grain of tube

Algone

Inspired
Hi,
what is for you the most influential parameters to bring out the grain of tube?
I play only with hi gain amp but i'm not satisfied with the sounds I found, not realistics:|

1) what monitors/headphones are you using?

2) what is your input gain at?

3) are you using lo-cut in the cab block at least 100Hz?

4) try using no mics in cab block

5) for hi-gain amps, don't turn amp drive or master too high (ex MV = 4-5; Drive = 3-6, depending on amp)

6) try drive pedal before amp, with drive between 0 and 2.5

Try turning triode hardness up a modest amount; it is supposed to be connected to an effect that causes "high-end sizzle", which could be part of what you mean by "grain".

I found pulling back (counter-clockwise) the Xtransformer parameter (I never know what it's actually called) in most of my high gain heavies really opens up the amp. Gives it teeth. I think this'll give you more "grain" per se, than the actually specs of a virtual tube.

Believe me, I'm a toob addict, so this parameter really assisted in my going from fence-sitting with the A2 to getting right into and lovin' it for what it can do.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for your answers, i will try your tips, i have my Axe since 1 month and i try to assimilate all the parameters, it's not an easy work :disgust:

I play with a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphone or an Atomic Reactor 50/50 poweramp in a Krank 4X12 cab.

My biggest thing with all my high gain patches is putting a t808 or t808mod before the amp. I set the tone, mix and volume all the way up and my gain all the way down

Make sure power amp and cab sims are disabled when using the real amp/cab.
The Atomic is a FR (full range) poweramp, i can use the PA sim for more setting ;)

I use me too avec TS808 for boost.

I'm looking for the "Xtransformer parameter" without succes :|

Last edited:
Make sure power amp and cab sims are disabled when using the real amp/cab.

This .

I think this is part of the problem out of the gate.
You are running a tube power amp I believe into a 412 cab.

Even if the Atomic does have a PA sim or out to a flat response moniter , Your Krank 412 is NOT capable of a flat response.

I think you should try turning off the cab sims ,there is another thread here where people have had great success tuning the Axe fx response to the cabinet.

Its explained where if you set the cab resonance to somewhere between 80 and 120 hz you will find your cabs sweet spot and match it .

good luck

With my headphone i turn off the cab sim, i use a Tone Match of the Krank 4X12, on the Atomic i use the PA sim but turn off the cab sim, you think than i must turn it on?
Sorry if I do not quite understand.
It's true, i have more difficulty to bring out the grain tube on the 4X12 than the head phone.

The Atomic is a FR (full range) poweramp, i can use the PA sim for more setting ;)

It may be full range, but its a tube amp. The axe already has tubes in it :)

Really though, just experiment with PA sims on/off, and do whatever sounds best to you.

I wouldn't turn off poweramp sim, mine is ON with a mesa 2:90
Cab sim should be off

I also have the 2 90 driving 2 Marshall l1960b stereo cabs( both in stereo using 4 speaker cables) and I leave the power amp sim on. It sounds better to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom