gr 55 guitar synth v axe

Picked up the GR55 and I am really impressed with the tones... what I was looking for was a better flute, violin, organ and I find myself wasting hours playing piano. I plan to just sit it on top of the rack and use it sparingly in tunes. I need to go thru the next set list and see where I would need what. Thanks for that sticky tape idea. Though it mounts easy and vanishes pretty well on my black Tak LP, the Suhr is really the #1.

It's a great unit and complement to the Axe. Check out the VGuitar Forum as there is a lot of useful info there not to mention an editor that Roland should have developed but didn't

Some people will disagree but I've actually been surprised by how well it tracks with an external unit to. Obviously an axon or even GI-20 (haven't tried either yet) might do it a bit better but if you ever want to expand your sounds looks for a cheap rack synth too. I've been messing with using it with a Yamaha Motif Rack. I actually find it to track better somewhat with the external sounds by just a little bit.

I have a GR33 and an VG99. I'd sell 'em both and get a GR55, but it's more limited on the COSM guitar modeling side of things than the VG99 is. With the VG99, you can run two separate guitar sims simultaneously, which brings in all kinds of interesting possibilities.

If you set it up right, you can run either the VG99 or the GR55 into the Axe-FX and use the AFX's amp modeling and effects, while using the guitar modeling and synth sounds in the VG99 or GR55 as a second "front end." For instance, you could run a guitar cable from the guitar into the instrument input of the AFX, while running the outputs of the VG99/GR55 into the Input 2 section of the AFX, and inputting it into the signal chain in the AFX with an FX Loop block. You could then have an entirely separate signal path within the AFX for the VG/GR unit--meaning you could conceivably have three different "guitars" going into the AFX simultaneously if you use a VG99, or two guitars and a synth if you run a GR55.

God, the possibilities are mind-boggling. :lol:

For instance, you could run a guitar cable from the guitar (out of the GR-55) into the instrument input of the AFX, while running the outputs of the VG99/GR55 into the Input 2 section of the AFX, and inputting it into the signal chain in the AFX with an FX Loop block. You could then have an entirely separate signal path within the AFX for the VG/GR unit--meaning you could conceivably have three different "guitars" going into the AFX simultaneously if you use a VG99, or two guitars and a synth if you run a GR55.

That's how I run it.

I think I'll just run the GR to the board. The other guitar player does that with his variax. Right now, I have the axe going into half the matrix and the GR into the other side-just to figure stuff out at home. The switching works well enough. I put a type of sound on each group of three, my favorite the first, and then use the controller on the guitar to go up and down. The swap feature is nice, since I seem to have a hard time staying with a favorite-and I dont even have access to the VG guitar site and all those patches. The flute blows me away(badpun). I do a flute solo in moondance, and putter around in the background the whole song-and it nails it.

Very cool piece 'o gear. 3-4 songs a set I will use it-probably more as I get used to it and switching in and out of it. The rest I'll just use the axe-really loving my amp tones in there. If it blows up, I still have the axe presets that arent bad. Getting really spoiled with the keyboard sounds. I need to come up with a handful of good amp tones(not over effected) in the GR in case my axe2 dies. They can back each other up in a pinch. Now I can free up those presets in my performance-15 bank for more Chef wierdness! Still trying to figure out where the throw morse code in the set...

Back
Top Bottom