Got tired of MFC 101 silence - Gordius on the way

jzgtrguy said:
Please keep us posted on your Gordius LG experience.
Well...I've learned about presets--holy smokes. Download the manual if you want to know more. I ain't gonna type it.
I probably missing something, but in the LG it appears there are three types of presets synced to their respective patches, and each preset type can trigger any one of the "matching" patch types. Also, any one of the three types of patches can stream a variety of messages to outboard gear on a variety of channels as well as send internal commands to the LG. And a preset (switch) can also be a "go to" command, or even a trigger a bank dependency rule, which can re-configure the layout of presets on a bank. I'm just learning so I probably got some stuff wrong, but this LG is powerful.

I have an idea for navigation & here's the obsessive little flowchart. All that stuff above isn't even in this chart, it's only navigation All this navigation is already built into the LG, the only difference is I would be selecting songs with keypad, which unfortunately the unit doesn't do at this time.

Basically in my idea flowchart here, all I've done is hit the keypad button and punched in 033, the LG does the rest, and of course any "patch preset", "stompbox preset", or "momentary effect" preset can be loaded into any one of the switches, and like I said, any preset (switch) can trigger a bank dependency rule, which can re-configure the layout of the presets on the bank....wild stuff. And at 13.5 X 6.5, it really is a Little Giant

Right now, I can run my show the way I've been by selecting presets with keypad (thanks Xavier!) but if I could navigate songs...holy smokes. The flowchart says it all.
4118549563_2c685b0f58_o.jpg

I have that cable. Works like a charm.

Have to give Xavier even more credit. He has been extremely helpful, evne to a midiot (loved that expression) as myself. I had no experience in programming midi-controllers before this, but I find the LG very intuitive and easy even for a beginner, and it still holds all the advanced functions needed.

I just love it!

I'm still having an issue getting midi signals from the FX to the LG, but this will be fixed in the LG2. Xavier has been very helpful suggestion workarounds, I just haven't had the chance to test them yet.

If Midi from Axe to LG is a problem, put a buffer inbetween. I use a Quadra from Midi Solutions I had laying around.

I bought the simplest one from Midi Solutions, but it doesn't seem to receive power from the FX. It doesn't from my Digi003 either, but from the LG it works (the only place I don't need it....).

Got any good ideas how I can get power from the FX to the buffer? Do I need a special midi cable?

Sgt.Alexx said:
I bought the simplest one from Midi Solutions, but it doesn't seem to receive power from the FX. It doesn't from my Digi003 either, but from the LG it works (the only place I don't need it....).
Got any good ideas how I can get power from the FX to the buffer? Do I need a special midi cable?

My Quadra is between MIDI Out on the Axe-Fx and MIDI IN on the LG.
I tested right now: both the LG and the Axe-Fx supply sufficient power on their own to it, regardless if it's MIDI In or Out.
No special cable needed. Strange that your buffer doesn't work, which is it?

It's the Midi Solutions Merger (the little brother of yours)

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm

EDIT:
Ok, here's the deal.

1. I have connected the AFXs midi in/out to my Digi003r in/out. I have verified that midi is sent both ways. Ergo there is nothing wrong with the midi out on the AFX.

2. I have tried to power up the Midi Solutions Merger by connecting a midi cable to the in 1/power form the LG. It powers up

3. I have tried the same thing from the Digi003r's midi out. The MSM does NOT power up.

4. I have tried the same thing from the AFXs midi out. The MSM does NOT power up.

I have used the same cable in all examples.

There's a ghost somewhere that I can't seem to find..

Sgt.Alexx said:
It's the Midi Solutions Merger (the little brother of yours)

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm

EDIT:
Ok, here's the deal.

1. I have connected the AFXs midi in/out to my Digi003r in/out. I have verified that midi is sent both ways. Ergo there is nothing wrong with the midi out on the AFX.

2. I have tried to power up the Midi Solutions Merger by connecting a midi cable to the in 1/power form the LG. It powers up

3. I have tried the same thing from the Digi003r's midi out. The MSM does NOT power up.

4. I have tried the same thing from the AFXs midi out. The MSM does NOT power up.

I have used the same cable in all examples.

There's a ghost somewhere that I can't seem to find..

The Midi Solutions solution for drawing power from the MIDI signal doesn't seem to work on all devices (actually a MIDI OUT signal is not intended to power other electronics ). They are building a list of "non working devices" in their FAQ. I guess that they count on the ground lead (pin 2 of the MIDI OUT connector) being connected to the device ground. Which should be the case for shielding purposes, but isn't necessary for a working MIDI OUT.
But apparently this works with another Axe and another MidiSolutions device, so I'm not sure what is going on.

I guess I will have to ship you my unit for the v2 mod to get this working.

Either way, it's an amazing midi controller!

I finally took the time to start up the borrowed Axe-FX and have a closer look at that MIDI OUT problem. The cause is simple: apparently the Axe-FX uses a 3V buffer on the MIDI OUT stage, which is not really what the MIDI standard says. Result is that the receiving optocoupler only gets half of the current which it normally gets (with a regular 5V output buffer).
The next gen Little Giant (just released...) uses a "digital level" optocoupler (like most other MIDI gear I guess) which has a lower current threshold, doesn't have a problem with the 50% current drop. The "old" Little Giant has an analog optocoupler (output current proportional to input current), that's why doubling that resistor value compensates for the halved input current.

Still, strange that your Merger doesn't get Midi-powered while my Quadra does.

Sidivan said:
If the Gordius line was able to be powered via 7-pin Midi, it would be perfect for me. Phantom power is a must have for me though. Currently waiting on my jr... ordered on Sunday, got an email to confirm, did, and now silence. Didn't even give me payment instructions.
The V2 model (now available) has Phantom Power, aswell as all kinds of other cool stuff.

And the best part: same price!

(I can't wait to order mine....)

Sgt.Alexx said:
Well, then I'll patiently wait for your low cost midi buffer :)
I know, I suggested I might provide a low cost solution to solve this MIDI communication problem, instead of using a full blown MIDI buffer. I thought of integrating a few components in a MIDI cable jack perhaps. Now that I see what exactly is the problem, I don't think such a small fix is possible: with only 3V available from the Axe MIDI OUT, probably through a 220ohm series resistor, I can't fix that with just a few components. So it will be much easier after all to have that one resistor value changed inside the LG (which I could do for you - but when going through the hassle of shipping back the unit, you might as well have it fully upgraded to the next generation, giving you 7-pins phantom power and stuff...)

Back
Top Bottom