Got Mac virus anti software suggestions?

L

luke

Every time I type a "p" it turns into "p0", so I suspect I have a virus.

Do you use McAfee or Norton for you Macs? Other options?

Try this.

Press Command + Option + Escape to force quit any application that is not responding.
Put your Mac to sleep by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Sleep. Wake the computer after it has gone to sleep.
Restart your Mac by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Restart.
Shut down your Mac by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Shut Down.

Reference: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Thank you I will give this a try.

Was reading on cnet about avast!, any good?

I haven't used Avast. But the above procedure may help, I had to do this on my mother's Mac as she never reboots and just let's it sleep. Hopefully it may sort the p and p0 out.

Clam AV is a free AV for Mac, and intego seems to be a good choice but opinion on whether AV is needed on a Mac is divided.

Nope

EBBEF496-46DD-4CCF-A2D5-9B922758993B-48556-000036C816811EA0.jpg

Isn't the P key pressing down 0 because something is stuck between the keys?

This sounds waaay more likely than a virus. Especially considering that caps lock has no effect. Try another keyboard, or pull the keys out and give them a clean.

EDIT: I didn't see that you had one of the mini mac keyboards. I'm not sure if those keys are meant to come out or not...

Try this.

Press Command + Option + Escape to force quit any application that is not responding.
Put your Mac to sleep by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Sleep. Wake the computer after it has gone to sleep.
Restart your Mac by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Restart.
Shut down your Mac by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Shut Down.

Reference: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Didn't work

Avast found 7 infected files none of which it can repair.

I don't.

The program deleted all infected files.

It does it on all browsers and programs.

If I hold shift it goes P) instead of p0

All surrounding keys work ok. Took top off but keyboard is attached to top as one sealed up piece.

I'm thinking compressed air as my next option.

Ok if the files are deleted rather than repaired ok. Trying an alternate keyboard may be worth trying and will prove off whether the issue is the keyboard or something else. Just about any old keyboard will do for this.

Luke, try plugging in a USB keyboard and see if the problem goes away. The keyboard may have some conductive material (liquid??) underneath or the silicone rubber buttons are misaligned - or just broken. I had a keyboard do this to me on other keys.

Back
Top Bottom