gr 55 guitar synth v axe

the gr55 is definitely not a toy....the ability to use alternate tunings or downtune a 6string to 8string levels is very impressive, as well as the ability to have instant doubled synth souds with a guitar is spectacular.You can do that with the onboard cosm sounds, or better yet, run a regular cable to the axe for the distorted guitar sounds.Most people are aware that the gr55 has near flawless tracking on about 90% of the patches, but the tracking on the piano sounds is pretty horrible regardless of technique.The synth sounds tracking is scary good, as well as the sitar and xylophone sounds
Sure it's fun, but the GR55 has too many limitations, and when compared with the Axe Fx ... well you are selling it so that says enough !
For me the main limitation is I had to destroy one of my strats, drilling holes in it and all that , to put in the stupid midi pickup, and then having to have the damn 15pin midi cable hanging out of the guitar all the time.
Major pain in the a**.

Sorry I must be in a crabby mood this afternoon.:roll

Fair enough.
So, do you have the GK3 pick up on your strat, going into GR55 , and normal output jack on the strat into the Axe Fx ? ie. 2 cables out of your Strat?
This is what I have done in the past.
But it can get messy.

I'm only using the 13-pin cable with the GK pickup. I run both the real pickups & the modeled pickups out of the back of the GR-55 into the Axe. With the GK pickup, the real pickups only need to drive a 6 inch cable into the 100K input impedance of the buffer. I don't notice any significant difference between the sound of my pickups coming out the back of the GR-55 vs. going from the guitar into the Axe - other than very little, if any, loss of highs as I roll back the volume. I use low capacitance Elixir cables, so I suppose if you use typical cables or high capacitance coil cables, you'll notice a difference simply because of the lower capacitve load of the GK pickup input.

For me the main limitation is I had to destroy one of my strats, drilling holes in it and all that , to put in the stupid midi pickup,

I install the GK-3 pickup with that removable double sided tape (3M Command). I trim it to the size of the pickup with just a little tab sticking out that I can grab with a needle nose pliers for removal. It's totally revertable at any time without any holes.

Last edited:
Sure it's fun, but the GR55 has too many limitations, and when compared with the Axe Fx ... well you are selling it so that says enough !
For me the main limitation is I had to destroy one of my strats, drilling holes in it and all that , to put in the stupid midi pickup, and then having to have the damn 15pin midi cable hanging out of the guitar all the time.
Major pain in the a**.

Sorry I must be in a crabby mood this afternoon.:roll

i agree about the 13 pin being a major pain, but it is more expansive than limiting with alternate tunings, drop tunings, and the ability to get as much as 3 entirely different tones(at least with my carvin which has regular pickups, piezo, and the 13 pin)...and i am selling because i want an mfc and have been unemployed for 9 months, not because i don't love it...and this is the only place i have listed it so i am not really trying too hard...after watching a few more vids i hadn't loaded into my cpu yet this weekend i am not even sure that is a good idea....i like the whole sci fi aspect of guitar synth.....but of course i like the axe more by itself.the abilty to use the 2 together is something i have barely experimented with and would love to explore further

i agree about the 13 pin being a major pain, but it is more expansive than limiting with alternate tunings, drop tunings, and the ability to get as much as 3 entirely different tones(at least with my carvin which has regular pickups, piezo, and the 13 pin)...and i am selling because i want an mfc and have been unemployed for 9 months, not because i don't love it...and this is the only place i have listed it so i am not really trying too hard...after watching a few more vids i hadn't loaded into my cpu yet this weekend i am not even sure that is a good idea....i like the whole sci fi aspect of guitar synth.....but of course i like the axe more by itself.the abilty to use the 2 together is something i have barely experimented with and would love to explore further

I have a Brian Moore guitar , the GR-55 and the Axe II. The combination is incredibly diverse. I use GR55 for Synth and Alternate Tunings and the Axe for all Piezo and guitar sounds. The GR-55 is not a toy and in a live setting can be incredibly good. I wouldn't part with it so quickly.

I did this with the GR55 doing Horns and Keyboard and Axe doing the Piezo Acoustic

Does Anybody Really Know - YouTube

I have a Brian Moore guitar , the GR-55 and the Axe II. The combination is incredibly diverse. I use GR55 for Synth and Alternate Tunings and the Axe for all Piezo and guitar sounds. The GR-55 is not a toy and in a live setting can be incredibly good. I wouldn't part with it so quickly.

I did this with the GR55 doing Horns and Keyboard and Axe doing the Piezo Acoustic

I assume you had the pedal on the GR-55 blending both piano and horns? Which vocal harmonizer? Voicelive 2?

I assume you had the pedal on the GR-55 blending both piano and horns? Which vocal harmonizer? Voicelive 2?

When pedal is depressed horns (toe) and when pedal is up piano (heel). That's another cool feature of the unit. And Voice Live Rack for the chorus. I like it because i have it racked with my Axe and can feed the signal easier while minimizing an already large pedal space (MFC and GR55)

When pedal is depressed horns (toe) and when pedal is up piano (heel). That's another cool feature of the unit. And Voice Live Rack for the chorus. I like it because i have it racked with my Axe and can feed the signal easier while minimizing an already large pedal space (MFC and GR55)
Good job.
Reminds me what I used to do with the GR55 but have stopped using it since I got the Axe Fx.
Maybe I should get it out and start playing with it again.:razz
I use the Voicelive 2 also.
Man that unit kicks ass...

Good job.
Reminds me what I used to do with the GR55 but have stopped using it since I got the Axe Fx.
Maybe I should get it out and start playing with it again.:razz
I use the Voicelive 2 also.
Man that unit kicks ass...

You should. It is a great unit along with the axe. I think they complement each other well. And voice Live stuff is great too especially if you are in a small band

cool jam, love the mirror in the back.....yeah, i really don't want to get rid of either it or the carvin but most of the projects i have planned right now will just be using the axe and i really need the mfc to pull them off for the videos.i could get by without one for recording audio but i need some midi switching for the youtube videos.i might just get a cheaper midi controller if i can't sell it, although it remains to be seen if i can actually get the thing to work considering my midi knowledge is absolute zero

I also forgot to say...Great job!!! Is that your brother on the drums?

cool jam, love the mirror in the back.....yeah, i really don't want to get rid of either it or the carvin but most of the projects i have planned right now will just be using the axe and i really need the mfc to pull them off for the videos.i could get by without one for recording audio but i need some midi switching for the youtube videos.i might just get a cheaper midi controller if i can't sell it, although it remains to be seen if i can actually get the thing to work considering my midi knowledge is absolute zero

I'm sure you could get it to work but the MFC is so well integrated with the axe that it is worth the investment IMO.

Good luck.

I love the idea of it. I just dread the added complexity. I already have 10 presets in the axe for odd stuff, and 5 for amps tones. violin/flute/B3/siren/synths etc. I know the 55 can do that better, but the idea of that on the floor next to the MFC and three pedals...and the wire. I think that is the big worry for me. I do wireless now. Just plugging in for the tunes I need it for -that is a great idea I hadnt considered. Seriously considering it.

I love the idea of it. I just dread the added complexity. I already have 10 presets in the axe for odd stuff, and 5 for amps tones. violin/flute/B3/siren/synths etc. I know the 55 can do that better, but the idea of that on the floor next to the MFC and three pedals...and the wire. I think that is the big worry for me. I do wireless now. Just plugging in for the tunes I need it for -that is a great idea I hadnt considered. Seriously considering it.

Just rack the GR-55 and control it with your MFC... I think this is where I will eventually head with it. Although I did just buy an axon ax50 to use with my motif rack.... I have also discovered that the midi out of the GR-55 controlling the motif actually works better i think. The piano's not only sound better on the motif but also seem to track better with the midi out from the GR-55. Weird but that has been my experience. While I'm enjoying the sounds of the motif better I must say the gr-55's flexibility is probably going to be more important in the end. I find it easier to navigate and control. Plus you have the ability to have all the alternate tuning and guitar modeling going into the axe as well... I haven't used the Axon yet. Just received it yesterday.

I have the Axon Ax 100 Mk 2 with a Roland Fantom XR rack mount for sounds. It works well once you dial in the Axon sensitivity and attack properly ( I have 3 different attack and sustain presets so i can adapt for the different Roland sounds). I plan on getting the VG-99 or the GR-55 this week (probably the GR to save $$). looking forward to blending all three synths with my rig :) I use an fcb1010 as a master controller right now but it wont be the final controller.... that video kinda put me over the edge on buying. :)

Picked up the GR55 and I am really impressed with the tones... what I was looking for was a better flute, violin, organ and I find myself wasting hours playing piano. I plan to just sit it on top of the rack and use it sparingly in tunes. I need to go thru the next set list and see where I would need what. Thanks for that sticky tape idea. Though it mounts easy and vanishes pretty well on my black Tak LP, the Suhr is really the #1.

Back
Top Bottom