist/singer played a Stiletto 150W head into a Mesa 4x12. His tone was really good for that country "tele" sound, but my rig not only kept up volume wise (they were L-O-U-D!) but the delay and reverb was so clean on the Axe-FX. The gritty drive tone was very clear. It had that "tube-y-ness". He was a tone freak, and was listening to all the nuances in my tone (can only wonder what he thinking about the playing!)

On "Jason Aldean - She's Country" I was able to back off the mag pups, and use the piezo scooped out in order to get that plinky banjo intro sound. The Mr Z sounds great, and it's so reactive to the volume knob I was able to add more grit with the volume knob (they way I like it). Also I finally had a chance to use the X/Y for the Delay to get two different delays (one for the hook, one on the verse) on "Keith Urban Sweet Thing". It sounded fantastic. The sound man (yes there was a sound man for the audition) wouldn't take the XLR out direct to the board and decided to mic my cabinet, but after we were done, he was asking me a lot of questions about "how exactly do you go direct?" "next time, we can give it try".

In fact I think they like my tone more than my playing! eeesh.... lol. We'll see if I get asked back for a second round. But either way it was nice to know how the Axe rig compares to a monster tube rig of high quality.

Did I say it was LOUD?

Thanks guys. I've got another few auditions lined up, so hopefully I can get coax more great tones. These next bands are so different. 90's Rock/Grunge and the second is POP (Maroon 5, Jason Mraz, Pink...).

Thanks for the letting us know.

I hope you get the Gig !

I was country when country was not cool.

Last edited:
No video, it was an audition for the band, but they treated it like it was a gig - sound man, lights, PA, the whole nine yards. I should have setup my smartphone and grabbed some video! Next time i'll remember to do that.

Thanks for the letting us know.

I hope you get the Gig !

I was country when country was not cool.

I hate to break it to you, but it still isn't. The new cool is guys that try to look Amish and play folk music, or the ones who wear skinny jeans and nerd glasses with ironic mustaches that play folk music. :geek

I recently got a gig with a new band - playing my AFX2 and GT1000 into my Zilla 2x12. The other guitarist uses a Strat into a Blues Deluxe Reverb, so I took my Tele (rather than my preferred PRSs) as it would complement his rig and the songs the band play. I use 3 amp sims, the Badger 18, the Shiva clean and the Cornford. Sounds a little hard in the upper mids to me (though Im practically living on the bridge PU, and there 50s PUs) but the other guitarist loves the sound and it sits in/cuts through the mix really well. Its loud !!!.

Us two guitarists are getting together to tone tweek next week. Put his guitar through the AFX rig (so we can see how close that is to his amp), tone match his settings (including his OCD up front), and fine tune patches (I used some of my stock patches, untweeked for the bands music). Should be fun.

Awesome. Keep us posted if you guys try direct next time and your overall thoughts. Can't decide which way to go with my setup...

Back
Top Bottom