Got My Clean Sound!

ksmithdc

Inspired
I've been trying to dial in a great clean sound. I know there's not a whole lot of discussion about clean tones...they're not as sexy as the wild paint-peeling tones most people are working on. Still, it's essential to have at least one really decent clean sound. (Kinda like you need at least one good suit). LOL

Anyway, I was recently watching a Robben Ford video (on rhythm guitar). And on that video he was playing an old Goldtop Les Paul straight into an old Fender Super Reverb. And his tone was really really nice. I know, I know...it's Robben Ford. He could've been playing a day old dog turd into a garbage compactor and made it sing. But anyway, I was inspired by his clean tone. One thing I noticed is he does NOT use any modulation effects in his clean sounds. No chorus, phase shifters or flangers. In his albums, I hear reverb, some echo and that's about it.

I think I'm using the USA Clean (is that a Mesa or a Fender?). And the speaker cab is the 2x12 Botique (no RW...just the straight up one). That cab/IR has a really thick almost 3-D sound to it. It's hard to describe. I spent some time dialing in the gain levels (kept it squeaky clean) and EQ. (Mostly flat but I think I did have the bright switch engaged, and the presence was ramped up to 7-8.

For effects, I added some (post amp) medium spring reverb (with the levels set low...like 1.25 & the mix around 15%). I didn't want it to wash out the sound, just add a little bit of a tail effect. Reverb's one of those effects that's easy to over-use. I added some post-amp, mono tape delay (again set to really low profile) - 400ms, 15% feedback, 18% mix). But interestingly I thought it sounded better without the delay. Perhaps reverb & delay are too much? And then I added some compressor before the amp (pedal). Attack is at 6. Other than that, it's standard.

I'm really pleased with the sound. Complex jazz chords are my litmus test. If I can't hear all the tones, something's wrong. It sounds warm, clear & bell like... No shrill highs, no ice-pick in yer ear tones. Just a really SIMPLE clean, lush sound. Does it sound like Robben Ford? Hell no. I suck too much to get close to his sound. But it's still nice and pleasing to my ears.

Thank you Cliff for providing me with a palette of colors to play with.

Kevin
Pittsburgh, PA

Cool!

I'm like you in that I like to have a really sparkling clean sound. So far I've gotten closest using the Shiva clean presets floating around but it sounds like you are ahead of me.

Did you post a preset? :)

Richard

Hi Richard,

I replied to your post - but it didn't go through for some reason.

Anyway, I found out I was using a Mesa Boogie clean (USA Clean 1) coupled with a Matchless 2x12 speaker cabinet (Botique 2x12). I'll try to add the preset later on.

Thanks,

Kevin

Cool thanks man!

My clean presets are nothing to write home about yet, just derivatives of the Shiva clean factory preset.

My Les Paul has really hot buckers and is hard to get a Fender patch that doesn't have any breakup.

Richard

Richard,

I dialed in the sound using my Warmoth stratoblaster. It's got two mid-low output humbuckers (neck = Alnico Pro 2; bridge = Custom Custom). They're def. not heavy metal pickups...so you may need to dial down the vol on your guitar a notch or two so it's not distorting. I did upload the Simply Clean patch as well as a new lead guitar patch called CAE+ Lead. They're in the preset/patch section of the forum. Please do me a favor and give me some feedback & comments - even if you think the sounds completely suck. I need objective 3rd party opinions...so I can evaluate how I'm doing with the patches. (I can't be object with stuff I'm working on).

Thanks!

Kevin

I will definitely check out the patches and comment, thanks!

I usually audition everything in my mix room with vintage NS10m speakers. These tend to be unforgiving in regards to harshness because they have a fairly pronounced mid push. But patches created here do okay on a lot of other systems. I have messed with amp / guitar cab with my Ultra a little bit not with my AxeII yet.

Richard

Although I love Fender tones for cleans I also love me some USA clean. It stays really nice and clean and has a lot of body and definition without getting too fat sounding. Nice :)

Cheers.

Richard,

Unfortunately I'm not going through a FRFR rig. I'm using a Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp (which is still pretty transparent) - but I'm going into a Mesa Boogie 2x12 cab with C90 speakers. It's going to color the tone to some extent. But anyway, I hope you dig the sounds as much as I do.

Kevin

Hi Soma,

Interestingly I was going for a Fender Super Reverb clean tone when I dialed in this. Ultimately we should use our ears and not our eyes to guide us to what we want.

Kevin

Although I love Fender tones for cleans I also love me some USA clean. It stays really nice and clean and has a lot of body and definition without getting too fat sounding. Nice :)

Cheers.

The USA clean is the same clean channel as the Mesa Studio preamp. That is one of the great sounding cleans of all time. Warm fat and doesn't overdrive easily. We've all heard that amp a ton whether we know it or not.

Richard,

Unfortunately I'm not going through a FRFR rig. I'm using a Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp (which is still pretty transparent) - but I'm going into a Mesa Boogie 2x12 cab with C90 speakers. It's going to color the tone to some extent. But anyway, I hope you dig the sounds as much as I do.

Kevin

Had a very brief run through in my mix room this morning (4 mo old baby that just started day care this week... so momma is upset :))

Interesting on studio monitors, the clean is a little flat. Aka needs some snap and presence. You are probably getting that from your rig.

But it is shiny clean with absolutely zero distortion... nice one!

I will try the Lynch tone when I get some spare minutes.

Richard

Richard,

Been there, done that re: the new baby & the upset momma. My advice - do whatever it takes to make momma happy. An unhappy momma = an unhappy household. And you don't want that.

I had previously dialed in clean tones. But upon re-listening to them after the honeymoon period was over, I found they were too reverb heavy & too sea-sick sounding with chorus. I started going down that road that all the 80's era jazz guys were doing. LOL

A great clean tone should not be a difficult thing to accomplish. But interestingly, nothing's easy. Hahahaha. Another Axe user told me he needs a crisper or brighter tone (I forgot how he described it) for use with pedal steel type sounds. It needed to cut through the mix more. My solution to that is to eq more high end/presence & stay away from modulation & ambient effects.

By the way, since we last chatted, I came up with a brand new high gain tone. This one is called "Ferocious D".

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom